Disney with toddlers -the good bad and ugly

OK, I KNOW this sounds odd, but for those of you who are concerned about your child not having their own space to nap in, etc, DH and I came up with our own little invention to help with this on our last trip when DS was 10 months old. DS likes it to be dark and he does not ever sleep with us. I knew if he could see us, he wouldn't sleep. SOOOO, we created a mini-room for him out of PVC pipes and two cloth shower curtains. We were staying in POP and we used the corner of the room near where the window wall meets the table/tv stand wall and built two more walls to block him in. His pack & play fit perfectly and DS slept great. Of course, we still had to keep the lights off, sound machine on and be quiet, but we knew a cranky/tired DS would mean a wasted trip to WDW!

I swore I would never post about this on the DIS because I thought people would think I was crazy. And maybe we are, but I'd rahter be well-rested and crazy! :rotfl: If anyone is interested, I will post a pic and tell you how we did it. We flew, so it can be done if you are willing to give up about 1/4 of a suitcase and maybe 5 lbs of the weight limit. Like I said, we just used pvc pipe and two shower curtains I got on clearance at Target for $4 each after all their dorm stuff was marked down in the fall. Again, please no need to tell me we are crazy... we already know!!! :lmao:

This year (DS will be 23 mo), we are staying at Bonnet Creek in a 3 bedroom condo with grandparents. He gets his own room this time with 4 dry-wall walls! :goodvibes

If you figure out how to do this please post it!! We are going on our first trip in May, staying in a 2 queen room, and i'm trying to figure out how to do the same thing. I'm considering creating 3 posts to go around 3-corners of the bed, assuming the bed's fourth corner is in the corner of the room already. String some wire to each post (at the top) and hook on some cheap drapes. Kids would love it anyway - a fort! :thumbsup2

Maybe i'm crazy, or just an engineer who loves to tinker, but there has to be a simple, temporary way to do this that won't bother the resort.

I guess more rationale people just get used to 'family-time' in the room, or stay in bigger accommodations!

What about those command hooks they sell now that just stick to the wall and come off when you're done? You could bring a drape and some twine and run it across the room? I've used those hooks for heavier things and they are pretty strong...

Just saw this thread...LOVE #4! Can't agree more! Snow White is INDEED scary and some are, well, read her #4!

We have taken DD when she was 8 mos., 1.5, 2.5, and now in a couple weeks at 3.5. Actually at 3 as well, but we just stayed at DTD area hotel, did a character b-fast and the beach, no parks. 8 mos was the easiest by far. She slept well at night, 2-3 hr naps back at the room, and a quick 40 min. in the stroller mid-morning; easy to feed w/jars of baby food and puffs; loved the characters; went on all the kids rides with no problem. 1.5 was pretty good as well. Only issue that trip was that she got a cold and was a bit cranky due to that. Last year was super fun because she could talk to the characters and could go on more attractions. However, she'd wake up at night and she never napped! We were all sleeping and she'd just play or watch PBS for an hour while we rested. She did crash the last 1/2 hr. of the plane ride home, slept through baggage claim in her stroller, got her into her car seat asleep, and slept most of the hr. ride home.

The last two times at 2.5 and 3 I noticed she was on overdrive. She was sooooo excited about everything all the time. She was very, very well-behaved, though. But always wanted to go, go, go....even when mom and dad needed naps and breaks! Will be interested to see how she does in a couple of weeks now that she knows what to expect and remembers.

My big advice is give toddlers time to be toddlers. Bring some fav toys from home, spend some down time at the baby care centers and let them color or watch the movie. Bring books from home and read at night before bed. Take them to the play areas in the resorts or parks for a quick half hr of kid play. Yes, schedules are different on vacation, but if you keep a few things normal or in the routine, they truly benefit from it and in return, happy toddlers make happy parents!

I know this is an older thread but I'm glad it was posted. i think we all dream of our little ones walking into Disney and transforming into these excited manageable people but the truth is they are still themselves and they are going to act they way they want to.

I have o say that I've never had a problem with nap time darkness but that may be because DD sleeps with sound and low light so she has been really good at falling asleep outside of her home.

I won't lie I'm concerned about out up coming trip but i'm keeping the faith.

We couldn't find ANY onsite when we were there last spring. I would highly recommend picking up some take and toss utensils and sippy cups. It's just less fuss. We also took disposable bibs and changing pads too. Best thing we ever did.

Great to know! Thanks for the tips!

I am just :rotfl: reading some of this! Sorry but you gotta admit it is a little funny. Im sure when we got with DD2 & DS9 this June I wont be thinking so at the time though, but maybe one day we will look back and laugh. I am cautiously optimistic about it. She sometimes doesn't like the stroller at home so I am also bringing one of those toddler leashes, which I used to mock people for using but I totally see the value for times like this. She doesn't really love that either and I still feel pretty goofy using it so Im not sure how much help it will be but we are coming prepared! Planning on taking lots of cool off breaks since its gonna be hot. Shes not a big napper, she usually sleeps in the car coming/going or she will pass out in the stroller if we are lucky. She can sleep anywhere if shes tired so I dont think we will have to worry too much about naps but I guess we will see. We are going to be getting up a little earlier than we do at home so that might change things. We arent going to have a strict schedule but we do have an idea of things that are "must do's" and a few ADRs.

:lmao: I understand being that my son is now exactly 20 months!!! I have to say we took my son @ 15 months & he was an angel napped in his stroller while Daddy & I enjoyed walking around & relaxing a bit. This just goes to show the difference a few months can make. =) THanks for the post!!!!

I am just :rotfl: reading some of this! Sorry but you gotta admit it is a little funny.

Oh, it's very funny. My favorite picture from that trip is DS in the teacups, red-faced and crying......just captures the moment to well. :rotfl: we went again last June when he had just turned 3, and it was very different - the heat was challenging, but he LOVED everything. He still burned out fast :hyper:, but he talks about Disney World on a daily basis and can't wait to return. :thumbsup2

Have fun!!!

Wow, I’ve really been fortunate. My son is a go go go high energy child. His sister was pretty laid back at this age, but they are pretty much the same when traveling with the exception of running off. She would never have run off at that age. He thinks it’s funny. So, that is an adjustment I have had to make, to have equipment to deal with that difference in his personality in comparison to hers.

He has been traveling since he was just under 6 months old. First trip was a week at the beach, but we had outings at a local zoo, science center, dolphin watch boat tour and time on the beach. The zoo and science center were all day. He has always loved being outside though and loves his stroller. At 10 months we did Disney for the first time and he was great with the exception of puking on me the 2nd day and refusing to sleep in the pack-n-play. He slept with me which is why I don’t want to do the value hotels anymore. The bed was too small and I was so afraid he would fall off I didn’t sleep well. In the parks, he alternated between my Ergo and the stroller. We also did 4 character meals and he loved meeting characters.

At 15 months I did notice a difference. Once he was walking he wasn’t much for standing around in lines. He wasn’t cranky, just wanted to take off. We went back to that same beach and did the same outings, except instead of the dolphin watch tour, we did a day at a local mall (for dd and my 17 year-old sitter who was with us to shop for their birthdays) and a day at Busch Gardens. He loved everything except the other characters at the Elmo and Friends lunch. He had only seen Elmo videos, so he wanted nothing to do with the other characters. He did sit in Elmo’s lap for the picture. I laugh when I look at it because he’s got a vice grip on Elmo’s hand as Big Bird is sitting next to Elmo. He’s also wearing a red t-shirt and almost disappears in the shot.

At 21 months the three of us had an amazing little trip to Orlando to visit Sea World. It was October so it was much warmer there than it was here, but not too bad. It also rained off and on one day. The main problem I had with him was on that rainy day. He was not liking the rain cover on his stroller and would not let it stay down. That was a small stroller so it probably felt like the rain cover was all over him. We’re taking a larger stroller on our next trip. He napped in the stroller when he needed to. We did 2 open to almost close days at Sea World. 9am to 5pm on the first day when they were closing at 6pm and we were there 9am to 7pm the next day when they were closing at 8pm. He rode all of the rides he was big enough to ride in Happy Harbor, some of them multiple times. He loved the shows, loved the animals and the bubble machines they had out.

We were going for a 3rd day there, but were warned it would be wall to wall people and that on the previous Saturday, they’d been forced to close the park at 1pm due to capacity crowds. Wasn’t my idea of a good time and it was our last park day before going home, so I went online and got us WDW tickets. We arrived just before rope drop and left just before 9pm. We took plenty of breaks and stopped for two meals. He had one melt down. I was in line at Columbia Harbor house and the line is so small, I had dd stand near the line with the stroller. He wasn’t happy with this even though he could see me. He kept lunging forward which is his signal he wants the stroller to move, but there was literally no room and I didn’t want dd out of my sight so I didn’t let her walk him around. He cried the entire time I was in line. I tried talking to him partially because I could see people looking around wondering where these children’s parent(s) were, but reassuring him the food was almost ready wasn’t helping. Of course it took a long time. I guess it was because they were just opening. That was it though. He napped in his stroller and fell asleep as we were leaving. We accomplished a lot.

Mickey’s Philharmagic 3 times
Small world 3 times
Buzz Lightyear 2 times
Tea cups
Dumbo
Carousel 2 times
Tiana Meet and Greet
People mover 2 times
Jungle cruise
Tiki Room
Aladdin
Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade
MSEP
Lunch at Columbia Harbor House
Dinner at Cosmic Ray’s
Shopping

I am just :rotfl: reading some of this! Sorry but you gotta admit it is a little funny. Im sure when we got with DD2 & DS9 this June I wont be thinking so at the time though, but maybe one day we will look back and laugh. I am cautiously optimistic about it. She sometimes doesn't like the stroller at home so I am also bringing one of those toddler leashes, which I used to mock people for using but I totally see the value for times like this. She doesn't really love that either and I still feel pretty goofy using it so Im not sure how much help it will be but we are coming prepared! Planning on taking lots of cool off breaks since its gonna be hot. Shes not a big napper, she usually sleeps in the car coming/going or she will pass out in the stroller if we are lucky. She can sleep anywhere if shes tired so I dont think we will have to worry too much about naps but I guess we will see. We are going to be getting up a little earlier than we do at home so that might change things. We arent going to have a strict schedule but we do have an idea of things that are "must do's" and a few ADRs.

We are also going back in June. Only it’s my son that is 2 and my dd that is 9. He will be just under 2.5. I have a stroller, my Ergo and one of the harnesses with the stuffed puppy on it. My son actually likes his harness because it means he doesn’t have to hold my hand. I’m hoping as long as I manage as I have keeping him sleeping and eating as he does at home and hydrated and his health is fine, we’ll have minimal differences in how he behaves at home. He is not a tantrum thrower in the sense most people see it. When he doesn’t get his way, he will drop his head, poke out his lip, let out a deep breath and fold his arms to try to guilt me into giving him his way. Once he did go and lay down on the floor to show his exasperation. It was hilarious.

I have lots of down time scheduled for us to rest and we continue to do outings. The one concern I have is that his attitude towards the characters will change. I keep showing him pictures of him and dd on the last trip so that he is hopefully not surprised by their size. He doesn’t recognize that the baby in the pictures is him, but he does recognize dd and we talk about how big Mickey and the other characters are. I have also shown him pictures of little boys his size with characters.

I always let my children dictate the pace on trips. I think it helps us. We are not commando tourists anywhere we go. I try to schedule so that if there is a late night, we do not have to be anywhere early the next morning. Like for our upcoming trip, on our first night we are going to try to see Wishes, but the next day we are only touring World Showcase so we'll sleep in since it doesn't open until 11am. I have some half days in where we tour from early morning to around 2, then head in for the day. I also have a day where we relax at the resort all day. I have some breakfast ADRs and some dinner ones. He is not good midday so (too close to nap time) so I don't have any lunch ADRs scheduled. Lunch will either be CS (if we had a small breakfast) or a snack (if we had a TS meal at breakfast). We'll also make use of midday breaks to get away from the park. We'll see how it goes. I booked the longest trip I could afford so we would have time to relax.

I think the OP pretty much hit the nail on the head here! A lot of people think that children are going to be darling angels while at WDW but thinking like that leads to the adult version of a miserable vacation.

DD is in her Temper Tantrum Three's and can be a downright terror. She was such a calm baby but that all went downhill at 2. ::yes:: In place of my angel I had a "NO!", "NOW!", whining because she didn't get her way toddler. Calm turned to sass and that's just escalated. She behaves pretty well at home but isn't a stranger to the "Time Out Stool" either.

I have to say, when we're on vacation, she's really, really good 99.9% of the time. I found that all it takes is one "if you don't stop that we're going back to our room for the rest of the day" to clear up any "problems" she's having. :rotfl:

DD also doesn't like to sleep and she never has. The ONLY full night's sleep that I've gotten since '09 is while we're visiting The World. At the end of the night she falls asleep in 0.02 seconds on the nearest bed, couch or (on one occasion) floor and sleeps like a brick until I wake her in the morning. :woohoo: Knowing that I'll have at least 8 hours of UNinterrupted sleep for at least 6 nights in a row is one of the highlights of my vacation, and probably the reason we visit so often! :lmao: In all serious though, she's just a high energy kid and we live in an area that doesn't offer a whole lot in the way of things to do. She goes all day on vacation with the exception of her afternoon stroller nap and wears herself out.

LOL - I'm howling at kmb584's remarks on sleep at WDW. I, too, count on at least seven hours of continuous sleep ONLY when I'm at WDW because it is the only time my kids are so worn out and I'm so worn out that no one wakes up all night!

The one 'trick' that worked with my older son that helped make the toddler age saner was going to about 60% of "in park" time (with lots of time at the playgrounds, fountains, etc. included there) and 40% out of park time (Chip and Dale's campfire at Ft. Wilderness, playing on the "beach" at the Polynesian while waiting to see the MK fireworks, walking around the hotel grounds, etc.). The sights, sounds, smells, etc. of the parks for too long at a time seemed to be overwhelming. Even just leaving the MK to ride the boat over to Wilderness Lodge to get lunch and back (with nap on the boat) made the day oh so doable after that.

And we didn't always have to leave the park when a meltdown hit. Just heading to the "People Mover" at the MK (we once ride five times without getting off so my toddler could enjoy a nice nap) or to the Finding Nemo show at AK (where mommy enjoyed the show and baby a nap), etc. could turn the whole day around.

Just keep your sense of humor!

And we always watch the Disney Sing Along Songs videos that show the characters before we head out and talk about what they are going to see. My six year old has finally figured out that the "Main Street" we see in one is of DisneyLAND not the MK, but he still loves watching that video.

How did I forget about this one?

On our last trip the youngest was 15 months old. Second night he was a bit fussy overnight and actually woke up and woke me up (hard to do at WDW).

The next day he was cranky (not at all normal for him, but I just chalked it up to not his normal bed, not his normal routine). My friend who joined us at MK said "he looks a bit flushed", and I attributed it to too many layers (it was December and that day it had warmed up) and stripped off one layer. A bit later she noticed "he's tugging at his ear . . ." and the UH OH warning went off.

We went to the first aid station (these are in every park and usually next to the baby care center -- which, by the way, is a great place to go for those really nasty diaper changes) and they checked his temp and yep, he had a fever. They gave him a dose of an infant fever reducer (Tylenol?) and the number for the nearest CentraCare urgent treatment center. http://www.centracare.org/VisitingOrlando/tabid/14606/Default.aspx

We didn't have a vehicle with us (flew in, used Magical Express and park buses the whole trip), so CentraCare was a lifesaver. Before you leave for your trip check their website and put their phone number in your mobile phone. They will pick you up and drop you off on WDW property, but the location doesn't have to be the same. For example, they picked us up at the Swan and then dropped us off at Downtown Disney to meet up with my older son who was with grandparents while we went to the doctor. They dispensed his medication on site (so didn't have to go to yet another location for that) and they have appointments, so we had minimal wait time at their facility. Don't get me wrong, the whole process was probably around 3-4 hours. But hey, we left with antibiotic in hand and were picked up and delivered back exactly as planned.

Bottom line - if your toddler is cranky, there might be a reason. Be prepared for those little medical emergencies.

LOL - I'm howling at kmb584's remarks on sleep at WDW. I, too, count on at least seven hours of continuous sleep ONLY when I'm at WDW because it is the only time my kids are so worn out and I'm so worn out that no one wakes up all night!

Happy to see that I'm not the only one who banks on Disney sleep! :cloud9:

Disney World is the equivalent of Ambien for Toddlers, and for that I will be forever grateful! :worship:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter