Disneyland empty?

Oooh I hope this continues! I'm going at the end of August, so I haven't been expecting high crowds, but if crowds remain that low I may have to add another Disney day to my agenda! Woohoo!!

Oooh I hope this continues! I'm going at the end of August, so I haven't been expecting high crowds, but if crowds remain that low I may have to add another Disney day to my agenda! Woohoo!!

We'll be there from mid to late August... I'm not as optimistic about low crowds continuing after AP's unblock on the 19th, mingling with D23 crowds... I'm just not lucky enough to catch Disneyland when its uncrowded. It's just my lot in life. Heh! I can dream... :/

I am one that thought this summer would be packed. We were there the summer Cars Land opened and it was a zoo (especially in cars land). I'm hoping this doesn't mean everyone put off going till next summer as that is when my family trip is planned lol

By the end of August, all the APs will once again be unblocked. I expect the crowds will return when that happens, August 19th.
Or at least Disney hopes they will.

WDW has been pretty empty this summer as well! Pete Werner said in the podcast that fall bookings are light, as well.

Saw the story ...... Disneyland to close permanently by end of year. In negotiations to sell land for re development......

Pretty sure it was a joke, but there are starting to be quite a few stories about Disney's failure.

We'll be there from mid to late August... I'm not as optimistic about low crowds continuing after AP's unblock on the 19th, mingling with D23 crowds... I'm just not lucky enough to catch Disneyland when its uncrowded. It's just my lot in life. Heh! I can dream... :/
LOL! Bummer!! I'll stick with my plan to go midweek when hopefully local AP folks will be at work/school so the crowds will (hopefully) be more manageable!

If it truly is all the AP blocks than what does that say about out of town visits or occasional 3-5 year visits or something? Does this really mean a large majority of people in Disney are fairly frequent repeat guests with APs? That just seems crazy to me, I would think APs would hardly make an impact except for making the park a little more manageable on the busy days (by blocking APs). Not clearing out the park though...

If it truly is all the AP blocks than what does that say about out of town visits or occasional 3-5 year visits or something? Does this really mean a large majority of people in Disney are fairly frequent repeat guests with APs? That just seems crazy to me, I would think APs would hardly make an impact except for making the park a little more manageable on the busy days (by blocking APs). Not clearing out the park though...

There are over a million AP holders at Disneyland. That is a LOT. On any given day when APs are all allowed access, my guess is that the majority are AP holders. I'd venture to guess somewhere between 65-75%. Disneyland relies HEAVILY on their AP population as well as the locals of LA, Riverside, Orange, and San Diego counties. However, most of the non AP locals wait for special ticket offers.

Right now, only Signature and Signature + passholders are allowed into DL (unless those with lower passes buy the $99 bring a friend tix to get in on a blocked day). Deluxe AP holders are allowed into DCA right now, which is why that park has been significantly more crowded. There are a fair number of Deluxe passholders, so their inability to access DL has had this noticeable effect on crowds at that park.The last few days in June that they had access, DL was fairly busy.

APs are Disneyland's most valued demographic, for good reason.

We had our first experience this past December with seeing first hand what an impact APs have on the park. Our first two days were AP blockouts- it was busy but manageable. We even got a spot in front of the castle for the holiday fireworks!

Then the last day of our trip APs were let in that day and it was swarmed. I’ve never experienced a day so busy! It was a night and day difference. We ended up using the train to get around to avoid the crazy crowds in the walkways. I know holidays played a part in all that but it was interesting to see what a difference those blockouts made first hand.

The vast majority of park goers to Disneyland are annual pass holders.

Last Friday (July 5) was very busy, but since then it’s been more than manageable. The hoards still show up late morning and stay through the fireworks, but we are usually wrapping up late morning to head back to the hotel, so it doesn’t really impact us too much.

... Does this really mean a large majority of people in Disney are fairly frequent repeat guests with APs? That just seems crazy to me, I would think APs would hardly make an impact except for making the park a little more manageable on the busy days (by blocking APs)...
There are over a million AP holders at Disneyland. That is a LOT. On any given day when APs are all allowed access, my guess is that the majority are AP holders. I'd venture to guess somewhere between 65-75%...
The numbers usually thrown around by TDA are approximately 60% APs (assumed to be locals) and 40% day tickets (assumed to be non-local). This flips during Christmas Week when the lower AP blockouts mean approximately 80% day tickets (locals and non -- Holiday Time makes a big difference) and only 20% APs (Sig., Sig+, and Premier being the only passes allowed in during that time -- and these do not come close to making up the majority of passholders). As noted, APs are a very important part of DLR's demographic and their presence can be felt significantly, even down to the time of day when APs get off work/out of school and hit the parks on weekdays. "Hardly make an impact"? Not hardly!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter