• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I am hoping someone can help me. We are hoping to book at a gondola resort for our next trip. My partner’s mother uses an ECV. Is something she would be able to board safely while on the ECV? Will they be able to stop the cabin for her to board? I am not sure if she will be able to maneuver the ECV while the cabin is moving. Thank you so much for any help!
The main stations are built with secondary tracks. Certain gondolas will pull onto these tracks, come to a full stop for ECVs and wheelchairs to unload and reload and then be reintroduced into the rotation.

It would be safe to assume similar operating hours to the monorail.

I hadn't considered this. I've never had the "problem" of staying at a monorail resort and not being able to get to a park as early as I want. If they only operate starting an hour before opening, that is definitely not early enough for a DHS rope drop.

The main stations are built with secondary tracks. Certain gondolas will pull onto these tracks, come to a full stop for ECVs and wheelchairs to unload and reload and then be reintroduced into the rotation.

Thank you! Can I ask....What do you mean by the main stations? Depending on where we stay I am thinking she will be using all of the stations?

Thank you! Can I ask....What do you mean by the main stations? Depending on where we stay I am thinking she will be using all of the stations?

my understanding is that all of the terminal stations will be able to handle this (so POP/AoA, CBR, DHS, EPCOT) - the one we don't know about is Riviera as that is a pass through station

Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for clarifying @TheMaxRebo.

I'm wondering if I made a mistake booking Pop for our SWGE opening trip. I probably should have booked CBR for that but of course, that is banking on the fact that the Skyliner will be up and running then. From Pop we'll have to connect at CBR before continuing onto DHS, right?

I'm wondering if I made a mistake booking Pop for our SWGE opening trip. I probably should have booked CBR for that but of course, that is banking on the fact that the Skyliner will be up and running then. From Pop we'll have to connect at CBR before continuing onto DHS, right?
Yes.

I was watching those used at DHS last week. Have phone video but I'm sure those are everywhere.

It was very fluid how a "back" car would sit still for loading, then simply move into the line of regular dispatch. Hardly noticeable actually.

I've never seen this before - should be interesting. Typically the gondolas slow way down in the stations and can be stopped and started easily. There is not a long process for getting wheelchairs/ECVs strapped in like there is for a bus, so the load time is not much more than it would be for a normally loaded car. It would be the same process for a large, unorganized family with a stroller. Plus, you'd still need to get the gondola car back in sync with the rest of the cars. FWIW - the original gondolas would come off on to a non-powered portion of rail then be "bumped" back onto the line if you remember those.

Not saying the secondary track is not a thing - just saying it seems like more trouble than it would be worth with current gondola technology.

I don’t think having to get off at CBR and get back on the DHS line would put you at any disadvantage. We don’t know how the CBR station is laid out internally, of course, but imagining from the way Disney handles everything else, there’s probably a “merge point” where people coming from Pop, from Epcot (probably not many at park open, pre-Riviera), and entering at CBR all become equal. CBR guests wouldn’t have higher priority.

I know we don’t “know” yet but I can’t imagine them making Pop people “exit” the station and enter again where CBR guests enter. Probably signs when you get off pointing DHS one way, Epcot another, and finally “Exit to Caribbean Beach Resort.”

I've never seen this before - should be interesting. Typically the gondolas slow way down in the stations and can be stopped and started easily. There is not a long process for getting wheelchairs/ECVs strapped in like there is for a bus, so the load time is not much more than it would be for a normally loaded car. It would be the same process for a large, unorganized family with a stroller. Plus, you'd still need to get the gondola car back in sync with the rest of the cars. FWIW - the original gondolas would come off on to a non-powered portion of rail then be "bumped" back onto the line if you remember those.

Not saying the secondary track is not a thing - just saying it seems like more trouble than it would be worth with current gondola technology.

The secondary loops is a pretty unique feature of the Disney system, it's not something many other systems have. I think stopping the cars on the normal loop will be difficult since Disney is running at a pretty high capacity, the cars are going to really be bunched up in the stations.

There’s a lot more specific detail on this earlier in this very long thread, but it’s basically off-the-shelf “detachable gondola” technology, but applied in a way to offer this secondary feature.

https://www.slopeedge.net/content/behind-the-scenes-how-detachable-ski-lifts-work

Coming into the station already detaches the cabin from the main line and put it on the slower line for loading & unloading. They can optionally detach cabins from that slower line, either for maintenance or for fully-stopped loading & unloading. The loaded cabins get accelerated back to the main line when leaving the station normally, so why couldn’t that handle reentry for stopped cabins?

I was watching those used at DHS last week. Have phone video but I'm sure those are everywhere.

It was very fluid how a "back" car would sit still for loading, then simply move into the line of regular dispatch. Hardly noticeable actually.
If you have video of gondolas being moved onto the secondary track and then merged back in I know many of us would love to see this! We’ve heard it happens and seen still pictures but I’m not aware of anyone posting video. Thanks!

Disney has a higher than average number of people using scooters and wheelchairs I believe. Also, many of these people (my parents included) do not normally use scooters but need them to enjoy Disney. Allowing them to load and unload to a still gondola without feeling they’re holding others up will be comforting to them. Also, it takes them longer, especially at the beginning of a trip as they get used to using a scooter. I for one am very thankful the stations have been designed this way.

If you have video of gondolas being moved onto the secondary track and then merged back in I know many of us would love to see this! We’ve heard it happens and seen still pictures but I’m not aware of anyone posting video. Thanks!.

OK let me check on how to get it off the phone etc.

I don’t think having to get off at CBR and get back on the DHS line would put you at any disadvantage. We don’t know how the CBR station is laid out internally, of course, but imagining from the way Disney handles everything else, there’s probably a “merge point” where people coming from Pop, from Epcot (probably not many at park open, pre-Riviera), and entering at CBR all become equal. CBR guests wouldn’t have higher priority.

I know we don’t “know” yet but I can’t imagine them making Pop people “exit” the station and enter again where CBR guests enter. Probably signs when you get off pointing DHS one way, Epcot another, and finally “Exit to Caribbean Beach Resort.”
I just found a leaked photo of the layout of the CBR station walkways:

91c6f2f4ba6e69c8cb751820f1dd070b.jpg

Ok not great but you can see the "left" side (curve) cabin come through past the curve, and the next one takes the first curve-although I quite a hair to soon.

Clear enough. Basically exactly what was discussed here, as soon as one transfers on to the second loop, one on the loop transfer back. It is interesting the middle one did not advance at all. I'm guess it stays put either for a fixed amount of time or until a CM releases it. The door are also closed when it re-enters the main line.

Last edited:
Clear enough. Basically exactly what was discussed here, as soon as one transfers on to the second loop, one on the loop transfer back. It is interesting the middle one did not advice at all. I'm guess it stays put either for a fixed amount of time or until a CM releases it. The door are also closed when it re-enters the main line.

Thanks, yea i was wondering as well if the stationary cabins would never leave unless needed. Or if they occasionally just send them empty.

Ok not great but you can see the "left" side (curve) cabin come through past the curve, and the next one takes the first curve-although I quite a hair to soon.

Thank you. Interesting. Another thing I think we see here is the system’s ability to move cabins at different rates/speeds within the station to maintain timing and spacing. At the very beginning of the video the lead cabin is destined for the stationary load area and the trailing will make the turn. Notice the lead cabin moves through the standard unload zone and beyond the first turn at a pretty good clip and then slows, compared to the trailing cabin which is simultaneously moving slowly for conventional unloading. Cool stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter