Disney with an 8 month old

Heart82381

Mouseketeer
We are thinking of going to Disney this December and our child will be around 8 months at the time of our trip (he/she is still baking in the womb). Is taking an 8 month old to Disney a good idea? :confused3 Everyone says they won't remember, but no matter where we vacation the child at this age will not remember. Will we get bored? Please give me your honest opinion and any tips/advice you have for us. :cutie:

Thanks!

We are thinking of going to Disney this December and our child will be around 8 months at the time of our trip (he/she is still baking in the womb). Is taking an 8 month old to Disney a good idea? :confused3 Everyone says they won't remember, but no matter where we vacation the child at this age will not remember. Will we get bored? Please give me your honest opinion and any tips/advice you have for us. :cutie:

Thanks!

Heart-
We are taking our 8 month old in 18 days. Our theory is he is free to fly, free to hangout in the park. He might not remember anything, but will definitely be entertained by the characters and the Magic. We've taken him to Chicago for a weekend ( @4mos) and he had a blast at the aquarium. Be prepared to go through the parks a little slower than you would without him/her, but you will remember his first trip and that's all that matters.
Happy planning!

we just got back saturday from a week with our 2 daughters - 6 years and 8 months. we had a fabulous time!!! we rented a condo at windsor hills so we could spread out. we did parks every day but one - spent the morning and afternoon and were back by bedtime every night. we did one character meal and the baby loved all the character interactions.

My best advice is to plan to take things slow and go with your baby's flow! I was very anxious before we left but everything went very smoothly.

Have a great time!

We took our baby girl at 8 months to the World and had an amazing time with her! It was a fun age, because she was big enough to sit up in a high chair to join us at meals and even sample the delicious Disney food. She enjoyed pretty much all the rides (that didn't have height restrictions), and we were pleasantly surprised by how free of meltdowns the the trip was. Made early dining reservations, got a sitter one night (Kids Nite Out was excellent) and everything was great! She especially enjoyed the characters (Mickey, Goofy and Pluto have irresistible noses to a baby that age, apparently).

You will absolutely not get bored! We took DD at 2 mos, 8 mos, 12 mos, have another trip planned for March, 16 mos. 8 mos has by far been the most fun. She could ride almost everything and wasn't afraid of anything yet. She LOVED all the characters! When we went at 12 mos she only liked Baloo (sp?), King Louie and Marie (from Aristocats).

If you're nursing, practice nursing in public before you go. I'm a pro now but on our first trip it was really awkward; I was either flashing people while DD flailed to get out from under the hot cover or going to the baby care center every 2 hrs. By 8 mos though she was eating table food and only nursing occasionally.

Get yourself a baby carrier, I prefer my Moby wrap. DD doesn't like to sit in her stroller for long periods of time and loves to be held, but my arms don't love that. She'll nap in the Moby, it's comfy for me, I can wear her in a variety of positions, it's in expensive (about $35) and it's one size so you and your DH can share or if you loose, gain weight it will fit. It's also really great for around the house with a newborn, you can get some chores done and have your hands free.

We always take a mid-day break to give DD a good solid nap and some down time from all the stimulation. She was a dream at 8 mos! Not crazy at all for taking your little one! Have fun!!!

oh, and don't worry that he won't remember, it doesn't matter, you will! The pictures and memories of his reactions will be priceless! Plus, it's not like you're going to be spending a ton of money on taking him, fly free, free admission and at that age can eat off your plate or free from a buffet. I get so annoyed when people say that to me, that we're wasting money. She's having a great time and so are we, and we will always remember it, there is no waste!

My favorite memory is DD seeing Marie from Aristocats at the France pavillion on our last day. She said "kitty" and threw her arms out to give her a big hug and kiss.

Who cares if the baby doesn't remember? When my kids were that age (okay, even now), WDW is for ME, baby!!! Only half kidding. ;)

We have taken both our kids when they were 6 or 7 months and had wonderful trips. We have the best memories of them being @ WDW as infants and tons of pics. I loved that age, because we could just throw them in the stroller or carry them....no whining or getting too tired to walk....they just enjoyed the lights and characters, etc.

Take the baby and have a magical time! Don't forget to take advantage of the baby care centers, they are excellent.

We have been there twice since we've had kids and the first time our Sarah was 12 months. The last time we went in 08 our Lulu was 3 months. She doesn't remember anything, but I do. I remember her looking at all the lights in the electrial parade. Personally I think you are never to young to go to WDW.

I took DS at 8 months (Dec. 07). It was a great trip. He LOVED looked around at everything, enjoyed lots of the rides. I would say looking at the Christmas lights at DHS is a must. We spent about 1 hr with DS in awe of the lights (and 1 hr is very long for an 8 mo old). I got great Santa pictures. DS loved it. He wasn't afraid of any characters. Giggled with Pooh and Piglet, etc. No, he won't remember, but I do and have priceless pictures. Now, at almost 3, he loves flipping through his WDW scrapbook album and looking at him as a baby at WDW.

He was also really easy. He napped when he wanted, I was nursing, so food was really easy, plus he'd eat some finger foods and some foods off my plate. I had a baby carrier for him, plus a stroller. It was a great trip.

We went when my youngest was 7 months & it was great. Of course, we were already 'slowed down' by our bigger kids, but the baby was easy & had a blast. She rode pretty much everything we could all ride, mostly still sitting in the Ergo carrier (which I highly recommend). She napped in the Ergo on me whenever she wanted to. She was able to sit in a highchair, she loved all the characters. I nursed her as she needed, and had a sippy cup of water for the rest of the time.

I don't know that my bigger kids -- now 5 and 6.5 -- will 'remember' any of these trips. But we have great memories, tons of pictures, and it's fun NOW. *I* remember. I remember seeing each of their faces at various points on our trips. We have so much fun and I wouldn't ever trade it!

We have taken my 19 month 3 times since he was born...5 months, 9 months and 17 months. The 5 and 9 month trips were by far the EASIEST trip we have taken and we have been going to the world at least once a year since my 6 year old was 18 months.

He was so easy and fun at that age. Not the on-the-go 17 month old he was in November!:scared1:

Enjoy it and who cares what everyone else has to say! It's YOUR vacation!!

We took our dd last year at 9 months. The only hard part was that she was off schedule and woke up early (5ish) the whole trip. We just didn't go out in the evenings much and got to bed early:) She was able to nap in the stroller beautifully 2xday while we took turns with ds4 on rides. She rode everything in FL and Buzz. She enjoyed herself but was scared of the characters. I wouldn't hesitate to go! They still are not walking and that is way better than a 13 month old who wants to walk and get out of a stroller;)

I would say if this is going to be a "once in a lifetime" trip, then wait 'til the kid is older. Since you've already got several trips under your belt, I doubt this is the case. :)

We took my DS at 10 mos and almost a year later he still LOVES to look at the pictures from the trip.

We took DD at 8 months and she loved it! We took her on lots of rides, she met characters and had a blast the entire time. She even had an ear infection at the time, but you wouldn't have known it since she was in such a good mood.

We just kept to her schedule and let her dictate our day. If she was hungry, we stopped what we were doing and fed her. If she was tired, we found a quiet place to sit and let her nap in the stroller.

Your child may not remember it but you will have amazing memories to last the rest of your life!

Two little words of advice... BABY SLING. This was a lifesaver for standing in line! See picture below of my 10 mo old (and my 2.5 yr old). You can't take your stroller into the lines with you, and this will come in handy so you don't have to "hold" the baby in your arms.

Also wanted to add... don't forget about the baby stations around the park!! If you nurse, you can do this here (if you're not comfortable nursing in public), and they have places to play & crawl around when your little one needs time to just "get down".

100_0826.jpg

I took my son when he was 8 months and my daughter who was 18 and also my neice, so there was always someone who could watch him while 2 of us rode. He loved the lights, some of the rides, shows, and just being out and about!! He napped in the stroller, and we used the Baby Centers and they were great!

With the economy the way it is & money being tight, we probably won't go back for a few years. He is now 27 months and quite the handful (which is an understatement!!) so I'm going to wait until he calms down abit before taking him back there, anyway.

My dd's first Disney trip was when she was about 7 months old. It was such a fun trip and everyone that went has amazing memories about it! At that age, she was just starting to do so many fun things and what a better place to celebrate them all in! She cut her first tooth at Disney-one of my favorite pics is of her eating her first Popsicle in EPCOT. Also, she swam in a pool for the first time--all wonderful memories--ones that she might not remember-but I will!!!:goodvibes Go and have a wonderful time and enjoy having a portable baby that will go anywhere you guys want and won't complain about it! :rotfl:
-Kelly:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter