Disneyland June 21-26, 2021

Piglet99645

DIS Veteran
Day 0 ~ Travel Day

WE MADE IT. It was touch and go last week when my son decided DL was still too risky due to the pandemic. But all 3 of us are vaccinated (kids are 20 and 15) and after some research he agreed it would be ok.

A 6 am flight to SNA and a convenient waiting cab gotus to our hotel right at check-in. Desert Inn and Suites. No line. Room was ready. I like the Parlor Suite here for the three of us. Bedroom has 2 queens and desk/TV/fridge/ microwave. The sink is outside bathroom with adequate counter space. Second room has a pullout sofa and tv. We each get a bed. The pullout really is comfortable even for an adult (2 adults might be pushing it). The price is right and the place is always clean. Sounds like housekeeping will be limited, which was not reflected in the price or disclosed on the website. I don’t care really but some people would understandably complain. They will bring fresh linens if you ask. Trash has to be placed outside door. A/c window unit seems to work fine.

Travel is exhausting for us so I didn’t plan to hit the park today. My daughter napped while my son and I went to DTD around 5 pm. Security and the esplanade were sparse, but once we got to the restaurants the crowd got thick. We abandoned the idea of counter service and got hot dogs and slushees from the Wetzels cart.

Later my daughter and I went to Mimi’s. Going to shower and get to bed early

The weather is beautiful. Low 70s. Tried out the UV umbrella and my son said it helped a lot.

Alarms are set for 6:55 am and 11:55 am all week to get ROTR and maybe Webslingers. We start at DL the next three days. Then a day off to rest. Tickets are printed and QR codes will be refreshed each evening. Park backpack is ready to go.

edited for typos.

Last edited:
Day 1 -

We were all awake early and two of us tried for ROTR. I hesitated a split second and got group 119. Our group was ultimately called at 3 pm. We were on track for about 1:30-2 when the ride went down. It was my second time but my son’s first. So fun. Because we were the first group after it went down, we walked the entire que without seeing anyone else. It was weird.

Harbor entrance was a breeze. We left our room at 8. Security opened every station right as we got to the end of the hoard, and we were through by 8:11. Turnstiles opened at 8:20. Rope drop at 8:40. We went straight to Indy and walked steadily until we were at the top of the stairs right before boarding. The ride went down at 8:59. It came back up after about 20 minutes. This set back our momentum but I still considered the morning a win.

Went and did Pirates, Splash, and Pooh with very little wait. Mobile order Lunch at Plaza inn was ok. Chicken, the apple salad, & kid pasta. I wouldn’t bother again.

Star Tours next. They added Princess Leia. Not sure how I feel about that. 15 minute wait. My son was ready for a break so he left.

My daughter and I jumped on the RR in Tomorrowland and got off at New Orleans square. Tried to look in shops while we waited for mobile order beignets, but not many are open yet. Seating was crowded by the mint julep bar. Beignets and mint julep were good.

At this point we thought we were an hour from ROTR so we killed time in fantasyland on Pinocchio and Mr Toad. My son came back to the park and we looked in the shops at SWGE until our boarding group was called.
Big thunder mtn had a 15 minute wait so we did that. Drink break at Red Rose. Then a walk out of the park down Main Street right before the flag retreat.

We hopped to DCA where Guardians had a 15 minute wait. Cut through Avengers campus and saw Loki. Rode Incredicoaster. Dinner at smokejumpers was AMAZING. Minute Cristo and brisquet Mac and cheese. S’mores shake was so good but 2 of us couldn’t finish it. Browsed through stores and back to hotel by 7. Without a midday break I’m wrecked.

This is great! Glad to hear that things are going pretty well so far.

Harbor entrance was a breeze. We left our room at 8. Security opened every station right as we got to the end of the hoard, and we were through by 8:11. Turnstiles opened at 8:20. Rope drop at 8:40. We went straight to Indy and walked steadily until we were at the top of the stairs right before boarding. The ride went down at 8:59. It came back up after about 20 minutes. This set back our momentum but I still considered the morning a win.

I'm so glad you posted this - super helpful! I'm staying at Camelot starting the 26th, and all the Harbor entrance stuff has been freaking me out. I'm glad to hear it's not so bad anymore! Leaving the room at 8ish is a lot better than I was expecting!

Can you walk us through your method for getting the Board Group for ROTR? Thanks!
There’s a whole thread on this so maybe better advice there. But I:

1. set an alarm for 10 minutes before.

2. Opened the atomic clock app on my phone.
3. My kids were both on their phones with DL app open to appropriate page.
4. I gave a one minute warning;30 second warning; 15, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2
5. At 2 my daughter refreshed by pulling down from top.
6. Click as fast as you can.

if you are doing it all by yourself I suggest closing every open thing on your phone at step 1. When your phone hits 6:59 or 11:59 count down yourself if you don’t have a clock with seconds to watch. Or just keep pulling down to refresh as it gets close. Good luck!

Day 2

64 degrees at 8 am
My daughter got us ROTR BG 38. Those video game reflexes beat me every time.

Left hotel at 8:10. Didn’t stop walking (except maybe 5 mins in security line) all the way to space mountain. (Security started moving as soon as we got there and the turnstiles had cleared by the time we got to them. Rope drop right as we got to Main Street at 8:30). SM Line was long but moved quickly first thing since they were only loading cars and not unloading. At 8:59 we pulled into the station after the ride and it broke down. We had to wait 3-4 minutes to get off. Way better luck than yesterday on Indy. (Sorry everybody behind us).

Rode Alice. No wait. Small world. No wait. Roger rabbit. No wait.

Bathroom break then our BG was called at 9:50.
Hopped on train that pulled into TT right then. Got off at NOS.

Walked to ROTR using Hungry Bear entrance. On and off ROTR by 10:50.

$45 mobile order lunch from Red Rose was underwhelming. Skip these burgers once Hungry Bear reopens. Not great. I do Recommend breakfast there when it’s open for breakfast again. The grey stuff was boring.

We had an Oga’s reservation at noon. We were seated in a booth with two other groups at 11:50, both going for ROTR at noon. We went for Webslingers. I counted down with the atomic clock and all three groups got BGs! The kids ditched me after they finished their first drink and went back to the hotel to rest.

I stayed at Oga’s and leisurely sipped my Takodona Quencher and visited with my new friends. The cantina was not full AT ALL. In March 2020 every spot was full. (Am I the only one who thinks there should be a singles night at Oga’s? Lol)

No kids meant whine-free shopping for me!!! I browsed the store in Frontierland. [On the way through the turnstiles this morning I snagged my Tinkerbelle backpack — that I’ve carried to the parks for at least 10 years — on something and tore one of the straps off. I Jerry-rigged a purse out of it]. I was thrilled to find a replacement backpack I really like for only $19.99, which is a bargain in the park.

As I was leaving Frontierland they were calling for folks to go in the Tiki Room so I popped in. I love the Tiki Room but it’s even better after some booze.

On Main Street I bought some Mickey bowls in the China Shop and scoped out T-shirts pending a final purchase decision later in the week. (I take pics of all the contenders).

I got an iced latte, sat on a bench by the flagpole, and listened to the marching band. Then a short walk to hotel for a nap at 2 pm.

81 degrees at 5 pm.
73 degrees at 7:30 pm

Web-slingers was very fun. I wouldn’t wait more than 30 minutes for it, like any other ride. Dinner at Lamplighter. The place was half empty. They sat 2 of us at a table for 5 with a great view of the Incredicoaster launch. My daughter was shocked to see it going with multiple empty seats so I said “GO.” She was gone and back in 12 minutes in time for Lobster Nachos (which were good but once was enough). I also enjoyed the 2319 Mocktail, but it was more like a dessert. Kind of filling before nachos.

Monsters Inc was 5 minutes. Then we did Gotg twice. Times were listed as 45, then 35, but we were in in under 20 both times.

Another successful day. ❤️

Day 3

BG 34 for ROTR.

We were slow today. Day 3 is always the tough one for us... Left hotel at 8:50 am. At turnstiles by 9:02 but the lines weren’t moving. Not sure if there was rope drop. I asked a CM at Jolly Holiday if there was rope drop but she didn’t know what rope drop was. Lol

ROTR called at 9:49 am. We finished our jolly holiday and strolled past Hungry Bear.... on and off ROTR by 11.

Things went off the rails after that.

We got in a 30 minute line for Haunted Mansion. It went down at the 30 minute mark when we were in the home stretch. We were in the shade so we stuck it out. My daughter likes the ride and my son (on the spectrum) was willing to try it again after hating it when he was little.

I had prepared him for the elevator. Not for the guy next to us to scream bloody murder in the dark after the recorded scream. He was so rattled he picked a fight with his sister (I wouldn’t let him yell at the guy in the elevator) and went back to the hotel. He gets credit for knowing when to remove himself.

I managed to get Webslingers at Noon.

My daughter and I did pizza port, space mountain, indy, and BTMR. At that point it was too hot for us, and she was done for the day.

My son and I went back for Webslingers, Soarin, a snack, Indy, and BTMR at sunset. So pretty.

No ride had a wait longer than 30 minutes all day except for the HM going down.

When the kids are not talking, I get to do the good rides twice! Lol. Ugh parenthood.

Day 1 I got 20,471 steps.
Day 2 - 20,603
Day 3 - 20,866.

I barely made it back to the hotel tonight. Lol.

I’m glad tomorrow is our rest day.

Neither kid was impressed with Webslingers. It just can’t compete with ROTR. I live the movies but overall Avengers campus falls flat for me. But I haven’t seen the live shows. Will try to catch some on Friday.

I appreciated my fellow Disers today for letting me vent in real time.

Tomorrow is laundry, shopping, and rest.

Last edited:
We had an Oga’s reservation at noon. We were seated in a booth with two other groups at 11:50, both going for ROTR at noon. We went for Webslingers. I counted down with the atomic clock and all three groups got BGs! The kids ditched me after they finished their first drink and went back to the hotel to rest.

I stayed at Oga’s and leisurely sipped my Takodona Quencher and visited with my new friends. The cantina was not full AT ALL. In March 2020 every spot was full. (Am I the only one who thinks there should be a singles night at Oga’s? Lol)
Were they taking walk-ups at Oga's? Were they taking them anywhere?

Day Off
Slept in. Browsed the fight I inadvertently started about Haunted Mansion on the boards. (Apparently it is debatable whether *purposefully* shrieking on a dark, crowded elevator is appropriate. Who knew?! Lol)

Desert Inn has credit card operated guest laundry. 2 washers 2 dryers. $3 each per load. Washers run just under 30 minutes. Dryers 45. I went to Denny’s and had breakfast while my washers ran. FYI, Denny’s breakfast is overall cheaper than IHOP 3 doors down. Denny’s staff were very nice. I found a $5 bill on the ground this morning and left it as a tip for my $14 breakfast in hopes of generating some good karma.

Headed to DTD for burgers and shakes at Black Tap. Did a little shopping. Mimi’s for dinner and a good night’s sleep before our DCA opening tomorrow.

Nothing exciting but very peaceful.

edited to add: 12,490 steps (more than a regular day at home)

Last edited:
Day Off
Slept in. Browsed the fight I inadvertently started about Haunted Mansion on the boards. (Apparently it is debatable whether *purposefully* shrieking on a dark, crowded elevator is appropriate. Who knew?! Lol)

Desert Inn has credit card operated guest laundry. 2 washers 2 dryers. $3 each per load. Washers run just under 30 minutes. Dryers 45. I went to Denny’s and had breakfast while my washers ran. FYI, Denny’s breakfast is overall cheaper than IHOP 3 doors down. Denny’s staff were very nice. I found a $5 bill on the ground this morning and left it as a tip for my $14 breakfast in hopes of generating some good karma.

Headed to DTD for burgers and shakes at Black Tap. Did a little shopping. Mimi’s for dinner and a good night’s sleep before our DCA opening tomorrow.

Nothing exciting but very peaceful.

edited to add: 12,490 steps (more than a regular day at home)

I've never scheduled a rest day in a Disney trip (land or world), but you're making it sound pretty appealing!

I hope tomorrow is wonderful!

We used to push through every day, getting up for rope drop. Now that I'm older :rolleyes: and my DS is a young adult and hates to get up early, we have to switch it up. Some days we get to rope drop. Some days we go a little later after more sleep. But because we are from out of state, we hit the parks every day. Some days we stay in the park until I'm beat, but we take a longish lunch break so I can rest my feet. Also, there must be time for shopping, so on those days, we leave in the early afternoon and hit the stores then relax at the hotel.

Looking forward to more trip reports!

:flower3:

Day 4

I couldn’t get the teens out the door until 8:45. Security was way backed up. So I suspect there is a window between 8:15-8:30 where it’s a bit quicker as they clear the early birds.

It was a DCA start day (not my preference) so we were going to do RSR first thing, but it was down for the first 45 minutes. Then it went right to 70 minute wait. We usually do that one single rider, so we may not do it this trip.

There is no mobile order breakfast in the park except for Pyms, so We had Cozy Cone churros for breakfast. Then we did Little Mermaid, Goofy’s Sky School, Jumpin Jellyfish, and Monsters Inc before my son ditched us, all with 5-10 minute waits. My daughter and I drew Minnie at Animation Academy. Then did Guardians with a 15 minute wait and IncredicoAster with 10-15. All that by 12:30.

We forgot to try for ROTR at noon. Woops.

DCA kind of drives me crazy because the 5-6 things I want to do are really far apart. Mobile orders for lunch were also delayed an hour, so we had time to kill in the shade waiting for our window to open at Smokejumpers at 12:55. Monte cristo and brisket Mac and cheese again. So good. (Service at Smokejumpers? Not great. Mobile orders only, no standby. But I got caught for 10 minutes behind people who “added a bunch of things” to their mobile order at the pickup counter.)

Overall the CMs are kind of off their game this week. I usually find the DL CMs pretty friendly, but I think they are just fried. I’ve seen/heard some standing around complaining to each other. I’ve tried to ask questions at boarding a couple of times (about size of seat - sometimes all 3 of us don’t want to be squashed) and have just been ushered to a car with no answer. Mobile orders can be kind of a s***show at times, and the CMs seem over it.

It wasn’t until day 3 that I realized there are hundreds of kids here between ages 2-11 who are unmasked. Unless they are in a vaccine trial they are unvaccinated and should be masked indoors. So yeah. Disney isn’t for everyone right now. We are vaccinated and my kids are masked 100% of the time by choice. Mine is on and off. Mostly off.

Anyway.... midday rest from 1:30- 4:30. Back to DL and walked on to Space Mtn, then ate dinner at Pizza Planet. Mobile order is the key there as the standby line is ridonkulous.

Big Thunder (10 minutes).

Indy (6 minutes, 5 of which was walking the que).

Pirates (walked on)

Autopia. $!&?@-ing Autopia. I have never once done this ride and had the wait be anywhere close to accurate. Wait time said 5, then switched to 10 on our way in. We waited at least 20. The B-Team was clearly running the show. Loading and unloading were disorganized. We had a great ride, though, until I forgot I had my foot on the gas (my kid was steering) and rear ended a lady at the end. I think I traumatized everyone involved.

We hauled all the way to Splash and did it twice. Then it was 9:02 and everything closed up tight (I wanted to shop Pooh corner). I was going to shop on Main Street but it was a ZOO.

The line of people waiting for a bus back to the parking garage made me want to cry for those poor people. If I lived here I’d still get a hotel across the street!!

The only things we haven’t done that we want to do are:
Snow White (only because it’s new)
Peter Pan
Smugglers run

And I need a Dole Whip, a Ronto Wrap, and one of those chocolate covered rice krispy diabetes-inducers.

Then I can go home.

21,995 steps.

Day 5

Last day. The day we do the stuff we missed plus as many favorites as possible.
Got Group 65 for ROTR.

Left the room at 8:45 again. No big backup at security this time and picked a line with no strollers. Turnstiles seemed to open at 9 unless they let people in for rope drop then closed them again. That seems unlikely.

Peter Pan was 30 by the time we got there at 9:10. Snow White was 20. We did both only because it was the last day.... most other rides showed 5-10 minute waits except Indy which was 45 by 9:10 am.
I ordered beignets, coffee, and a mint julep for after, on our way to ROTR. While we ate/drank that I mobile ordered lunch and dinner. Lol. The mobile order slots fill up right now. It’s a hot mess. (Later in the day I moved/cancelled things no problem).

We spent our 4th ROTR trying to figure out how it all works .... if anybody knows the secrets, message me. No spoilers here!!

Doubled back to the New Orleans Square railroad and rode to Tomorrowland for our Pizza Planet mobile order Lunch. My kids love that place.

The kids mercifully went back to the hotel at 12:30 and I finally got my Dole Whip and finished my shopping.

We went to DCA at 4:30 to do GotG twice in a row before a huge line formed behind us.
Dinner at Smokejumpers again because we lack imagination. Incredicoaster was down (thank God for the app) so we hopped over to DL. BIG thunder was 10 minutes, then went to our Ogas reservation. The Jedi Mind Trick is good.... (pro tip: you can order a cliff dweller without the porg mug for $6). The kids ditched Ogas and went to ride Indy again while mom drank.
We walked onto Pirates .... once a trip is enough for me but this was # 3. Then hit Splash and hauled to Space Mtn to be in line before closing. Kids got first row - so we ended the trip on high note. (Ice cream in DTD after).

22,572 steps

Things I didn’t get to do:

Smugglers run
Ronto Wrap
Pooh Corner

Closing thoughts and pics later. Headed to airport now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter