Disney to cancel FPs if room is cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also agree that ADRs booked more than 180 days in advance should also be cancelled, at least for the hard to get ones.
Well that makes no sense to me.

I mean I don't really care about BOG but we booked Skipper Canteen in MK. From your statement you think if I did do a book then cancel and obtained an ADR for Skipper Canteen as a result of the additional up to 10 days I'm golden because it wasn't BOG which is considered hard to get.

In other words 'hard to get' makes no sense IMO because that's not the root issue. The issue would be using the additional up to 10 days booking window to obtain any ADR when you have no intention of keeping the reservation that allowed you those additional days.

In any case I'm not sure they want to touch ADRs because ADRs aren't tied to resort reservations with exception to the up to 10 additional days. Do we really want Disney's system to even attempt to be responsible for combing out ADRs obtained 181+ days out? lol.

If you don't actually stay there Disney loses a lot of cash. It's not like booking a room at a Hyatt, where you probably won't spend much money outside the cost of the room. No room occupants mean no retail sales, no food sales, etc. I guarantee you Disney cares about every penny they lose.

Not really. People staying off site are atill buying souvenirs, food etc... They're not losing that much.

That's not a loophole though. Physical presence is not a requirement for a hotel stay. And while you may not agree with it that's presently how Disney operates. In all honesty they've gotten their money in majority of cases. The person isn't cancelling and getting a refund. They are paying for the room. I do understand feelings towards taking up a room without being there though it is not a loophole to do so (presently).
Technically physical presence (or at least checking in online) is required for a hotel stay. When a hotel closes the register for the day they take all the no shows, collect the penalty, and reopen the room because technically it was cancelled. So technically speaking by not showing up you’ve cancelled the room. Different if you show up and check in and don’t use. Which is not considerate but allowed. Also though when people book the cheapest category and collect the magic bands for 10 guest (as some bragged on this thread) that is a drag on everyone else. Those aren’t free but are built into the room costs assuming a certain duration of stay. So everyone staying more than 1 night is subsidizing those magic bands and parking too. Especially if a magic bands is 15 per band and then that campsite is 60-100 for a tent site.

Last edited:
Technically physical presence (or at least checking in) is required for a hotel stay. When a hotel closes the register for the day they take all the no shows, collect the penalty, and reopen the room because technically it was cancelled. So technically speaking by not showing up you’ve cancelled the room. Different if you show up and check in and don’t use. Which is not considerate but allowed. Also though when people book the cheapest category and collect the magic bands for 10 guest (as some bragged on this thread) that is a drag on everyone else. Those aren’t free but are built into the room costs assuming a certain duration of stay. So everyone staying more than 1 night is subsidizing those magic bands and parking too

You can check in online. So no, physical presence isn't required.

You can check in online. So no, physical presence isn't required.
Sure that was my comment in parentheses saying or at least checking in. I’ll make it clear I meant online and edit it. But you can’t no-show because then technically you’ve cancelled your room. So if we go the letter of the rule, which people are using, then you never should have been entitled to keep the fast pass

Not really. People staying off site are atill buying souvenirs, food etc... They're not losing that much.
I believe it is in Disney best interest to have you stay on property. I would bet the revenue per on property guest is much higher than those off property. Partly because people off property are already likely value seekers (I was one for years). Also when staying on you stay in the Disney bubble thus only buying Disney food, souvenirs, etc. In my opinion the magical express wasn’t just to cut down on cars at resorts neither was the parking fee, I would bet in my opinion it was partly done to make it more difficult to leave the resort to go to Universal, etc thus increasing the revenue per guest.

Technically physical presence (or at least checking in online) is required for a hotel stay. When a hotel closes the register for the day they take all the no shows, collect the penalty, and reopen the room because technically it was cancelled. So technically speaking by not showing up you’ve cancelled the room. Different if you show up and check in and don’t use. Which is not considerate but allowed. Also though when people book the cheapest category and collect the magic bands for 10 guest (as some bragged on this thread) that is a drag on everyone else. Those aren’t free but are built into the room costs assuming a certain duration of stay. So everyone staying more than 1 night is subsidizing those magic bands and parking too. Especially if a magic bands is 15 per band and then that campsite is 60-100 for a tent site.
Yeah I don't think you got what I was saying :) The rest of the stuff you mentioned has nothing to do with what I was saying anyways.

In any case I'm not going to go back and forth on throwaway the way I was discussing which is the way that is allowed to be discussed on the Boards (presently that is)

Yeah I don't think you got what I was saying :) The rest of the stuff you mentioned has nothing to do with what I was saying anyways.

In any case I'm not going to go back and forth on throwaway the way I was discussing which is the way that is allowed to be discussed on the Boards (presently that is)
The first part is directly addressing your comment. The later is addressing the general trend and how it can be “gaming” the system and not all innocent. Addressing your comment on how they got all their money. So as you wrote it I’m pretty sure I understood.

Also loopholes are finding holes in the rules so technically not breaking anything and being fully compliant which is exactly what throwaway rooms are. Canceling within 30 days was always against the rules Disney just didn’t do anything about it.

The first part is directly addressing your comment. The later is addressing the general trend and how it can be “gaming” the system and not all innocent. Addressing your comment on how they got all their money. So as you wrote it I’m pretty sure I understood.

Also loopholes are finding holes in the rules so technically not breaking anything and being fully compliant which is exactly what throwaway rooms are. Canceling within 30 days was always against the rules Disney just didn’t do anything about it.
This thread isn’t a discussion of throwaway rooms. I don’t mean to offend, but please let’s try to stay on topic.

Granted I was on-site but on our last day (check out day) we did a monorail hopping tour by parking our rental car at the TTC and using the Resort Line Monorail.

We bought souvenirs in Grand Floridian and Contemporary though we didn't find anything we wanted in Poly even though we checked that out. Even if I wasn't on-site I could have done that by other means. You get "Complimentary standard self-parking is available while enjoying select dining, shopping, entertainment, and recreation experiences at Disney Resort hotels."

Now I'm not saying people are booking throwaway rooms or the like at the monorail resorts but any resort that has dining or shopping is free game for folks to go to to utilize what is listed in the above quotation: on or off-site guests.

I am glad Disney is putting a policy into effect. I am curious to see how it reads. I also find it interesting to read everyones opinions on this topic. It is granted that eveyone is'nt going to agree but, that's why discissions like these are interesting. :)

Gotcha. I don’t imagine they’d wipe fp for that. I just rebooked the same resort to add the dining plan to one leg of my split stay, which changed the res number and all.

I've never done that so I didn't think of that one - definitely a lot of scenarios! Hopefully it will take that stuff into account with the grace period a pp mentioned (and hopefully wont be too glitchy).

I've never done that so I didn't think of that one - definitely a lot of scenarios! Hopefully it will take that stuff into account with the grace period a pp mentioned (and hopefully wont be too glitchy).
I think this all depends on whether FPs are linked to a specific reservation (unlikely) or just the presence of any onsite reservation...

So this policy existed in the past, right? I've had FastPasses cancelled 1 week after room cancelation

What if there are multiple consecutive reservations and only one is cancelled but others left intact? Will that cancel all fp+ or just the ones made during the cancelled reservation time frame?DD plays basketball and when we can leave depends on tournament placement/time?

I wonder what will happen to those who have split stays booked and changed or cancel one half of their onsite stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!