Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is an old John Wayne movie called Donovan's Reef that has a Polynesian Christmas in it. I got it in my stocking this year. We are watching it tonight. Even though the tree is outside waiting to be mulched, we are still feeling the spirit. See if you can rent the movie. It is classic John Wayne!

I'm a big fan of it. I made my kids watch it this past Christmas for the first time and they really fell in love with it as well. Not only is it touching but its pretty funny as well.

That's what happened in my case too. I think I resisted watching It's a Wonderful Life in my teen years and early adult years because it used to air a lot every holiday season. I remember crazy marathons of it when it would run all day long, or every day for a week or several times in a night (kind of like what happens with A Christmas Story these days) or some such thing. I couldn't understand why one movie was shown so often. That, and I wasn't keen on black & white movies at that point in time.

Finally, I caved in to the relentless hours of It's a Wonderful Life programming and watched it one year because there was nothing else good on TV...and I fell in love with it too! I was, of course, in tears at the end of the movie.

And now, each year, I have kind of lost track of when It's a Wonderful Life is on. It still airs on NBC, but it sometimes airs closer to Thanksgiving and sometimes closer to Christmas. No longer are there endless marathons of it. It just airs one time, or maybe twice a season, and that's it. It is definitely a classic, though, and should really be seen by everyone at least once. It's touching and funny, as you said, and also has a good message about friendship and people coming together to help each other.

I could be imagining it, but it seems to me I heard a horrible story recently about how there are plans to make -- GASP! - a sequel to It's a Wonderful Life!!!:faint: Seriously, I hope I am imagining that because a sequel at this point would be ridiculous. Who would even be in it? And who would these characters be? The great grandchildren of George Bailey? That is a situation where they need to leave well enough alone.

Sherry and KCMike, do you remember the remake with Marlo Thomas taking the role of George? It just didn't work at all. Sometimes, great should be left alone. I can't imagine a sequel.

I'm in! Loved the previous threads -- the pictures were so beautiful and the information invaluable! There is a possibility for 2014 again but personally, kinda hoping for 2015. DS could use a bit more stamina. Hopefully we'll know in the next month.

There is an old John Wayne movie called Donovan's Reef that has a Polynesian Christmas in it. I got it in my stocking this year. We are watching it tonight. Even though the tree is outside waiting to be mulched, we are still feeling the spirit. See if you can rent the movie. It is classic John Wayne!

I will look it up. Thanks for the heads up.

We were at Disney December 17-19 for our 4th holiday trip in a row (Sherry E has me hooked on December trips now:thumbsup2). We had a lot of fun. It was busier than last year as we had to go later in December this time, and the FP enforcement meant we cut our days short rather than go back for nighttime rides, but it was still manageable. I don't think it would feel like Christmas if we didn't do Disney, so I am already starting to plan for Xmas 2014 - year 5!

I have a question: because of when the annual conference DH has that we attach our trip to, it's looking like our 3-day DLR trip will need to be either Sunday, Dec. 21 - Tuesday, Dec. 23 OR Monday, Dec. 22 - Wednesday, Dec. 24th. Any opinions on which would be better, crowd-wise? Christmas Eve scares me, but so does the Sunday before Christmas. Any thoughts, wise DISers?

We were there on the Sunday before Christmas this year. We had a blast, but we were in line thirty minutes before extra magic hour began. We chatted with other guests and soaked up the magic. Once we were in we hit the big ticket rides before having brunch around 10:30. By noon the park was getting crowded so we headed back to the hotel for our mid afternoon break. Then we went back for dinner and shows in the evening.

That was our basic plan for the whole trip and we never waited more than ten or fifteen minutes for any ride. Actually, I waited longer for a corn dog from the Main Street corn dog truck than I did for any ride. If you stay on property and get to rope drop early, you will be fine. Have a plan to ride rides in the mornings and just enjoy Disney the rest of the time.

We just got home from a great 2 weeks at the resort. Other than going to Buca Di Beppo on the 23rd, the car was parked til the 3rd. So much was happening. Loved seeing all my favs.

Couple things to note for future. Concierge lounge... At least DLH has Santa in the lounge at about 815-845 or so the week of Christmas. They also had cookie decorating in the evening, same as what they had in JJJ. AND they offered kids could go to Pinochios and make an ornament.

Santa was appearing in his green PJs (as my daughter informed me) at the JJJ. I didn't see him in DCA or the hotels.

The Gingerbread house set up at the DLH entrance was GREAT, as were the carolers. (Ask them to sing the Grinch, was GREAT!!)

That's what happened in my case too. I think I resisted watching It's a Wonderful Life in my teen years and early adult years because it used to air a lot every holiday season. I remember crazy marathons of it when it would run all day long, or every day for a week or several times in a night (kind of like what happens with A Christmas Story these days) or some such thing. I couldn't understand why one movie was shown so often.

Basically what happened was that no one owned the rights to it, so it was cheap for stations to air. But now NBC owns the rights, so only they can show it and it only airs once or twice a year.

Sherry and KCMike, do you remember the remake with Marlo Thomas taking the role of George? It just didn't work at all. Sometimes, great should be left alone. I can't imagine a sequel.

Well, actually she played Mary, but it was Mary Bailey Hatch, so that she could be the one running Bailey Building & Loan. ;) I think I actually saw this one before I saw the original.

Corinna -

Thank you!

I don't know for sure yet, but I am assuming I will start the Countdown on the first Monday in August, with the final theme/theme week on the first Monday in November. I have to sort out all the themes to see if I want to break some of them up or combine some of them that were originally separate, or if I want to add any new categories in. So there is a slight chance that I could start the Countdown a few days or even one week earlier than the first Monday in August, but probably not. I always try to end it in November so that it leads right into the start of the new season.

Yes, your DLR holiday trip has been in the works for quite a while, hasn't it? Finally it's going to happen. And, most likely, this year will zip by so it will really be here in no time!:rotfl2:

Yes, the trip realistically has been in the works since the Halloween season/ vow renewal trip in 2011. I was lucky enough to visit Disneyland in 2012 and 2013, but at a different time of the year.

The plan is to fly to Los Angeles on November 11th and spend November 12 and 13th at Disneyland before flying to Honolulu on November 14th (my 40th birthday). We are hoping to get a hotel for one night near the beach so that I can spend most of my birthday chilling with a few nice cocktails. On November 15th, we are then hoping to get on the Pride of America for a cruise around the islands and will then stay at Aulani from November 22nd to 29th. Then it is back to Disneyland until December 4th and then back home. I really hope that all the plans work out as I can't make reservations until 7 months out.

Corinna

Joining in on the holiday fun this year. Thanks Sherry for gathering all the info into one place.

Here are some pics during the Holiday season

11792367664_7b08196c2d_b.jpg

11792279893_519c7d2936_b.jpg

11792126725_d1f63a3cf0_b.jpg

Yay!!!! A new Christmas Thread :-) I can't thank you enough Sherry E for creating these Holiday threads that allowed us to greatly improve our visits. It is sad to see 2013 come to an end, but I am excited to plan for 2014. I created an InstaFlip for my IASW 2013 pics , I hope it plays well on this forum.

th_4D11A733-566E-4B04-939E-5A10D84D4138_zpsqj1z7o4o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ysell

I'm here, quietly lurking, enjoying everyone else's hard work at legitimate posts, :rotfl2: for which I am greatly appreciative.
And also, thanks for the recent pics. I was starting to think that there were too many consecutive posts without pictures, (for my tastes) but then KCMike got the pictures rolling. Sherry, do you plan on posting more pics of your last trip? I know you said they didn't turn out quite as good this trip.

We're back. I am happy to report we saw everything we wanted to that we missed on our first trip. The castle lighting was really nice, although we both found it odd that it just kind of ended suddenly. Everyone liked the mini show presented on the side of IASW (thanks for the tip, Bret). Ice skating on Olaf's rink was fun.

They did not have skates smaller than size 10, so Connor who wears size 7 could not go. That meant my husband could not go either. Xander did go but gave up quickly. I had been skating a while when a cast member approached me and asked where my helmet was. Good question. I looked around and noticed EVERYONE had one on. Why didn't they give me one? They did give one to my son, but I just assumed kids had to wear them and never realized I had to. Although I did not need mine (as I never fell), there was a fully grown lady who needed hers. I guess it is good everyone wears them. Most people could not ice skate very well. This lady was skating in the middle with a little girl who could not skate very well. When the little girl fell, she brought the adult down with her. The adult hit her head very hard. Luckily, she had the helmet on. At first, I thought she was crying, but I realized she was laughing. I was relieved.

Viva Navidad and the parade associated were a lot of fun. I wish we had more time to spend back there. Our trip was short, so we did not even have time to sample any food. The music was lively and played non stop. Character lines were a little unorganized. The cast member informed us the long line was for the three Caballeros. After standing in it a while, we were informed they were not coming out until later. We did make it back to see them though. I saw statues of the Three Kings but was hoping to see more. If it was back there, we just ran out of time to explore.

Service at Ariel's Grotto was very slow. My husband was irritated that we arrived only four minutes prior to our reservation (so not overly early) but kept seeing many people who arrived after us being seated. If we had been seated earlier though, I would have missed my conservation with Terry Crews' wife, who also arrived quite a bit after us but were seated first. No one complained about that though. Everyone was excited to see him. The lobby was buzzing. His whole family was very nice. The food was good, and our server was very nice.

My youngest forced me to wait in a 60 minute line to ride TSMM and a 40 minute line to ride the Jingle Cruise. On the bright side, I did finally get to see the decorations on the second floor (since we skipped the line by utilizing the Holiday Tour last time). The decorations were understated though and not worth the added wait in my opinion.

The parks were busier than I expected but were mostly manageable. We opted to skip seeing Mickey this time, because the line was longer than I have ever seen it (way past the garden). The last time it was in the garden, we waited well over the 30 minute posted time, so I am guessing they always advertise it as 30 minutes when the line gets long. It was a great time to go, and the weather was fantastic.

I was disappointed that Finding Nemo was down when we checked on 01/04/14 and 01/05/14. We were hoping to ride it before the scheduled rehab on 01/06/14, but they obviously started the rehab early. We also stupidly forgot to bring our Disney Chase card. My husband never carries his, because he prefers to use a different card (and likes a thin wallet). I leave my wallet at home on vacation and just have him carry my DL and one CC on case we separate. I cannot believe I did not think to grab the Disney one. We learned the hard way that the special picture line will not let you get a picture unless you have the actual card on you (even if you offer to pull up the account information online). We messed up.

I'm here, quietly lurking, enjoying everyone else's hard work at legitimate posts, :rotfl2: for which I am greatly appreciative.
And also, thanks for the recent pics. I was starting to think that there were too many consecutive posts without pictures, (for my tastes) but then KCMike got the pictures rolling. Sherry, do you plan on posting more pics of your last trip? I know you said they didn't turn out quite as good this trip.

DebraDi --

I just posted 25 photos a couple of pages back, on page 3. Here is the post - http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=50388791&postcount=39. :rotfl2: I got the pictures rolling! KCmike posted his photo yesterday. You've got to look through the thread, my friend! And I posted 25 pictures on Christmas Day (in the previous Superthread), including my GCH-fireplace shot, which I think came out quite nicely (I think you may have seen that one), and my "wintry forest" photos.

This is often what happens -- I type out detailed replies to people, or I take the time to round up a lot of photos that people might be interested in, and they end up missing them...or just not caring one way or the other!:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Also, I'm not going to post too many more photos in the super near future because it will leave no surprise for the Theme Week Countdown when it gets going in the summer. So I will probably just post photos every once in a blue moon.

I didn't feel that the photos were that good as far as what I set out for myself to do or whatever "vision" I had of what I was doing. There have been trips when I've been more pleased with the end results than this last one. But I'm also extra-critical of my own work -- whether it's writing or photos or whatever -- so what I say is "not that great" may just be my hypercritical observations of my photos. They may not be that bad to other people. Who knows?

DebraDi --

You've got to look through the thread, my friend! And I posted 25 pictures on Christmas Day (in the previous Superthread), including my GCH-fireplace shot, which I think came out quite nicely (I think you may have seen that one), and my "wintry forest" photos.

This is often what happens -- I type out detailed replies to people, or I take the time to round up a lot of photos that people might be interested in, and they end up missing them...or just not caring one way or the other!:rotfl2::rotfl2:

I do care, I do care!:hyper: -I'm just a dork, ha ha. Actually, I felt sure that I had viewed everything thru Friday, so I started with 1/4, but apparently I was wrong. Glad to be corrected, otherwise I would have missed out!

I just took a quick peak, and without looking closer, my fav is Mickey's Viva Navidad. How Cute!!

Going back now to get a better view. Thanx! :flower3:

I posted a video too! ;) Check it out if you get a chance.

http://youtu.be/sZFw_Z9BrH4

We're back. I am happy to report we saw everything we wanted to that we missed on our first trip. The castle lighting was really nice, although we both found it odd that it just kind of ended suddenly. Everyone liked the mini show presented on the side of IASW (thanks for the tip, Bret). Ice skating on Olaf's rink was fun.

They did not have skates smaller than size 10, so Connor who wears size 7 could not go. That meant my husband could not go either. Xander did go but gave up quickly. I had been skating a while when a cast member approached me and asked where my helmet was. Good question. I looked around and noticed EVERYONE had one on. Why didn't they give me one? They did give one to my son, but I just assumed kids had to wear them and never realized I had to. Although I did not need mine (as I never fell), there was a fully grown lady who needed hers. I guess it is good everyone wears them. Most people could not ice skate very well. This lady was skating in the middle with a little girl who could not skate very well. When the little girl fell, she brought the adult down with her. The adult hit her head very hard. Luckily, she had the helmet on. At first, I thought she was crying, but I realized she was laughing. I was relieved.

Viva Navidad and the parade associated were a lot of fun. I wish we had more time to spend back there. Our trip was short, so we did not even have time to sample any food. The music was lively and played non stop. Character lines were a little unorganized. The cast member informed us the long line was for the three Caballeros. After standing in it a while, we were informed they were not coming out until later. We did make it back to see them though. I saw statues of the Three Kings but was hoping to see more. If it was back there, we just ran out of time to explore.

Service at Ariel's Grotto was very slow. My husband was irritated that we arrived only four minutes prior to our reservation (so not overly early) but kept seeing many people who arrived after us being seated. If we had been seated earlier though, I would have missed my conservation with Terry Crews' wife, who also arrived quite a bit after us but were seated first. No one complained about that though. Everyone was excited to see him. The lobby was buzzing. His whole family was very nice. The food was good, and our server was very nice.

My youngest forced me to wait in a 60 minute line to ride TSMM and a 40 minute line to ride the Jingle Cruise. On the bright side, I did finally get to see the decorations on the second floor (since we skipped the line by utilizing the Holiday Tour last time). The decorations were understated though and not worth the added wait in my opinion.

The parks were busier than I expected but were mostly manageable. We opted to skip seeing Mickey this time, because the line was longer than I have ever seen it (way past the garden). The last time it was in the garden, we waited well over the 30 minute posted time, so I am guessing they always advertise it as 30 minutes when the line gets long. It was a great time to go, and the weather was fantastic.

I was disappointed that Finding Nemo was down when we checked on 01/04/14 and 01/05/14. We were hoping to ride it before the scheduled rehab on 01/06/14, but they obviously started the rehab early. We also stupidly forgot to bring our Disney Chase card. My husband never carries his, because he prefers to use a different card (and likes a thin wallet). I leave my wallet at home on vacation and just have him carry my DL and one CC on case we separate. I cannot believe I did not think to grab the Disney one. We learned the hard way that the special picture line will not let you get a picture unless you have the actual card on you (even if you offer to pull up the account information online). We messed up.

Nice to hear that you had a great time this weekend Kim and great update. Glad that you were able to see IASW clock show where it is very nice to watch every 15 minutes at night.

That is nice to hear that you and Xander were able to ice skate at Olaf's Frozen Ice Rink at DTD. It does make sense for the guests to wear a helmet just in case if they fell and it would hurt.

At least the park was manageable then so busy where it was hard to maneuver. When I went a while ago during Christmas break, it wasn't that bad as I have thought.

I'm sorry to hear that you were not able to ride the FNSV during your visit. I was kind of surprised to hear that the ride was closed late afternoon on Saturday instead of today which was on the scheduled rehab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter