Disneyland has won my business for the future!!

The trouble is that it's pricey for us and I've been told that the Universal there isn't as nice.

Unfortunate. We really liked ush. It's small, but we've enjoyed our two days there. Would have gone more during our ap year there but couldn't get away. In the future we'll stay next to the property and do a couple days in a row.

Alas I can't totally agree with the OP because we've watched Dlr change for the worse since our first trip as adults in '05, but then we've chosen to enter parks there a couple times while our dvc use at wdw in the last fees years hasn't involved park days at all.

Unfortunate. We really liked ush. It's small, but we've enjoyed our two days there. Would have gone more during our ap year there but couldn't get away. In the future we'll stay next to the property and do a couple days in a row.

Alas I can't totally agree with the OP because we've watched Dlr change for the worse since our first trip as adults in '05, but then we've chosen to enter parks there a couple times while our dvc use at wdw in the last fees years hasn't involved park days at all.

Which changes at DLR?

BTW, I do not agree with @bumbershoot on this and have seen a steady stream of improvements since 2005. To me 2005 was the golden year that DLR got back on track. So views differ.

:wizard:

Agree with you. DLR has definitely gotten more popular/crowded, BUT it's due to them "plussing" the resort as a whole. Pre 2005, it was enjoyable but not as amazing as it has become since.

Since 2005, the food has improved by leaps and bounds, DCA has been completely overhauled for the better, the fireworks shows and parades have gotten epic, several rides have been upgraded, new rides and lands have been added, the hotels have received amazing refurbishments (DLH and PP so far and GCH happening now). I have also noticed a vast improvement in guest service as a whole.

I became an AP holder in 2001. I have been visiting steadily ever since.

We are from Mo and have actually only been to DL i cant make myself take a trip to WDW cuz if im spending that kind of money we are going to Cali lol...we LOVE DL and California in general

I was able to get a hotel on Harbor for $100 a night and am able to walk to and from the parks each day. Would cost WAY WAY MORE to do that at WDW and it would only be Magic or Epcot areas.
I've enjoyed this as well. I'll be sad when the close off the entrance from Harbor next year.

We are from Mo and have actually only been to DL i cant make myself take a trip to WDW cuz if im spending that kind of money we are going to Cali lol...we LOVE DL and California in general

LOL! We live in CA and feel this way too. It's so expensive to fly to FL. I have promised the kids we'll take them when our youngest is older, but for the price we can buy Deluxe APs at DL and go all year instead of a one time vacation in FL.

My family of four (and my parents) flew from Texas in May to Disneyland. We are usually WDW regulars. I would say both parks have their strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunate for us we were there for grad night and the park was at capacity and pretty miserable. It was also very hot for SoCal. I do like that there are more rides jammed in a smaller space. I also like the charm of Disneyland. However, WDW still wins out for me as a vacation destination. One thing I missed at Disneyland was Epcot and the huge castle at Magic Kingdom.

My family of four (and my parents) flew from Texas in May to Disneyland. We are usually WDW regulars. I would say both parks have their strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunate for us we were there for grad night and the park was at capacity and pretty miserable. It was also very hot for SoCal. I do like that there are more rides jammed in a smaller space. I also like the charm of Disneyland. However, WDW still wins out for me as a vacation destination. One thing I missed at Disneyland was Epcot and the huge castle at Magic Kingdom.

Today is a grad day and I have noticed higher crowds. But we took an afternoon break and went off to the Nixon Library and Museum.

Just got home from my long road trip and wanted to add another thought. WDW has the better line queues. So if you happen to be visiting on a crowded day, and are bored, the WDW line queues are significantly better. This probably has to do with the fact that there is significantly more space available in WDW than in DL. DL/DCA have to be more creative with their real estate.

But anyway...I agree with everything with the caveat that you must have not been in DL on a high crowd day. That park is a lot worse than anything at WDW with similar crowd score. Barely room to breathe let alone walk.:crazy2:

Yeah, I was surprised to hear that DL now has manageable crowds. I agree that they do....if you could get in a time machine and go back at least 3 years. Last time I was at DL on March 3 of this year (supposedly a slow time), it was the first time I had said about any Disney park, "I never want to come here again". And I meant it in that moment. It was so freaking crazy crowded and the fireworks had just been cancelled right in the middle of the show. If not for having APs that last through November, and kids that keep asking to go back, I would've planned a trip to Hawaii or a cruise or something. But since I have the APs, I'll be at least doing a big trip in the fall, and I may try to squeeze in a few days in August. Hoping that DL redeems itself from the last trip I took.

I'm also surprised at the food comment. While DL does have some different food options, I've never thought of them in the same realm as WDW - especially with table service. Epcot alone makes WDW the clear winner on food. Throw in the cool places at AK, and my favorite Liberty Tree Tavern, and DL has yet to match WDW. Especially after they took out my favorite - Big Thunder Ranch BBQ.

Lodging is definitely a plus at DL...unless you want a Disney property. Then it's too much money. I do love that I can get a park view hotel room for mid $100s at DL. That's really nice. But on the flip side, I miss the fantastic theming and "bubble" feeling I get at a WDW moderate. Still, the prices can't be beat for some of the Harbor hotels.

But for us and going to DL, it's the cost getting to DL that wins us over: $100 in gas vs. $2K+ for flights. That's the real reason I go to DL.

And I guess when MaxPass comes out, I'll decide if DL is still the place for us. I hated the idea of FP+ and never went back to WDW once it was implemented. But if I find that MaxPass digital users (spending extra money each day) keep me from getting all the FPs I'm used to getting, I may flush DL. I hope they don't mess up Disneyland's beautiful FP system with this.

Yeah, I was surprised to hear that DL now has manageable crowds. I agree that they do....if you could get in a time machine and go back at least 3 years. Last time I was at DL on March 3 of this year (supposedly a slow time), it was the first time I had said about any Disney park, "I never want to come here again". And I meant it in that moment. It was so freaking crazy crowded and the fireworks had just been cancelled right in the middle of the show. If not for having APs that last through November, and kids that keep asking to go back, I would've planned a trip to Hawaii or a cruise or something. But since I have the APs, I'll be at least doing a big trip in the fall, and I may try to squeeze in a few days in August. Hoping that DL redeems itself from the last trip I took.

I'm also surprised at the food comment. While DL does have some different food options, I've never thought of them in the same realm as WDW - especially with table service. Epcot alone makes WDW the clear winner on food. Throw in the cool places at AK, and my favorite Liberty Tree Tavern, and DL has yet to match WDW. Especially after they took out my favorite - Big Thunder Ranch BBQ.

Lodging is definitely a plus at DL...unless you want a Disney property. Then it's too much money. I do love that I can get a park view hotel room for mid $100s at DL. That's really nice. But on the flip side, I miss the fantastic theming and "bubble" feeling I get at a WDW moderate. Still, the prices can't be beat for some of the Harbor hotels.

But for us and going to DL, it's the cost getting to DL that wins us over: $100 in gas vs. $2K+ for flights. That's the real reason I go to DL.

And I guess when MaxPass comes out, I'll decide if DL is still the place for us. I hated the idea of FP+ and never went back to WDW once it was implemented. But if I find that MaxPass digital users (spending extra money each day) keep me from getting all the FPs I'm used to getting, I may flush DL. I hope they don't mess up Disneyland's beautiful FP system with this.

My thoughts exactly on the food and crowds.

But lodging is actually the reason I went to WDW! It cost me a lot less money to fly to Florida and camp than to fly to Anaheim and stay at a hotel within walking distance. Usually we drive to Anaheim but I didn't want to do so by myself.

I agree on the Maxpass. If that screws with the system that I just enjoyed, I will flush it as well. My tolerance level is very low after Disney execs ruined WDW.

I want to start by saying this not meant to be a thread where I throw shade on WDW. I have a lot of fond memories there as my family would take annual trips since the early 90s. Incredible experiences, pictures, and I still will visit in the future. That being said, I just experienced DL and DCA for the first time and it's the clear winner for me. The downside is that it's a much longer flight from Chicago but I can live with that.

DL and DCA remind me of what WDW use to be like (i.e. unique food options, FP-, manageable crowds). I also love how each park has so many attractions within very close walking distance.

I was able to get a hotel on Harbor for $100 a night and am able to walk to and from the parks each day. Would cost WAY WAY MORE to do that at WDW and it would only be Magic or Epcot areas.

DL will be receiving most of my visits from now on.

From Western PA here, so I hear you about the longer flight, but totally agree with what you've posted! We're heading back this fall again to experience DL! Don't get me wrong, still lots I like about WDW, but we went to Disneyland with tame expectations, just really wanting to see it to check it off the list (and visit Cars Land!) and ended up falling in love with it! Too much of a hassle for use to ever park hop in WDW, and so easy in DLR, not to mention the number of attractions in walking distance, and just some je ne sais quois that Disneyland owns! And maybe it's that sunny California weather too! hahah

Yes, I would love to drive up the coast, starting at the Baja Peninsula and ending in San Francisco. .

Don`t end the trip at S.F. Keep going North to Santa Rosa and the Redwood Empire. River Road following the Russian River thru Guerneville and Armstrong Woods to Jenner by the Sea. Come back on Highway 12 thru the Valley of the Moon and the wine country thru Napa.

Glad you like it, DL it's self is better but due to FP+ and what we feel is better crowd control at WDW we are actually switching most of our business to WDW.

Besides needing a flight for us (in AZ) to WDW we find it actually much cheaper since the tickets and food are cheaper..the hotel options also are the same or cheaper since I refuse to stay off property at DL since the surrounding area is pretty shady IMO and not what I want to see when on vacation.

Glad you like it, DL it's self is better but due to FP+ and what we feel is better crowd control at WDW we are actually switching most of our business to WDW.

Besides needing a flight for us (in AZ) to WDW we find it actually much cheaper since the tickets and food are cheaper..the hotel options also are the same or cheaper since I refuse to stay off property at DL since the surrounding area is pretty shady IMO and not what I want to see when on vacation.
Obviously everyone has their own preferences and points of view. I remember the shady area around DL when I was a kid in the 1970's. IMO the last 20 some years DLR has done a great job making the area immediately surrounding DLR feel safe and upbeat. If you venture further, well, you are in a big metro area so all bets are off. My two cents but thanks for sharing yours!

Just got home from my long road trip and wanted to add another thought. WDW has the better line queues. So if you happen to be visiting on a crowded day, and are bored, the WDW line queues are significantly better. This probably has to do with the fact that there is significantly more space available in WDW than in DL. DL/DCA have to be more creative with their real estate.
I think that is the primary reason. Other reasons are that WDW wait times tend to be longer than at DLR so it helps to have more things to keep you busy in the longer lines. Also, more heat, humidity and rain at WDW means at certain times of year you are dying to get out of the elements and inside some covered queues with A/C. So WDW provides that. DLR does not have those weather extremes on average so, again, it is not as needed.

Obviously everyone has their own preferences and points of view. I remember the shady area around DL when I was a kid in the 1970's. IMO the last 20 some years DLR has done a great job making the area immediately surrounding DLR feel safe and upbeat. If you venture further, well, you are in a big metro area so all bets are off. My two cents but thanks for sharing yours!

Yeah the area has gotten a very nice face lift but still has it's problems ..of course everyone has to make that decision for them selves and chances are you'll be fine.

But besides the crime: https://www.crimemapping.com/map/ca/anaheim#

I do simply like being in the "bubble" while at DLR or WDW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts