Disneyland Eastern Gateway preview video

Looking at this, does it mean if you are staying at all the hotels that were "right across the street" you now have to go south on Harbor, down "Disney Way" and then past the parking structure to get in? So come late 2018/early 2019 Grand Legacy will then be the "closest" hotel?

Looking at this, does it mean if you are staying at all the hotels that were "right across the street" you now have to go south on Harbor, down "Disney Way" and then past the parking structure to get in? So come late 2018/early 2019 Grand Legacy will then be the "closest" hotel?

Maybe. I'm hoping that businesses like McDonalds and others will take Disney up on its offer to allow those business to construct access points from the businesses' properties into the walkway leading up to the security checkpoint.

That's my question, too - how do those staying at the Harbour hotels (e.g., BWPPI, Tropicana, Park Due) get in?

I watched this again (okay, a number of times), and it looks like at 2:54 there is possibly an entry on the right (maybe an escalator or another ramp)? So maybe there will be gates below and you can access the walkway?

I was reading more, and as VandVsMama said, the only way would be if some of the businesses agree to build access points, there is no plan currently to allow access from Harbor.

I actually wonder how it will be to get from Fairfield Inn through the transit hub to the security points, according to this pic maybe it won't be so bad:
Document

Isn't Park Vue Inn supposed to be starting a major remodel that will make the PVI several stories with a conference center? It seems like that would make it easy for them to design some sort of back entrance to the pedestrian pathway behind the motels.

This will certainly change the dynamics of what hotel we pick in the future. We just stayed at Park Place last week, and it is unbelievably convenient to that crosswalk. That convenience will disappear once the bridge goes in. We'll have to walk all the way back to Manchester to get to the security screening gates. Right now, those hotels are closer than the Disney hotels. But soon, with a backwards walk added, that will certainly not be the case. All of the sudden, hotels that are far away with bus rides to the park will be just as good as those across the street.

Do we know dates of when Harbor may close? I've got reservations for this August at DI&S.

I guess I should say approximate dates.

Last edited:
This will certainly change the dynamics of what hotel we pick in the future. We just stayed at Park Place last week, and it is unbelievably convenient to that crosswalk. That convenience will disappear once the bridge goes in. We'll have to walk all the way back to Manchester to get to the security screening gates. Right now, those hotels are closer than the Disney hotels. But soon, with a backwards walk added, that will certainly not be the case. All of the sudden, hotels that are far away with bus rides to the park will be just as good as those across the street.

A move to make staying on site more desirable?

Unless they choose to put in the back access. I think it would be pretty great to walk out the back of my hotel and be on Disneyland property. Those hotels could really tout that too. Stay at our hotel with direct access to Disneyland security gates!

McDonald's was really against the idea of direct access claiming it was a safety problem to have the security gates so close to the other businesses. I don't really see why. They just don't like the idea.

Do we know dates of when Harbor may close? I've got reservations for this August at DI&S. I guess I should say approximate dates.

The project hasn't even been approved by the city yet. There's too much disagreement at the time. Disney can only do so much without approval. And so far they haven't done much work at all. Hopefully they can get it all done before SW land opens in 2019, because the park needs more parking.

So does that mean that if you stay at, let's say Grand Legacy, you'll have to go up and pretty much walk all the way back to where Carousel presently sits now in order to cross over to Disneyland? If so, that is really inconvenient.

I can't even imagine for the new Courtyard that they built across the street. If this is the only access point, that's going to hurt their business a lot (and ones near there).

I can't even imagine for the new Courtyard that they built across the street. If this is the only access point, that's going to hurt their business a lot (and ones near there).

I'm not 100% sure but I believe that there will be a pedestrian entrance to the east a half a block away on S Manchester Ave and guests will not have to cross any streets.

Unless they choose to put in the back access. I think it would be pretty great to walk out the back of my hotel and be on Disneyland property. Those hotels could really tout that too. Stay at our hotel with direct access to Disneyland security gates!

McDonald's was really against the idea of direct access claiming it was a safety problem to have the security gates so close to the other businesses. I don't really see why. They just don't like the idea.

The project hasn't even been approved by the city yet. There's too much disagreement at the time. Disney can only do so much without approval. And so far they haven't done much work at all. Hopefully they can get it all done before SW land opens in 2019, because the park needs more parking.

i really hope there is back access or some other solution for the Harbor hotels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter