Disney World Snob

sames1

Mouseketeer
I was a Disney World Snob. Having been to WDW since 1971 I thought I had the world by the tail. After all, I was used to going to the "best" Happiest Place on earth. Disneyland surely could not measure up.
What was Disneyland anyway? Sure it was the start of it all, the original, but heck, it would all fit in the parking lot of the Magic Kingdom of WDW. That puny little park with all it's lore could not hold a candle to my Walt Disney World with its over 27,000 acres.
I used to pity the Californians who had never seen WDW but where happy to explore the tiny 300 acres of Disneyland. Oh how misrable they would be if they only knew what they were missing in Florida.
Then one day it happened. I visited Disneyland with full expectations of disappointment. To my shock and pleasure, I had the time of my life. My gosh, maybe there is something to this Disneyland thing after all !
No longer a Disney World Snob, I now enjoy both WDW and Disneyland and I relish the though of going to either.

:goodvibes

Great post. I for one am a Disneyland lover. I do however like the other many perks @ WDW. I love the original, it just feels more like Walt's vision than WDW. Don't get me wrong, WDW is magnificent and I go there a lot. But Disneyland and DCA are my favorites, hands down.

Another lover of both parks here! They are both uniquely and samely wonderful, I never miss one when I am at the other!

I feel the same way. We recently visited Nov. 17-20. We had the time of our lives. It seems more manageable, yet had the main points of the MK and some of EPCOT also. The only things I truly missed were Test Track and Mickey's Philharmagic. We had a great time, and it was so nice to walk from DLH thru DTD and then take your pick of the two parks. No busses!!!

Love the post. I am a Disneyland lover. Been that way since I can remember. But, I am also a WDW lover too. They are just such different experiences in my mind. I do to DL a lot so there is such a familarity for me and I feel like I know it like the back of my hand. So going for a few hours here or just a day there is great for me. WDW is something different. Its new to me and exciting in ways that DL is not. Not saying that I dont get excited when I go to DL. They just har different and hold different memories. Got to approach each like they were meant to be and compare them as much since they are so different.

I've only been saying I want to go to WDW every since I looked at photos of it in an old Disney book from the 70's. I'm pretty experienced with the Disney parks, but as a Californian, I have only grown to know (and love) the original. sames1, I like your opinion compared to a couple my aunt and uncle met one time. They trashed DL to no end, saying their WDW is way better in more ways than one. That really upset me to hear such talk. All Disney parks are unique in their own way. Yeah, I kinda went off about WDW not having this or that like DL does, but I still want to see it for myself. In fact, a co-worker told me he loved WDW much better in ways of how the rides are designed, it has more acres, more lands, and the whole expanded atmosphere. I explained you can't beat the original, it's just the designers have it to look back on to make newer parks ten times better. It happens with everything. So, anyway, sames1, thank you for liking the DL park! Yah, even though it's small, it's got a whopping impact! :teeth:

We had our first taste of Disney at Disneyland Paris about 8 years ago and we had a really nice time (its twice the size now) and then in 2002 and visited Disneyland California (just to be different from the many Brits that visit WDW each year) and we loved it. Last year we were back there for 4 weeks and it was fantastic as we bought AP's for the park so we could visit when we wanted and for how long we wanted.
This year we decided to go to WDW as we wanted deperately to visit Discovery Cove and even though we had a nice time when we were there, we found it all too spread out and the transport was a problem as none of us drive and we spent the whole 2 weeks either queueing for a bus or sitting on one.Also we didn't handle the storms very well as we had one every day and some of them lasting for hours!!!
We can honestly say that Disneyland California is our favourite and I know others that have tried both and would rather visist WDW, each to their own.
We are now trying to plan a return visit to Disneyland California next year as we missed it this year!
Love Ella

Never been to WDW but have heard how huge it is. I love being able to go into DL then go to DTD then go to CA and back and forth as many times in one day as we want. Everything is so close and convenient. When DL is crowded, we just pop on over to CA. I think I would be so lost and confused if I went to WDW. I have no desire to go there at all!

pppiglet said:
Never been to WDW but have heard how huge it is. I love being able to go into DL then go to DTD then go to CA and back and forth as many times in one day as we want. Everything is so close and convenient. When DL is crowded, we just pop on over to CA. I think I would be so lost and confused if I went to WDW. I have no desire to go there at all!

That sounds just like me! We were planning on going there this year, but I changed my mind and took us back to Dland, because WDW overwhelmed me!!
But--unlike you, I do have a desire to go there, and am hoping to go in 2007!

sames1 said:
I was a Disney World Snob. Having been to WDW since 1971 I thought I had the world by the tail. After all, I was used to going to the "best" Happiest Place on earth. Disneyland surely could not measure up.
What was Disneyland anyway? Sure it was the start of it all, the original, but heck, it would all fit in the parking lot of the Magic Kingdom of WDW. That puny little park with all it's lore could not hold a candle to my Walt Disney World with its over 27,000 acres.
I used to pity the Californians who had never seen WDW but where happy to explore the tiny 300 acres of Disneyland. Oh how misrable they would be if they only knew what they were missing in Florida.
Then one day it happened. I visited Disneyland with full expectations of disappointment. To my shock and pleasure, I had the time of my life. My gosh, maybe there is something to this Disneyland thing after all !
No longer a Disney World Snob, I now enjoy both WDW and Disneyland and I relish the though of going to either.

:goodvibes

That is exactly how I felt before I went to Disneyland last year for the first time! We've been to Disney World 8 times before our DL trip and had discussed going there before, but my sisters and I were afraid we'd be "bored" in Disneyland. Well, last year I got to go out there with my dad and one sister, and we LOVED it!!! We are definitely looking forward to going back sometime. :teeth: :)

This is actually my first visit over to the DL pages of the DISboards! We are WDW junkies and love it there. However, my best friend recently moved just north of LA and can't wait for us to visit. We've decided that within the next year/year and a half we will be out there and visit her in LA and DL! Now I have to read up since I know very little about it! Looking forward to being a convert! :cool1:

I've never really had a desire to visit any other Disney Parks outside of WDW. I always feel like it would be like cheating on the only park I've ever known.

disneyphanatic1911 said:
I've never really had a desire to visit any other Disney Parks outside of WDW. I always feel like it would be like cheating on the only park I've ever known.

That's cute! I feel that way, too, but (unfortunately) after about 30 trips to WDW we will be trying Universal this March for the first time - then on to a week at WDW ;) . I have a 15 yr old son that deserves some thrill rides......he has done Peter Pan and IASW with a smile so many times over the years for his little sisters! :rolleyes: I am having mixed feelings about UO and not really excited about the place. We'll see.

My husband bought me the Birnbaum Disneyland guide for Xmas. I read it cover to cover in an hour. :sunny: Now I am looking forward to giving Disneyland a try. Hopefully late summer! I have heard different opinions on DL, too, but it looks cute to me & worth a trip! I am going to keep an eye on these DL boards! Didn't even know they were here!! I have been keeping to the WDW boards until now.

Lives4Disney :earsgirl:

I don't understand this idea of not wanting to go to other Disney parks.
I grew up with Disneyland but always wanted to go to WDW. I didn't get the chance until I was 41 in 1996. I loved it and loved that I was able to see more Disney parks. I frequent many Disneyland message boards and there are people on there who say they will never go to WDW because it would not live up. I do not see understand this. People may, or may not be dissapointed in parts of the different parks but will also find many, many, many, new and wonderful things...even if they have the same or similar names!

I have done Disneyland 3 times. Now I can't wait to try WDW!
I am sure there are pros and cons to each place.
But I am willing to give it a go!! :sunny:

We have been going to Disneyland for many years, since we have family that live right by there. We love it. In 2002, we decided to give WDW a try, and had a ball. We tell everyone that they are 2 totally different experiences which they are. And even though, I now live right by DL, we will still go to WDW each year. I am a proud AP holder for both DL and WDW!

Lives4Disney said:
That's cute! I feel that way, too, but (unfortunately) after about 30 trips to WDW we will be trying Universal this March for the first time - then on to a week at WDW ;) . I have a 15 yr old son that deserves some thrill rides......he has done Peter Pan and IASW with a smile so many times over the years for his little sisters! :rolleyes: I am having mixed feelings about UO and not really excited about the place. We'll see.

My husband bought me the Birnbaum Disneyland guide for Xmas. I read it cover to cover in an hour. :sunny: Now I am looking forward to giving Disneyland a try. Hopefully late summer! I have heard different opinions on DL, too, but it looks cute to me & worth a trip! I am going to keep an eye on these DL boards! Didn't even know they were here!! I have been keeping to the WDW boards until now.

Lives4Disney :earsgirl:

UO is a great resort experience as well if you stay at one of the Universal Resorts. The size of it is on par with Disneyland. Everything is within walking distance, although they do have boat transportation. Front of the Line Access with your room key is worth every penny. The Universal parks are just as well done as any Disney park is. I like them better than DAK at the very least!

WDW is a great resort destination and I'm a big fan, but DL has a lot more character. It is more compact and has different "layers" of detail. You can almost feel Walt's touch. It's something that's missing at WDW.

I'm glad you posted this. I just visited WDW on THanksgiving for the first time and loved it. I had been reluctant to go to DL because its not much cheaper than world and people I knew had said it was a let down. However, my DDs and I are Disney nuts so maybe we'd get more out of it than most people. My youngest loves Sleeping Beauty and even though she knows its smaller than WDW wants to go see SLeeping Beauty's castle, LOL! My friend and I are wanting to take our girls on a little mini vacatin (her first disney vacation) over SPring Break and I just think WDW would be too much in that short of time, so we are thinking of DL. I'm glad to know it has its own charm different than WDW, and isn't a watered down version.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter