• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Snob Does Cedar Point

It certainly sounds like you guys had fun at Cedar Point despite the fact that it wasn't Disneyfied. As you know, we've been to several theme parks over the last couple of years and I always find myself comparing them to Disney. In my mind, nothing can compete. But, we do have fun and it's a nice way to spend a day away from home.

The old pirate ride building is also used during their Holloween Weekends as kids fun house. They limit is to guests under 54" and guests accompanied by those under 54". It is nice for the younger set, who are not ready for the adult haunted houses, plus the kids get candy at the end.

things I miss from Cedar Point...let see how many remember them also:

*The Pirate Ride

*The Earthquake Ride(similar to the pirate ride with the theme of San Fransisco earthquake the after scenes featured buildings on fire and dead rats flowing out a sewer pipe.

*The Giant Slide

*The Funhouse

*The JumboJet ride, rode it its last year there.

*The Mill Race

How many remember what Disaster Transport was originally?

The Dolphin show and aquarium

I also remember an Ice Cream shop there called The Gay 90's

That "dragon" has been around the point for probably over 100 years, it was moved to its current location when they built Iron Dragon.

Also, the old Pirate Ride building now is storage for halloween decorations.

Thanks for that info! :thumbsup2

It certainly sounds like you guys had fun at Cedar Point despite the fact that it wasn't Disneyfied. As you know, we've been to several theme parks over the last couple of years and I always find myself comparing them to Disney. In my mind, nothing can compete. But, we do have fun and it's a nice way to spend a day away from home.

I guess once you become a Disney snob, evrything else just doens't seem as good..even if it is. :rotfl:

The old pirate ride building is also used during their Holloween Weekends as kids fun house. They limit is to guests under 54" and guests accompanied by those under 54". It is nice for the younger set, who are not ready for the adult haunted houses, plus the kids get candy at the end.

Now that you say that, I do remember taking my DD through it a few years ago.

things I miss from Cedar Point...let see how many remember them also:

*The Pirate Ride

*The Earthquake Ride(similar to the pirate ride with the theme of San Fransisco earthquake the after scenes featured buildings on fire and dead rats flowing out a sewer pipe.

*The Giant Slide

*The Funhouse

*The JumboJet ride, rode it its last year there.

*The Mill Race

How many remember what Disaster Transport was originally?

The Dolphin show and aquarium

I also remember an Ice Cream shop there called The Gay 90's

I barely remember Earthquake....Do you remember the Rotar? I loved that...when the floor would fall out on you. I think one trip we rode it 11 times.

I can't say I remember the slide.

I lvoed the Fun House too. It was so neat...remember the old lady sitting in her rocking chair hanging upside down from the ceiling.

I can't remember jumbo jet either.

Was the mill race the same as the old shoot the rapids...or was that the other one. At one time there was a log ride at the very front of the park (that might've been millrace)and then one at the very back (before white water landing was built)

Disacaster Transport was Avalanche Run and a big flop! i think it was only that for a few years before they enclosed it. It's much better as Disaster Transport.

I did like the dolphin show, but being that I was at the thrill ride peak, I didn't go see it every trip.
I'm not sure if I remember that icecream shop or not. I know there was up near the front..Now where the tofts place is,.. I think, and my friend used to work there through College...and ironically he is Gay! :goodvibes

Do you remember the wildlife trail and I can't remember it's name for the life of me. But it was near the Corkscrew and they had tigers. and a little show bakc there too.

It was next to the miniature golf course, where Planet Snoopy is now, behind the old Earthquake/Pagoda gift shop.

Was the mill race the same as the old shoot the rapids...or was that the other one. At one time there was a log ride at the very front of the park (that might've been millrace)and then one at the very back (before white water landing was built)

Shoot the rapids was the old flume in the back, brought back as the new water flume last year. Mill Race was the flume up at the front, removed for the Raptor. The cutest boys used to work on that ride!:thumbsup2

Do you remember the wildlife trail and I can't remember it's name for the life of me. But it was near the Corkscrew and they had tigers. and a little show bakc there too.

Jungle Larry's Animal Adventure ran under the Corkscrew. They had lions, tigers, a giraffe, snakes, and all kinds of critters.

It's all about what you're used to. We spent the whole day at Animal Kingdom with DS age 4 asking when he was going to get to go on another ride. If I heard it once I heard it 30 times!

I barely remember Earthquake....Do you remember the Rotar? I loved that...when the floor would fall out on you. I think one trip we rode it 11 times.

I didnt ride it there but Geauga Lake had one, there one time since there was no one in line the attendant ran it extra long bleh

It was like 3 stories tall had about a dozen lanes and you rode down on a sack. It was over by where the Bernstein Bears ended up.

I lvoed the Fun House too. It was so neat...remember the old lady sitting in her rocking chair hanging upside down from the ceiling.

I remember the giant spider inside it

I can't remember jumbo jet either.

There is a vid of it on youtube just look for Jumbo Jet Cedar Point. I think it was there until 1978

Right the Mill Race was in the front of the park where the Raptor is now.

Disacaster Transport was Avalanche Run and a big flop!

:laughing:When it first opened as Avalanche Run we rode it the first month it was open and waited in line for over an hour to ride it yeah pretty much LAMEST ride ever. Just as it would start to get good it went through a braking zone.

Jungle Larry!!!!!! I remember when he would come on Channel 5 and show animals. Not sure if I ever saw him in person though.

The Demon Drop was one of my fav rides too. First year we rode it, they were having problems all day as we waited in line. Finally we got our turn.
Our car went to the very top, it got pushed out to drop but never dropped :eek: We waited and waited holding on. Finally after several minutes a worker came up and told is there was a problem again and they were working on it. Thing is he never bothered to come back to tell us they had it fixed. About 15 min later we just suddenly dropped! :scared1:

I also remembered when you could actually take cable car from the main park into frontier land.

Here is a Cedar Point and Disney tie in, Paul Frees the narrator for the haunted mansion did some voice overs for Cedar Point commercials:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8XJVKOe44w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v3pSXvPR7A
oh geez the 80's hair lol

This Cedar Point commercial always made me sad when I saw it..all the rides covered in snow, the approaching winter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YO_9zaZa3E

Jungle Larry's Animal Adventure ran under the Corkscrew. They had lions, tigers, a giraffe, snakes, and all kinds of critters.

It's all about what you're used to. We spent the whole day at Animal Kingdom with DS age 4 asking when he was going to get to go on another ride. If I heard it once I heard it 30 times!

Yes! That's it. It was kind of a nice break to walk through during the day.

Years ago when I took my older 2 to Disney , AK had just opened and my sone loved it...he was really not animals and not much into rides, well he could do a lot of Disney rides, but nothing big. My DD, on the ohterhand complained the whole day about how boring it was there.

I didnt ride it there but Geauga Lake had one, there one time since there was no one in line the attendant ran it extra long bleh

It was like 3 stories tall had about a dozen lanes and you rode down on a sack. It was over by where the Bernstein Bears ended up.

I remember the giant spider inside it

There is a vid of it on youtube just look for Jumbo Jet Cedar Point. I think it was there until 1978

Right the Mill Race was in the front of the park where the Raptor is now.

:laughing:When it first opened as Avalanche Run we rode it the first month it was open and waited in line for over an hour to ride it yeah pretty much LAMEST ride ever. Just as it would start to get good it went through a braking zone.

Jungle Larry!!!!!! I remember when he would come on Channel 5 and show animals. Not sure if I ever saw him in person though.

The Demon Drop was one of my fav rides too. First year we rode it, they were having problems all day as we waited in line. Finally we got our turn.
Our car went to the very top, it got pushed out to drop but never dropped :eek: We waited and waited holding on. Finally after several minutes a worker came up and told is there was a problem again and they were working on it. Thing is he never bothered to come back to tell us they had it fixed. About 15 min later we just suddenly dropped! :scared1:

I also remembered when you could actually take cable car from the main park into frontier land.

Here is a Cedar Point and Disney tie in, Paul Frees the narrator for the haunted mansion did some voice overs for Cedar Point commercials:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8XJVKOe44w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v3pSXvPR7A
oh geez the 80's hair lol

This Cedar Point commercial always made me sad when I saw it..all the rides covered in snow, the approaching winter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YO_9zaZa3E

I haven't been to Geauga lake in years as well. Sea World was still open the last time we went...then it went 6 flags and now back to Geauga again.
It's so sad to think of Sea World sitting there empty now.
I remember ALL of those commercials. What a blast from the past!
Demon Drop opened my 8th grade year, so we all had to give it a go...and of course waited for ever....and it kept breaking down all day. I don't think that ride ever had a day where it didn't break down.
I bought a Demon Drop hat as my souvenir.
We went when Avalance Run opened too...and waited forever for it. I went with my friends family and we stayed at the Green TreeMotor Lodge...which is still there under a new name. (right at the entrance of the Cause way.) I remember we all couldn't wait to ride and it were just so mad at how much of a dud it turned out to be.

And I almost forgot about the skyway from the middle of the park back to Frontier land.
I also think the Ferris Wheel has been moved about 10 times. :laughing:

In case you haven't heard, the CEO of Cedar Fair is retiring at the end of the year. His new replacement was named this week, and guess where he's from?!?

Its Matt Ouimet, the former CEO of Disneyland in CA, president at one time of DVC, and DCL.

You will have to do another TR in the next year or two to see what kind of changes he puts in place.

In case you haven't heard, the CEO of Cedar Fair is retiring at the end of the year. His new replacement was named this week, and guess where he's from?!?

Its Matt Ouimet, the former CEO of Disneyland in CA, president at one time of DVC, and DCL.

You will have to do another TR in the next year or two to see what kind of changes he puts in place.

I did read that. I wonder if anything wil lchange though. Hopefully they will clean it up a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter