Disneyland Hotels

The least expensive of the 3 is the Paradise Pier Hotel. It is a two tower high rise hotel that Disney bought from private owners and remodeled with a slight "beachy" theme. It is rather bland though the rooms are tastefully decorated in a non frilly manner. The rooms are comfortable. Half the rooms look out over the new DCA park. Some of these can be great views. The pool is on the fourth floor "deck" (roof). It has no theme and hardly any greenery. It is fine but rather uninspiring.
The Disneyland Hotel is three older high rise towers that were built and operated by another corporation and bought by Disney in the early 90's. The place has been renovate extensively. The towers are also rather bland here but the room decore is very nice with loads of Disneyland touches. The rooms are quite large and have a vireity of views. All three towers look inward at the "courtyard where the Neverland themed pool and the quiet "beach" pools are. There are also restaurants and shops and other things in the courtyard. Two of the towers have Patkinglot / city views on their other sides and one (the Sierra Tower) has views of Downtown Disney, Disneyland and DCA. I like the rooms in the Sierra tower a lot. The rooms all have sliding glass doors that open against a railing and though there is no balconey it is a nice feeling of having the out doors coming inside.
The Grand Californian was built by Disney and is well themed and on par with the deluxe resorts at WDW. The lobby is verry nice and impressive. The rooms are comfortable but somewhat small and well decorated with views ranging from Downtown Disney, a small courtyard where the monorail runs through, across the roadway to the Disneyland and Paradise Pier Hotels. The pool courtyard with DCA in the background to some that are practically in DCA park. Most of the rooms have blaconies. It is an easy walk to eaither park with a private entrance into DCA.

DW & I stayed at Paradise Pier March 8-13. This was our first time at DL-been to WDW numerous times. Very clean, friendly cast members. We both agreed it reminded us of the Swan at WDW. The pool was closed during our visit, but it looked like a nice area-not really themed, but still OK. Rooms were clean & comfortable. We had a pool/standard view, but if you take the side elevator, you can see DCA. It's very eye-appealing, especially at night. We ate at the other two hotels-they looked really nice. Hope this helps.

DW & I stayed at Paradise Pier March 8-13. This was our first time at DL-been to WDW numerous times. Very clean, friendly cast members. We both agreed it reminded us of the Swan at WDW. The pool was closed during our visit, but it looked like a nice area-not really themed, but still OK. We were told we could swim at Disneyland Hotel-it's a short walk. Rooms were clean & comfortable. We had a pool/standard view, but if you take the side elevator, you can see DCA. It's very eye-appealing, especially at night. We ate at the other two hotels-they looked really nice. Hope this helps.

I've stayed at DLH (quite a few years ago) and GC (Oct 2001). DLH was nice, and we especially enjoyed walking around the gardens and koi ponds, but we really LOVED GC. We are big fans of the Wilderness Lodge at WDW, and GC reminded us of it. The rooms are smaller than at DLH, but for the two of us, it was fine. The theme of the rooms and resort was unbelievable, and we took a hotel tour that made us appreciate it even more. It proved to be very convenient to the parks and DD (although really, they are all a reasonable walking distance).

We stayed at the original... It was nice. If you end up staying there... look at the border wallpaper at night:)

It has a water garden at the Bonita Tower and remote control boats around there. We went to hooks restraunt (forgot the real name... sorry). It was kind of expensive but good food. It had a lot of fish so if you dont like seafood... i wouldnt go there.

We were in the sierra tower over looking Downtown Disney. It was such a nice view!!! During christmas we hung lights all over our railing and every single time we walked back from the parks we heard people saying hey wow look at those lights.

I liked the area and the neverland pool was a very nice place to sit and relax for awhile too.

We also went in and look around the Grand Californian. It was also nice and reminded me a lot of the Wilderness lodge in WDW.

We didnt go into Paradise Pier though. From what i heard from people it wasnt what they expected. I dont know why but they just didnt like what they had.

~Steve

It sounds kinda wierd......but depending on the type and goal of the trip , I would either pony up for the GC or stay at a "good neighbor" motel on Harbor blvd.

DH, his sister and stayed at the Disneyland Hotel September 2000. We looked out on the DD construction and I was in heaven:) I have video of DD and CA being built! I was zooming in on the workers having meetings and all the details-haha. It was not noisy since we were high up. I really was impressed with Disneyland. I did not feel like I was in the city at all. The hotel was great. The pool area was themed to Peter Pan. They had a great quick service area for breakfast. There was a little water show with Disney Music at night. What is the name of that? They have been doing it for years! I would def. go back. As a matter of fact if GC is to pricey this August I will probably book DH.

Hello! We too have stayed at all three with a visit to the GC on March 6th of this year. It is a great place and yes expensive but worth it for the true experience! The Grand is the closest to the Parks and the DCA entrance is a good option (when the park is open that is) to get jackets or take a break. We enjoyed a few snacks/ meals at the White Water Cafe. The pool is not as exciting as the DH but still was enjoyed by my family. We have had both Downtown Disney views and theme park views. The theme park view is the best!!! I told them it was my son's 7th birthday (he wanted the bunk beds) and we were upgraded to that view. Nothing like looking out the window and seeing California Screamin all lit up. You can also hear the Electrical parade music. The Downtown Disney view can be quite a walk from the elevator but is also a place to check out some of the fireworks and what is going on at night.

If you stay at the DH request the Sierra tower. You either look at the Neverland Pool or Downtown Disney and both is great. We stayed here in December and had a great time.

We keep saying we are going to stay somewhere else but the Mouse always gets our dollars! We have also converted some friends to the property only way of life. You can send your packages over from the park too. You can pick them up after 7 am the next day. Great for pictures so they don't get squished or bent.

We've stayed at the Paradise Pier twice. The first time was a year ago, we were upgraded to a room with a view of California Adventure, which was fantastic. The hotel was quiet since it was November. We were able to check in early in the morning and were in Disneyland by 8AM. The second time was last month. The hotel was full, so we weren't able to check in until the afternoon, which was OK since 3 PM is the official check in time. However 2 of the 5 elevators were down and the waits for the elevators was extremely long throughout our whole visit. It seems that a hotel of that size should have more elevators. The rooms are good size and the location of the parking structure is very convenient. The pool is non-descript. We usually use the Neverland pool at the Disneyland Hotel. We've also stayed at the Disneyland Hotel twice. Fortunately the hotel wasn't full on those stays and we were upgrade to view rooms each time. The Sierra tower has either views of Downtown Disney or the pool, which the kids loved. There is another wing (I don't know the name) which is parallel to main building that faces a waterfall and parklike area. It seems a little farther removed from the activity and provides a lot of white noise. The Disneyland Hotel is a bit of a shorter walk to Disneyland, which is convenient when you have two little kids who are tired at the end of the day. We haven't stayed at the Grand Californian yet, mostly because of the expense. When the kids are older and more into the rides at California Adventure, I'm sure that it would be the best place to stay because of the proximity to those attractions. If cost is a factor, then PP is the cheapest, but you can find deals at the DL on Expedia that are just as low. Have fun :D

I love them both. Grand is a little closer, and much grander, and would I think for adults be the definite winner if you are not comparing prices.

If you have kids, DL hotel has so many whimsical touches I think my little boy prefered it.

Both are great

Both cost WAY more than the motels on Harbor that are essentially just as close ( to Disneyland) but I like kepping the whole trip Disneyfied if I can.

Have stayed at all three DLR hotels and here is my choice from #1 on down....

Disneyland Hotel: Three towers (Sierra my favorite). Only tower that allows smoking in rooms is Bonita. Home of Goofy's Kitchen character breakfast. Nice layout, easy access to DTD and monorail. Great pool, gift shop and coffee shop.

Grand Californian: Totally non-smoking hotel. Good restaurants, pools and gift shop. Not real excited over their coffee bar (unless employee's have gotten more training). VERY spread out so if you are tired from the park you may just have another hiking trip getting back to your room. Rooms a little dark with all the dark wood furniture. Home of Chip & Dales character breakfast. Great access to DTD and DCA.

Paradise Pier: Nice hotel, not my pick if you have kids. The pool will be a BIG letdown for them. Good restaurants and home of Minnie & Friends character breakfast. Good access to DCA and DTD.

There are 4 Character breakfast in all to chose from. A quickie tip for best to last. I have done them all.

#1. Goofy's Kitchen: great decor, lots of characters, good food, wonderful interaction. Reservations a must unless you want to wait in line.
#2. Minnie & Friends: good decor, lots of character, good food, wonderful interaction. Thought it was more for girls than boys.
#3. Plaza Inn: good decor, Winnie the Pooh characters ONLY. Great food, lots of characters, wonderful interaction. Resevations not taken.
#4. Chip & Dale: good food, no interaction at tables with characters. Very few characters, not my choice with or without kids, very boring.

for all who have stayed at paradise pier

does the paradise pier view rooms have sliding glass doors that open (like the disneyland hotel)

thanks for any help
cindy

The Paradise Pier rooms do not have windows that slide open. In fact the windows only open a very small amount. There are no balconies.

The windows do open a small amount but enough to let in fresh air and if you are in your room during the ELP you can hear it if you open the windows. They have a TV channel that also plays the music but we preferred opening the windows instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter