Disney+ won't play on 2016 Samsung TV - Had to pay extra $ to continue watching

AnnMichele

Mouseketeer
I am pretty disappointed with Disney+. I had no issues watching Disney+ on my Samsung smart TV until a few weeks ago. All of a sudden, I started getting this 1016 - APP_CONFIG_ERROR message upon startup, and the app would not open. I googled the heck out of this and it seemed that I was not the only one with this issue. After extensive troubleshooting and talking to both Samsung and Disney+ support, I learned that a Disney+ update caused the app to no longer be compatible with 2016 Samsung smart TVs. Disney+ was aware of this and allegedly rolled out a fix. I just checked again yesterday and the app still would not open on my TV. After calling Disney+ customer service, I found out that my model number of TV was not included in the fix and is there is no ETA for when or if it would ever be fixed. While I understand that electronics constantly evolve, four years is not old for a smart TV! The cast member did mention that I could watch Disney+ through an Amazon Fire Stick or Apple TV, neither of which I own. I went as far as asking for either a $40 credit on my membership or a $40 Amazon gift card to cover the cost of buying a Fire Stick. Unfortunately, that was not possible and my only options were a refund and subscription cancellation or pay the extra $ to buy a Fire Stick or Apple TV.

I prepaid for the 3-year subscription deal and I was able to enjoy it on my TV for 6 months before Disney+ decided that my 2016 Samsung TV was too old to be compatible, prompting me to have to spend additional money to watch it on my TV. I expect much more from Disney and am disappointed to have to spend a minimum of $40 to continue to enjoy something for which I’ve already paid.

Hi, Ann. I understand the frustrations, but a lot of this has to do with the various TV manufacturers and lack of standards involving software. Those old smart TV platforms are just too varied and they age out rather quickly (many were not on the official list of supported devices at D+ launch). They may not be getting the support they need from Samsung on the matter either. It's just like phone apps - 4 years is actually an eternity in electronmics time (it shouldn't be but it is what it is). This is why having a standard platform such as Roku or Apple TV is better. If you haven't bought something yet I recommend the Roku - you can get one as low as $30. Fire is okay, but keep in mind that Amazon and Disney don't always get along. Fire was not supported until the last minute and there is no guarantee the tenuous relationship won't be strained in the future.

Hi, Ann. I understand the frustrations, but a lot of this has to do with the various TV manufacturers and lack of standards involving software. Those old smart TV platforms are just too varied and they age out rather quickly (many were not on the official list of supported devices at D+ launch). They may not be getting the support they need from Samsung on the matter either. It's just like phone apps - 4 years is actually an eternity in electronmics time (it shouldn't be but it is what it is). This is why having a standard platform such as Roku or Apple TV is better. If you haven't bought something yet I recommend the Roku - you can get one as low as $30. Fire is okay, but keep in mind that Amazon and Disney don't always get along. Fire was not supported until the last minute and there is no guarantee the tenuous relationship won't be strained in the future.
I just bought the Fire. I wish I would've known about their contentious relationship. Hopefully, they continue to get along. Thanks for the input, I'm just surprised that it was fine for 6 months, then it wasn't, then it was fixed for most but not all 2016 Samsungs.

I just bought the Fire. I wish I would've known about their contentious relationship. Hopefully, they continue to get along. Thanks for the input, I'm just surprised that it was fine for 6 months, then it wasn't, then it was fixed for most but not all 2016 Samsungs.

The Fire should be fine. I doubt there will ever be an extended battle between the two - the user bases are just too large. They may posture at each other sometimes (this is actually possible between ANY of the streamers and device manufactrers - like when a cable company drops a station). Fire is great if you use Amazon Prime video too and will work well with other Amazon devices. I think you will find it a major upgrade to Samsung's generic Smart TV platform.

Yep. We have a 2015 Samsung smart TV & had to get a Roku stick to get Disney +. We have HBO thru our cable company & we can’t get the new HBO Max either. I’m not going out to buy a new TV every couple years either. If for no other reason than I refuse to contribute even more to electronic garbage.

You should be frustrated with Samsung not Disney. They need to release a firmware update for that TV. Maybe they already have?

I just bought the fire stick because my TV isn't a smart one and my cable box doesn't have the app either. :confused3

I just bought a brand new Vizio, and while it comes with Disney +, it does not have the WWE Network, which is a big deal in our house. So I had to pick up a new Roku. It just seems to come with the territory. Not all smart TVs carry every app.

I just bought a brand new Vizio, and while it comes with Disney +, it does not have the WWE Network, which is a big deal in our house. So I had to pick up a new Roku. It just seems to come with the territory. Not all smart TVs carry every app.

This is one reason I highly recommend the TCL TVs with Roku built in. That way you are not worried about the ever-changing "Smart TV" landscape. They are also making some with Android TV OS built in which should be even more flexible. The Roku will be way better than the built-in Vizio apps.

This is one reason I highly recommend the TCL TVs with Roku built in. That way you are not worried about the ever-changing "Smart TV" landscape. They are also making some with Android TV OS built in which should be even more flexible. The Roku will be way better than the built-in Vizio apps.
It's too late for me now, but how are TCLs? I don't know anything about them, except for the Roku part.

It's too late for me now, but how are TCLs? I don't know anything about them, except for the Roku part.

I bought a 6 series about a year and a half ago and I love it. I mean, it's not a top-of-the-line for picture quality but it is seriously nice, has HDR and all that and the built-in Roku. For under $500 it is a killer TV. I can notice a little banding sometimes with lower quality sources and the corners look a little darker on very bright screens, but it's really nothing to worry about. I honestly highly recommend them.

Last edited:
This isn't a Disney+ problem.
I expect much more from Disney and am disappointed to have to spend a minimum of $40 to continue to enjoy something for which I’ve already paid.

So you expect more out of Disney for something they had no control over?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!