Disney Stores getting a makeover

My major gripe is that a lot of merch is available in the Disney stores and parks which I don't like. Parks merchandise should be exclusive

My major gripe is that a lot of merch is available in the Disney stores and parks which I don't like. Parks merchandise should be exclusive

Damn near nothing is specialized anymore...

Disney park merchandise really isn't meant for anyone that has set foot in the place prior

Honestly it seems like a lot of the ones built in the last 5-10 years are pretty similar. Around me a few of the malls had their Disney stores move to a smaller store spot and have had a very blank, white appearance to them through the entire store. This at least looks mildly better with a few little decorations and the interactive displays.
Agree though that I miss the original Disney stores with all the decorations and characters.

I miss the days where there were awesome (and expensive) figurines/snowglobes available in all the stores. I remember getting a Nightmare Before Christmas one on clearance and was excited about my purchase. Now, I still love going to my local Disney Store, but I do agree there's not much that feels "special" any more.

The company I used to work for in retail is doing the same thing. We used to have multi-colored wallpapers and furniture-like display pieces as part of the store designs but all stores are going stark white these days. It simplifies seeing the products but it also takes away some of the personality of the store itself. Our Disney Store closed down several years ago so I would be happy with just having one again no matter what style it comes in.

EatonDisneyStore.jpg

I miss the old days...

The old days for me was when all the stores had unique animated window displays...
acb331a9d6e13d1cd1f707bae456c51e--mall-stores-disney-stores.jpg

But I agree with @Lee Matthews that the current stores are cluttered and disorganized. The one Disney Store in my huge metropolitan area always looks like a unkempt outlet store, despite be locating in one of the most successful and wealthiest malls in the country. There is no focus or consensus on brand and no definition to separate the different IP's.

The old days for me was when all the stores had unique animated window displays...
acb331a9d6e13d1cd1f707bae456c51e--mall-stores-disney-stores.jpg

But I agree with @Lee Matthews that the current stores are cluttered and disorganized. The one Disney Store in my huge metropolitan area always looks like a unkempt outlet store, despite be locating in one of the most successful and wealthiest malls in the country. There is no focus or consensus on brand and no definition to separate the different IP's.
Mine still sort of looks like that on the outside. The displays aren't really inside anymore but they still have the large glass window with the film reel.

Mine still sort of looks like that on the outside. The displays aren't really inside anymore but they still have the large glass window with the film reel.

Ours all had went through several new facades and window arrangements over the years, though all but one store was closed during that period.

Remember when Warner Bros tried to launch a competing store chain?
Bz7n6OoIEAEs_Ew.jpg

I miss the days where there were awesome (and expensive) figurines/snowglobes available in all the stores. I remember getting a Nightmare Before Christmas one on clearance and was excited about my purchase. Now, I still love going to my local Disney Store, but I do agree there's not much that feels "special" any more.

Question is, who goes to a mall store to buy that stuff anymore?

My wife used to be into those fad collectibles 20 years ago. Snowglobes and figurines were an easy holiday gift. Fortunately we never acquired more than would fit in a single curio cabinet, which is now hidden in the corner of our dining room.

I'm no expert but it seems like the market for that stuff has dwindled considerably. Snowglobes are virtually non-existent in stores, and even stuff like precious moments and Dept 56 isn't found in nearly as many locations as before. And when people do want that stuff, they turn to the Internet for bargains.

I agree, the market is no longer there for these items and the stores themselves. Traffic is down significantly so they had to cut back. But it was still nice to see them and when I was younger I would always go into the stores (both Disney and Warner Bros.) but now I feel like I'd not really care. Even as a kid I mostly went in just to kind of experience the store and look at all the displays and figures, plus the art pieces and such that are all no longer there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter