Disneyland ending AP program as we know it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know DL and WDW are different but you have to wonder if whatever they do for APs in DLR they might do in WDW as well when they fully turn it back on.

Gosh, I hope they don’t do this at Disney World. I bought my annual pass through Sams Club before the virus and haven’t activated it yet. How would I get a refund? I feel terrible for all Disneyland AP holders. Terrible situation.

Gosh, I hope they don’t do this at Disney World. I bought my annual pass through Sams Club before the virus and haven’t activated it yet. How would I get a refund? I feel terrible for all Disneyland AP holders. Terrible situation.

I feel even worse for VGC DVC owners. Not only are they dealing with a significantly worse point backlog than we are, they also bought in expecting to be able to get APs and are now faced with a ticket purchase for every visit.

I'm hearing lots of hesitations about buying into DVC at this point, but imagine how much more stark that decision point is for VGC right now.

I know DL and WDW are different but you have to wonder if whatever they do for APs in DLR they might do in WDW as well when they fully turn it back on.

I’m thinking no. There’s an email to the Premiers apparently (I never once got an email about being a Premier despite having it since 2014) saying we can roll it over to a FL pass. If they’re rolling it over I doubt they’re taking away FL APs.

If I were to put money on it, I’d say that the first few months DL parks are open, it’s going to be pay-per-reservation. It would anger many people. But they need to make money, they will have been closed for at least 16-18 months when they do reopen. Single day tickets would help in that Avenue more than APs. It also helps fluid demand. I’m not sure how many DL APs exist, but I would bet it’s more than even the full capacity of both parks are. Say they open at 25% capacity, there would be very disgruntled APs paying for maybe 1-3 days a month.

I don't really understand this move. They must be bringing it back in some other capacity right? Because if someone goes 10 times a month, that suddenly goes from a few hundred dollars for an AP to 120 individual day tickets at around $100 each. That's like $12,000. Surely they're not just gonna price out THAT many people for the park that is so heavily populated by locals with APs, right? Even if they upped prices all around (admission, food, merch), is it possible they could make up the difference from the sheer accessibility to buying food and merch that cheap APs created?

I mean Disney has had endless problems with the CA government and the lack of land they can own surrounding DLR. I wonder if they'd follow tech companies (and the rumors of their operational offices) by just leaving CA all together. I'm not an economist or theme park expert, but how possible is it that they could strip down DLR and consolidate both US resorts to FL within the next couple decades? Disneyland park becomes more a museum than destination and WDW becomes the vacation mecca? Too crazy?

So here is a thought... I know Six Flags has really been pushing going to a "membership" model vs an AP model where you have to pay a subscription fee every month regardless of if you go or not. They seem to like it because instead of getting lump sums here and there, it creates a more consistent revenue model with money coming in every single month. I wonder if Disney could be looking to move to a model like that?

If I were to put money on it, I’d say that the first few months DL parks are open, it’s going to be pay-per-reservation. It would anger many people. But they need to make money, they will have been closed for at least 16-18 months when they do reopen. Single day tickets would help in that Avenue more than APs. It also helps fluid demand. I’m not sure how many DL APs exist, but I would bet it’s more than even the full capacity of both parks are. Say they open at 25% capacity, there would be very disgruntled APs paying for maybe 1-3 days a month.
By rough numbers, Disneyland’s capacity is less than 10% of the number of passholders.

I’m hopeful when APs, or “Memberships” resume, DVC will see a discounted option. With another DVC property on the way, it’s not unfair to give those members the benefits they get on the other coast.

-Signed, an entitled DVC member that would like to buy a discounted Disneyland AP

Social DL local here. Signature passholder since 2001.

I will be the first to say we will absolutely pay whatever they want once the parks open. This closure has been devastating for our family and the mental health of my 2 autistic sons. We are fortunate to have the financial security to afford whatever Disneyland will charge moving forward.

I’m right behind you on the bolded. I was born and raised in SoCal, and so were my parents. I’m going to the parks when they open, regardless of how the AP situation works out. We’re having our first baby (and first grandbaby on both sides) in April, and I cannot wait to bring her to Disneyland. We’ll pay whatever it costs when the time comes.

By rough numbers, Disneyland’s capacity is less than 10% of the number of passholders.

Yikes. I figured it was closer to even than that. Yeah, I can’t imagine the disaster it would have been to reopen with that many people being able to make reservations for only 2 parks

On one hand I’m a mix of emotions about this. AP holder for half a decade now. And probably going to move my Premier to a WDW but letting go is hard.

On the other I just saw what was involved just getting to SoCal. And I’m here on required travel.

So yeah when I think about that it makes more sense. Not happy. But makes sense.

Probably the new eventual program is what’s keeping it from being worse for me.

maybe something where you pass gets you access but there is a "charge per day" depending ont he day. And maybe some days won't carry an extra charge but then weekends and other times of the year will have some charge (more for some days than others) ... and like you said, those first few months would be a significant charge

So sort of date based pricing mixed with a pass/membership

Personally, if I were Disney, I would have allowed DL APs choose either the full refund, or the ability to use their AP at WDW for the remaining 2 months. What’s the downside? Most days the resort buckets aren’t filled, and I’m sure a good number of visitors coming in would stay on property filling up these rooms that are vacant.
DL and WDW are two different internal companies essentially. That would be a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter