Disney world ending their Annual Pass (Not)

In response, I recently had a problem making reservation and called, put on hold, ... I felt they were checking my recent stays for some reason and they realized I spent a $$$ on recent holiday visit and were more willing to give me a small discount on the room. Weird that I have never felt this way before . I guess I passed the valuable guest test.

Disney has been known to collect statistics and information, but I doubt guest services has access to that data on an individual basis. Management probably uses that information for big picture planning. I could be wrong 😏

Last edited:
If the recent disneyland surveys are any indication of what it’s going to be like, I believe that the “going to the park on a whim” days are over. With a reservation system in place, they can control the crowds to ensure a good experience for segment of guests they deem as most profitable.

There are a few exceptions. My family of 4 has for platinum annual passes. We fly in from out of state 3-4 times again staying on property and spending a ton of money on Disney food and merchandise. One of those visits includes a 2 weeks stay on property. This is why an AP was valuable to us for long stays. I know there are a lot of families out there who are like us.

There is no easy solution that will please everyone. They are hemorrhaging money like crazy. I want them to stay healthy as a company so that they can continue to bring us the magic. If that means sacrificing a lititle in the short term. I have no problem with that I suppose. I just don’t like the feeling of being restricted.

I tend to agree that spontaneous trips is over for us (we are local). We are definitely in the least profitable guest tier when they look solely at the AP. However, what isn't gauged necessarily is our local staycations onsite.

To that end, I often make our purchases external to the booking for food/drink/merchandise via credit card and not a Magicband. So tracking our holistic Disney purchases are not all inclusive with a Magicband.

Perhaps this will lead us to not purchase any AP's and just purchase a tiered ticket, but visit at much lesser intervals. But armed with the weekday AP does entice us to make those staycation visits which would then go away along with our monies.

We became locals a few months ago, so now the game has changed for us. We have DVC points we need to burn Each year though. I’m wondering if hotel guests with annual passes with get reservation priority. It makes no sense to me, to keep buying an annual pass if I can’t get a reservation when I want it. That sort of is the case now for us. We can’t go during the week, only weekends. MK and HS reservations get used up quickly on weekends. Not a good value for us right now at all.

Last edited:

I wish they would offer platinum passes again. I was about to convert our park tickets into APs then our May 2020 trip was canceled. Now I’m SOL.

Even if you take the pandemic out of the equation:
Until Ratatouille, Guardians, TRON, and shows are all operational, there's no justification for an AP.

I have been an AP for 22 years. We are currently in the beginning stage of moving to the Orlando area from Chicago. I was thinking about not renewing my pass next month to save money but since there is no telling of when they will sell new passes I have no choice but to renew.

I
I have been an AP for 22 years. We are currently in the beginning stage of moving to the Orlando area from Chicago. I was thinking about not renewing my pass next month to save money but since there is no telling of when they will sell new passes I have no choice but to renew.

I’m with you on that. The worst that could happen is they pull a Disneyland on us and give a prorated refund. The best that could happen is our passes gain some sort of grandfathered status and retain all of the rights and privileges we’re accustomed to like showing up any day/time we feel like it, unlimited park hopping, the works. 🥴 🙏

Even if you take the pandemic out of the equation:
Until Ratatouille, Guardians, TRON, and shows are all operational, there's no justification for an AP.

For me it's makes it harder to justify an ap with shortened park hour and less chance of actually getting into a park. For now my fav Epcot is easy but once Ratatouille opens that park pass will be tougher to get. We went to Hollywood studios and for the most part stood in long lines. Plus we tried to get a pass later in the week and it was not going to happen. So we went to Universal instead.

anyone have any ideas on when they will open up AP's for people who don't already have one?
Not sure but we went ahead and purchased Universal APs for our family. Not sure if we’re going to renew our Disney passes when they expire, especially since we’re not having much getting reservations when we want them.

For me it's makes it harder to justify an ap with shortened park hour and less chance of actually getting into a park. For now my fav Epcot is easy but once Ratatouille opens that park pass will be tougher to get. We went to Hollywood studios and for the most part stood in long lines. Plus we tried to get a pass later in the week and it was not going to happen. So we went to Universal instead.
you make an excellent point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter