Disney to lay off 28,000 workers at WDW and DL

Just saw this in the Wall Street Journal. It's really sad. I hope that the Congress is able to come together with a plan to temporarily help not just these Cast Members, but also all of the other Americans who continue to be unemployed or underemployed due to the pandemic. It's the very least that they can do.

Just read this too. Mostly if not all will be part time workers.
It was inevitable but still sad.:sad2:

Just saw this in the Wall Street Journal. It's really sad. I hope that the Congress is able to come together with a plan to temporarily help not just these Cast Members, but also all of the other Americans who continue to be unemployed or underemployed due to the pandemic. It's the very least that they can do.
Yes, but that's a topic for another thread and it would turn ugly in a heartbeat. There was a comment to the news story about it.

I am really mad right now at the California governor. Our family has tickets in hand and we're ready to go. I'm even willing to pay the crazy price tag of a night in the Disneyland Hotel. The state of CA won't publish theme park reopening guidelines. It's very very frustrating.

Well, they have. Certainly you might think it isn't enough. But I'm 63 and collected unemployment this year due to a furlough related to covid-19. First time ever in my life. Not counting the $1,200 stimulus check, I was one of those who made more on unemployment than I would have made working. It was an eye opening experience for me. I hope the Disney employees take full advantage of all the financial aid programs out there for the unemployed.

Well, they have. Certainly you might think it isn't enough. But I'm 63 and collected unemployment this year due to a furlough related to covid-19. First time ever in my life. Not counting the $1,200 stimulus check, I was one of those who made more on unemployment than I would have made working. It was an eye opening experience for me. I hope the Disney employees take full advantage of all the financial aid programs out there for the unemployed.
Those programs no longer exist, sadly. They expired at the end of July I think.

Those programs no longer exist, sadly. They expired at the end of July I think.
The extra $600 did expire. But at least in California, basic unemployment is pretty good. Not counting the other programs that are still in operation.

The extra $600 did expire. But at least in California, basic unemployment is pretty good. Not counting the other programs that are still in operation.

basic unemployment in California sucks. The maximum is 450 a week.My state the maximum is 713 a week and we’re not even the highest.looking quick and not double checking California comes in around 20th. Better than 30 states of course but California like you know is very expensive.

basic unemployment in California sucks. The maximum is 450 a week.My state the maximum is 713 a week and we’re not even the highest.looking quick and not double checking California comes in around 20th. Better than 30 states of course but California like you know is very expensive.
Guess it depends on what your normal salary is, and your expenses. But I got the extra $600 on top of the $450.

basic unemployment in California sucks. The maximum is 450 a week.My state the maximum is 713 a week and we’re not even the highest.

That's huge compared to most of the country, though. Our max is $330. And of course, the supplement expired months ago so that $330 is all people are getting now (and the earliest claimants will start running out of benefit weeks in another month or so, after which they'll get nothing).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter