Disney to lay off 28,000 workers at WDW and DL

Guess it depends on what your normal salary is, and your expenses. But I got the extra $600 on top of the $450.

Is that really generous, though, given the cost of living there? By my math, that works out to like $26.25/hr with the supplement... my daughter is averaging $20+/hr as a college student in a minimum wage plus tips job in the Bay Area. I can't imagine it went very far for independent adults, at least in her part of the state.

Is that really generous, though, given the cost of living there? By my math, that works out to like $26.25/hr with the supplement... my daughter is averaging $20+/hr as a college student in a minimum wage plus tips job in the Bay Area. I can't imagine it went very far for independent adults, at least in her part of the state.
Like I said above, it depends on your expenses.

Your daughter is working. Unemployment is not meant to be generous. It's meant to help provide a bridge between gaps in employment.

The extra $600 did expire. But at least in California, basic unemployment is pretty good. Not counting the other programs that are still in operation.
My husband lost his job last friday after being with the company for 24 years. You can't even file for unemployment right now because they are "upgrading" their system until at least Oct 5. We are in a state of panic over here. My friend filed back in July and has yet to receive any money, it's been over 3 months now.

Disney was going to have to lay off some of their CM's regardless of Disneyland being open or not. They are just using this as leverage to try to force California to allow Theme Parks to open.

Disney was going to have to lay off some of their CM's regardless of Disneyland being open or not. They are just using this as leverage to try to force California to allow Theme Parks to open.

disney is doing some to themselves. At the very least in California the grand California should be open because it’s a vacation club resort. Disney has kept it close even thou they could open it and bring some cast members back to work. Maybe a hundred or so but better than nothing. They will rather have the workers remain unemployed than opening up the hotel.

disney is doing some to themselves. At the very least in California the grand California should be open because it’s a vacation club resort. Disney has kept it close even thou they could open it and bring some cast members back to work. Maybe a hundred or so but better than nothing. They will rather have the workers remain unemployed than opening up the hotel.

I highly doubt there would be enough demand to justify the hotel being open. How many people would use their points to stay when the parks are closed?

I highly doubt there would be enough demand to justify the hotel being open. How many people would use their points to stay when the parks are closed?
Well if you visit the Disneyland Boards you will see that there are a number of people who would love to take a "stay-cation" at the Grand Californian even with the parks closed. Though I do tend to agree with you that there wouldn't likely be enough of demand.

That $26.25 an hour is more than a lot of people make, including myself. A lot of people who lost jobs, lost lower wage jobs so they made considerable more while on unemployment then they would have working.

My husband lost his job last friday after being with the company for 24 years. You can't even file for unemployment right now because they are "upgrading" their system until at least Oct 5. We are in a state of panic over here. My friend filed back in July and has yet to receive any money, it's been over 3 months now.

I am so, so sorry. My dh lost his job of 25 years back in October. They hired him back in December, thankfully. Those 2 months were horrible and I understand the panic you're feeling :(

I would use mine and just visit family. Points have an expiration date. You can bank or borrow some, but they are basically use or lose.

basic unemployment in California sucks. The maximum is 450 a week.My state the maximum is 713 a week and we’re not even the highest.looking quick and not double checking California comes in around 20th. Better than 30 states of course but California like you know is very expensive.

California isn't the only state that doesn't pay enough unemployment for people to survive in many areas. Florida has a $275 per week max unemployment. Good luck to anyone trying to live in the heavily populated locations on that. They would most likely end up homeless. We live in South Florida. Our groceries alone for a family of 3 cost us over $200 per week & we're not eating steak & lobster. Naturally, the area you live in makes a difference in every state.

Last edited:
Guess it depends on what your normal salary is, and your expenses. But I got the extra $600 on top of the $450.
So if you are ok, it's fine? That is how it reads to an outsider.

Germany is ready to pay 80 percent of salary for TWO years which is an ominous sign....

Wow, some of these base numbers are awful. Texas' maximum unemployment payout is $521 per week. Florida's is particularly hard to believe.

Welp, looks like I have to plan for the worst, as I have usually done in the past. I'll have to figure out what to do for employment, especially since my unemployment pay is based on me being furloughed. With the possibility of Florida requiring seeking employment in the future because of being actually laid off, not many businesses hiring at the moment, and an influx of thousands looking for work, it's going to put a strain my me mentally. Especially if I wind up at a job that treats me horribly (Reminder: I am a trans woman). I might very well wind up homeless in this "survival of the fittest" world.
Great reason why folks should never, ever, Move to Florida.
I wanted to move from here years ago. We've lived here roughly 20 years now. I personally never felt like I fit in.

As COVID quarantines were happening, I had begun plans to move back to NY in a couple of years after this had passed. My Dad is another reason this decision. He wanted to move closer to family we left behind. He's been in a massively bad state of depression the past few months. I don't even think he knows what Disney is planning. This might cause him further harm. My Dad is approaching 80 soon. I don't know how much he could take.

We wanted to save up and get things right to look towards a move in that time. Now, it's not going to be possible at that time frame. We might have to wait much later, if at all.

Welp, looks like I have to plan for the worst, as I have usually done in the past.
I'm really sorry and I hope that you and your family find a way forward with a minimum amount of pain or disruption. Your story is unfortunately more common and is often drowned out by the voices of privilege (especially on this message board) It's what annoyed me on page 1 with the attitude that 'if I'm ok, everyone is ok'. There is a big difference between an older man with no dependents, working a professional job for decades which is minimally impacted by the pandemic or even has more work as a result, with a partner doing the same, minimal expenses, and living a lifetime of frugality, vs someone working in a low paid industry most seveerly impacted by the pandemic (but often loving what they do, and having to accept the reality of pay in the industry)

Millions of people around the world are really, really struggling. Most of their voices are not heard here.

Best thoughts to you.

I understand why their governor is making the decision not to open theme parks and also feel for the staff members that were laid off. The state is on fire and likely will be, in one form or another, for a long time. I understand not wanting to increase the possibility of large increase in cases while you are already stretched thin in other areas.

There are no good options, just the least bad option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter