Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Just because there is a patent (application in this case) didn't mean it would actually work well at all.

In this case they actually gave up on the application, likely because it wasn't commercially viable to sink not money in or it wasn't patentable.

I also never said it wouldn't work, it just wouldn't be practical. You'd likely need around 70# of ice per trip and a fan that would need power. You'd also likely want a drain system that would hold the melted water. Not to mention all the added maintenance and cleaning required.

Last edited:
I cannot get over how much people are freaking out about AC. You are not going to cook, the lines are going to be fast moving and the cabins are ventilated even though you are likely not going to be in those very long either.
I disagree, have you seen how slow those things are? They aren't fast. And what happens when you're stuck? I've been stuck on rides before, one for an hour. But at least I had A/C.

On a different note, I've been watching videos of the testing, man these things are UGLY. They look horrible, those huge poles and wires running thru EPCOT look horrible. For me the ugly factor of them is more a problem than the A/C

I disagree, have you seen how slow those things are? They aren't fast. And what happens when you're stuck? I've been stuck on rides before, one for an hour. But at least I had A/C.

On a different note, I've been watching videos of the testing, man these things are UGLY. They look horrible, those huge poles and wires running thru EPCOT look horrible. For me the ugly factor of them is more a problem than the A/C

Um, they don’t run through EPCOT at all and early photos from inside the park show that you can barely see them at all :confused3

Have you been on a modern chair lift or gondola? They are quite fast. I also agree that the whole A/C debate silly.

those huge poles and wires running thru EPCOT look horrible. For me the ugly factor of them is more a problem than the A/C
The only place you can see them inside Epcot is at the International Gateway entrance. Once actually inside the park they are totally out of sight.

I went out of my way to see them in Epcot and you pretty much can only see then on the bridge between France add UK when you're looking. Also France has gondolas, so not completely out of place.

We just got back from EPCOT. Never noticed. Not once. It doesn't run through the park. It runs behind the World Showcase. There are some limited areas you can see a few poles but literally, my family never once noticed and asked what they were. Now, driving in to DHS they cut straight across the parking lot, but again, not in the Park.

Just because there is a patent (application in this case) didn't mean it would actually work well at all.

In this case they actually gave up on the application, likely because it wasn't commercially viable to sink not money in or it wasn't patentable.

I also never said it wouldn't work, it just wouldn't be practical. You'd likely need around 70# of ice per trip and a fan that would need power. You'd also likely want a drain system that would hold the melted water. Not to mention all the added maintenance and cleaning required.

Use dry ice, More cooling/pound and no drain system needed. Cooling the cabin works via the radiator and melt gas vents out the top leaving a cool looking cloud following all the cars.

I went out of my way to see them in Epcot and you pretty much can only see then on the bridge between France add UK when you're looking. Also France has gondolas, so not completely out of place.
Yep. Chamonix in the French Alps, for one. Gondola systems have been around for decades and in much higher altitudes than what will be observed in WDW.

Am I the only one old enough to remember gondolas running literally though the middle of Disneyland and how glorious they were and how much I miss them?

So I know the topic of how security will be handled and if you will clear security before getting on the skyliner or at the parks.

based on the latest photos from at DHS, the new bag check seems to be right next to the old bag check and closer to the park entrance than the Skyliner station ... so unless they will have some path directing you to the front of the park or something, this looks to me like security will still be cleared at the park. Anyone hearing anything more definitive on this topic?

(Photo from WDWNT)

HS-2-6-19-35-1200x900.jpeg

So I know the topic of how security will be handled and if you will clear security before getting on the skyliner or at the parks.

based on the latest photos from at DHS, the new bag check seems to be right next to the old bag check and closer to the park entrance than the Skyliner station ... so unless they will have some path directing you to the front of the park or something, this looks to me like security will still be cleared at the park. Anyone hearing anything more definitive on this topic?
On my last trip to WDW I stood outside the gates at the Magic Kingdom for about an hour (waiting for a friend to arrive) and watched the traffic pattern. People coming from the bus loop would create small ripples at the bag check. First there would be no one in line then a bus load would wander up and it would be 5-10 people deep for a few min, rinse and repeat. The big swings were at the entrance gates. Lines instantly went from 10-12 people deep to dozens deep when a boat or Monorail arrived. I have to think that the Skyliner with it's steady rate of delivering guests will lead a a vastly superior overall entrance experience regardless of which end security screening takes place on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter