Disney to lay off 28,000 workers at WDW and DL

So if you are ok, it's fine? That is how it reads to an outsider.

Germany is ready to pay 80 percent of salary for TWO years which is an ominous sign....
We can only judge a situation from our life experiences. And over the years especially during the 2008 recession it is clear that people make poor money choices. They have the money to save, they choose not to.

My husband lost his job last friday after being with the company for 24 years. You can't even file for unemployment right now because they are "upgrading" their system until at least Oct 5. We are in a state of panic over here. My friend filed back in July and has yet to receive any money, it's been over 3 months now.
It takes 30 days minimum for you to get your first benefit check. My daughter is still waiting for her claim to be processed and she filed in June. We are in California. She reminds me of my mom who grew up in the depression. Both had the mindset that there is always a way to save money, you just do without something. I am that way too I guess. My daughter was shocked Saturday to see Cocoa Cola in the fridge instead of RC or Sam's Choice. Coke was on sale at Walmart this week for less than RC and Sam'sChoice

I have a friend who's husband was laid off due to CV19, he was called back but told if he didn't feel comfortable coming back he didn't have to and he could continue to collect unemployment. His wife said "no way you're going back to make less money". He's an example of a person making more money on unemployment with the additional $600 than what he was making while actually working. This is what's wrong with that plan. Why would a person go back to work to make less money? JMHO

I saw this last night and cried. I feel so bad for these families. So many lives affected. These Disney families are the latest of so many people out of work because of this ** virus. I pray for each of them to get through this.

My daughter graduated from college last May and is unable to find work (She has a 20 hour a week position now). She needs a real job, or another part time job or two but there aren't any. She is not eligible for any help because she was not let go from a job when Covid hit. She just can't get a job now.

I have a friend who's husband was laid off due to CV19, he was called back but told if he didn't feel comfortable coming back he didn't have to and he could continue to collect unemployment. His wife said "no way you're going back to make less money". He's an example of a person making more money on unemployment with the additional $600 than what he was making while actually working. This is what's wrong with that plan. Why would a person go back to work to make less money? JMHO
Because the extra $600 would (and did) expire. So now your friend's husband is presumably still out of a job and making less than he was before. So how did that decision work out for him?

It takes 30 days minimum for you to get your first benefit check. My daughter is still waiting for her claim to be processed and she filed in June. We are in California. She reminds me of my mom who grew up in the depression. Both had the mindset that there is always a way to save money, you just do without something. I am that way too I guess. My daughter was shocked Saturday to see Cocoa Cola in the fridge instead of RC or Sam's Choice. Coke was on sale at Walmart this week for less than RC and Sam'sChoice
We are in CA too :wave2: that's why I mentioned the fact that you can't file a new claim for unemployment right now. They need to do a complete overhaul of the system- but this is horrible timing for us. I have no problem with having to wait 30 days for first check, but not even processing claims from back in June? We are screwed if this continues. Believe me, my husband and I are thrifty, try not to spend beyond our means. We are sitting down this afternoon to go over expenses and see what we can cut-didn't help that we had to buy a new phone because his company supplied his. Also got our bill for property taxes yesterday.

Because the extra $600 would (and did) expire. So now your friend's husband is presumably still out of a job and making less than he was before. So how did that decision work out for him?

It worked out very well for him. He has his job which he could have gone back to sooner but choise to not go back to make more money being laid off...

I am so, so sorry. My dh lost his job of 25 years back in October. They hired him back in December, thankfully. Those 2 months were horrible and I understand the panic you're feeling :(
I'm so glad he was rehired, this is very stressful. I haven't worked in 3 years for various reasons, so we are both unemployed now- which is a very scary situation. Fortunately he was able to cash out 2 months of paid time off so we have a little buffer for him to find another job. I guess it's time for me to go back to work.

We are in CA too :wave2: that's why I mentioned the fact that you can't file a new claim for unemployment right now. They need to do a complete overhaul of the system- but this is horrible timing for us. I have no problem with having to wait 30 days for first check, but not even processing claims from back in June? We are screwed if this continues. Believe me, my husband and I are thrifty, try not to spend beyond our means. We are sitting down this afternoon to go over expenses and see what we can cut-didn't help that we had to buy a new phone because his company supplied his. Also got our bill for property taxes yesterday.
Yeah, I got my property tax bill money. Post office had no trouble delivering that! A co-worker retired and turned in her company phone, got a $29 walmart pay as you go smart phone. Cell phones don't have to be expensive. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Walmart-...MI7t_D_ZOR7AIVB6_ICh1x3wIMEAQYAyABEgI-AfD_BwE

Yeah adding the word "benefits" to the post would have helped. Okay, not great benefits, but not the worst. $275 a week in Florida. $235 a week in Mississippi, $247 in Louisiana and $190 in Puerto Rico https://www.savingtoinvest.com/maximum-weekly-unemployment-benefits-by-state/

She quoted your post that talked about benefits (without, by the way, adding the word benefits either). Basic thinking skills should have made the meaning obvious.

Your post:
The extra $600 did expire. But at least in California, basic unemployment is pretty good. Not counting the other programs that are still in operation.

PP's post (which quoted yours).
Unemployment in Florida is horribly low. One of the lowest in the US.

because (for some folks, not all)-

they want to retain their jobs. not all employers are holding those jobs for people that simply choose to stay home and collect u/i. u/i doesn't provide healthcare, and buying it on your own can come with substantial sticker shock.

they don't want to end up with a u/i over payment. some employers are reporting those that are simply declining to come back to their available jobs. the u/i administrations in most states are too overwhelmed right now to be dealing with calculating over payments for improperly received benefits but i suspect they will get around to it-and may take a look at the claims that people filled out to see if they honestly reported that their jobs were not available to them for the duration of their claims (u/i fraud is serious and comes with substantial penalties).

they want to retain their u/i benefits for when they truly do NOT have a job available to them, if they have a job available now and exhaust their benefits then their lack of active work history can create ineligibility when they no longer have a choice of working or not.

they want to retain their seniority with their employer which can drive better pay through longevity, promotions and other opportunities (yup, even entry level jobs can have this).

they have a personal work ethic that drives them and perhaps children that they want to model that work ethic to.

All of this makes me want to visit the parks less and less. I'm writing this from the perspective of someone that just became a DVC member. I was so excited about that for me and my family but Covid kinda quashed that and the news of the last few days has not made be feel and more positive. Disney made about eleven billion dollars at the end of quarter three and you can't tell me that any of this was necessary. Cuts were necessary sure but not to this degree.

Just got a text from my daughter. EDD texted her today. They have verified her identify and her claim has been approved. She filed the first week of June, same day as I did. I got my debit card a month later with my money on it. So I expect she should have her debit card loaded with her money within the month. So EDD is using the two week shutdown to catch up on the one million unpaid claims.

because (for some folks, not all)-

they want to retain their jobs. not all employers are holding those jobs for people that simply choose to stay home and collect u/i. u/i doesn't provide healthcare, and buying it on your own can come with substantial sticker shock.

they don't want to end up with a u/i over payment. some employers are reporting those that are simply declining to come back to their available jobs. the u/i administrations in most states are too overwhelmed right now to be dealing with calculating over payments for improperly received benefits but i suspect they will get around to it-and may take a look at the claims that people filled out to see if they honestly reported that their jobs were not available to them for the duration of their claims (u/i fraud is serious and comes with substantial penalties).

they want to retain their u/i benefits for when they truly do NOT have a job available to them, if they have a job available now and exhaust their benefits then their lack of active work history can create ineligibility when they no longer have a choice of working or not.

they want to retain their seniority with their employer which can drive better pay through longevity, promotions and other opportunities (yup, even entry level jobs can have this).

they have a personal work ethic that drives them and perhaps children that they want to model that work ethic to.

I agree that there are many people with good work ethics and good moral judgment who would do the right thing and return to their job when and if it was available. All I know is in the case I noted the person was told by they employer that if they weren't confortable with returning to work at that time they didn't have to. Later after continuing to collet the extra $600 per week until it was no longer available they were able to return to their job. Doesn't seem right to me but what do I know...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter