Disneyland or Versailles?

duder92

Earning My Ears
We are going to Paris for the first time next month. I know these are two totally different places, but we have time for one day trip out of the city and its either Disney or Versailles.

We are huge Disney fans, we are toying with the idea of visiting all the Parks in one year since we have already been to Tokyo, Orlando and LA this year. However, that milestone is not so big that it would prevent us from choosing to do Versailles instead.

We also enjoy museums and historical sites (we had a blast at Windsor Castle last year).

I feel most other places are too quick to dismiss Disney, so I wanted to get the opinion of fellow Disney fans.

So if you could only do one (and assume you wont be back in Paris anytime soon) what would you do?

I would do a spreadsheet comparison

1. Travel time to Versailles compared with travel time to Disney
  2. Travel options to Versailles compared with travel options to Disney
  3. Ticket price comparison
  4. Things to do once there comparison
  5. Food options comparison
  6. Shopping / merchandise comparison
  7. Weather ie indoor / outdoor things to do comparison
  8. Opening hours comparison

This is really a tough choice. We went to both DLP and Versailles in 2002 and returned to Versailles in 2012. This past summer we went to Windsor Castle. DLP has changed a lot since we were there and we will likely go back the next time we are in Paris. We enjoyed the park and while some attractions were similar, everything had something that was different from WDW. The atmosphere was definitely different and the park has things that aren't here in the U.S. With all the changes since we were there, we do plan to go back and may even stay overnight. Versailles is something that dwarfs Windsor Castle. The main chateau alone is enormous plus there is the Grand and Petite Trianon and the Queen's Hamlet. The gardens are extensive and depending on the day that you go the fountains will be working but I don't know what will be in bloom next month. Versailles is an exhausting day due to the size of the place but even though we've been there twice already, we know we haven't seen everything yet and will likely go back again. Both are an easy train ride out of Paris. You didn't say how long you will be in Paris or what else you may be doing. If you are already going to a lot of the fabulous museums and historical sites there, I might give an edge to DLP.

When you return home, would you be sorry if you said I skipped... [fill in the blank]?
I do agree with Piccolopat, what else will you be doing on your trip. If there are more castles or historic sites on your list, I would definitely choose Disney. It's fun to say you have seen all the Disney castles in the world :)

To be honest, Versailles is beautiful when it's Spring and everything is in bloom and the gardens are nice and pretty. That will not be the case in February.

Thanks for all of the replies.

We are in Paris for 4 days, would definitely love more time, but we hopped on a cheap airfare and a time where I could get away from work. We will be stopping by most of the headliners in Paris, at least as much as time allows for us to strike a balance of activities and just enjoying being there.

Karin, I do like your method, and my first instinct is that I would miss seeing Disney a bit more. It kills me that Phantom Manor will not be open, but I think ultimately we will still elect to go Disney.

Tough one. I love Versailles but visiting both Louvre and Versailles can be exhausting (they're different but they're both filled with artworks). If you plan to visit Louvre, you can skip Versailles and go to Disneyland. Personally, I would try to fit both. Visit Versailles very early in the morning so you can still have half a day in Paris after that and still go to Disneyland. (I actually would skip any other museums including Louvre if it means visiting both Versailles and Disneyland)

I went to Versailles a few years ago and was quite disappointed. The castle is beautiful, but maybe I'm too spoiled with castles in my home country because I thought it was way too crowded and nothing speciel. The garden however is very beautiful and a place I would like to visit again. So choosing between Disney and Versailles I would choose Disneyland at any time. But it depends on the person. :-)

We went to Versailles and Disneyland Paris late March 2017. I enjoyed them both but honestly was a little disappointed with Versailles, it was super busy full of coach tour groups and whilst it was beautiful weather the gardens weren't really in bloom. I would Choose Disney but you have to do what you think is best for you, if you go Disney will you be disappointed you didn't do Versailles or vice versa? Enjoy your trip whichever you choose :-)

We had this exact scenario 15 years ago- we went to Versailles and Im glad I did. The history behind it is pretty fascinating. Ironically we are headed back to Paris this year and will be stopping in Disneyland now that we have 2 kids with us. I am debating if we will still hit Versailles as well- given the planning we are doing for Disneyland- I don't think we could do it in just one day and I would be sad that I would have to leave!!

My sister went to Versailles last year and did this great bike tour with a picnic and got to skip lines, so we are thinking maybe we will do it that way this time- if thats your thing too!

And although Disney is different everywhere... Versailles is only in France...

We are crazy disney people too FYI :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter