• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Park Tickets?

pdwimmer

DIS Veteran
We are cruising in February of next year. I have already booked a hotel and car and plan to arrive on Thursday evening for a Sunday cruise. I would like to take the kids to a Disney Park prior to cruising. My two oldest don't even remember when I took them and my two youngest have never been. Their ages are 12, 10, 6 and 4. What would be the best park to take them to given their age difference? Don't boo me but I honestly prefer Universal Adventure Island and Seaworld. So I really need advice on which Disney Park....

I so appreciate the advice! Can anyone tell me why Magic Kingdom? When I went there with the boys it was crowded, expensive, full of parents with strollers that had no problem running over myself and my kids and SUPER long lines. My youngest refused to wear shoes and we actually were reprimanded by CM even though we told them we were willing to accept responsibility for injuries. What particular attractions should we focus on there?

So sorry for all the questions. But I obviously had a horrible experience the last time I did a Disney Park and would like to get over it already!

I so appreciate the advice! Can anyone tell me why Magic Kingdom? When I went there with the boys it was crowded, expensive, full of parents with strollers that had no problem running over myself and my kids and SUPER long lines. My youngest refused to wear shoes and we actually were reprimanded by CM even though we told them we were willing to accept responsibility for injuries. What particular attractions should we focus on there?

So sorry for all the questions. But I obviously had a horrible experience the last time I did a Disney Park and would like to get over it already!

MK is the most "Disney" park to me. Epcot is a close second.

Epcot and Animal Kingdom handle crowds better, largely because they are simply bigger than the other two. Lines can be managed with FastPasses a smart plan. February lines shouldn't be too bad, unless you're going on or about President's Day. Even then, they shouldn't be horrible.

As for cost and rude parents, that's going to be exactly the same at any of the four major WDW parks.

I would recommend Animal Kingdom. Highlights include the Kilimanjaro Safaris, Finding Nemo-The Musical and Festival of the Lion King (stage show), It's Tough to be a Bug (3D movie), Expedition Everest and the Dinosaur rides. There's a character breakfast at Tusker House Restaurant. Also, the character greeting trails at Camp Minnie-Mickey provide a great opportunity to get photos and autographs.

We have three boys, ages pre-school to pre-teen, so we also need to accomodate age and height differences! While we also love Epcot and DHS, if we were doing just one park on just one day, it would probably be MK. MK has a great variety of rides and attractions that appeal to kids of different ages.

We've been to WDW multiple times with our kids since our oldest was 18 months (our annual passes just expired a few months ago) during different times of year, and we very successfully implement a policy of not waiting in line for more than 15 minutes! If you arrive at the park 1/2 hour before rope drop, and when the park opens, head straight through the castle to Fantasyland, ride all the rides (like Dumbo) that don't offer fastpass, and then start collecting fastpasses for the rides that do, you'll avoid waits. We also make an ADR for lunch at a table service restaurant for lunch so that we're sure to have an air-conditioned and relaxing but quick lunch.

If you hop over to the theme parks section of these boards, you'll see tons of tips for developing a touring strategy that will avoid waits and help you manage your time in the parks! Websites like touringplans.com can also help you to develop a plan.

I am moving this to the parks board since it is not about a DCL cruise.

MJ

Moderator, I can see why you moved. But seriously, it is in conjunction with a Disney Cruise and others post about the parks all the time. I wanted the advice of people who cruise and do the parks as well. We can have ten million posts about where to buy alcohol but not one about a Disney Park. Nice.

You will find parents, strollers, and crowds everywhere. The prices, in terms of expense, are the same at all the theme parks in the area. I know you say you prefer IOA/US and SW, but they keep their prices on par with Disney, for both admission and merchandise, so that's really not a factor.

Also, everyone is required to wear shirts and shoes in the park, no exceptions unless the child is an infant, and cannot walk. Anyone walking will be required to wear shoes. It doesn't matter how much you protest, it's a safety thing, and Disney is all about safety.

In terms of why MK is best, well, it offers the most attractions in one park, and the greatest variety. What to focus on? Well, there's so much! You didn't offer more than ages for your kids, so I'll be general ... Head straight to Fantasyland and get Fastpasses for the whole family for Peter Pan. It's not to be missed for any age. From there, it's up to you. The whole family will enjoy (Adventureland) Jungle Cruise and Pirates, (Liberty Square) Haunted Mansion, (Fantasyland) Peter Pan, Mickey's Philharmagic, and Winnie the Pooh, (Tomorrowland) Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, and the Peoplemover.

There are other, significant attractions, that some in your family may enjoy, and some may not. Adventureland has Aladdin's Magic Carpets (a dumbo style spinner), and the Tiki room. Frontierland has Country Bears (for the younger two), and Splash and Thunder Mountain (40" height limit for both - Splash is a flume ride, you may get soaked, and has a 50' drop. Also, it may be in refurb, as it often in through January and part of February. Thunder is a roller coaster, no large drops, lots of fun). Fantasyland has Small World (a must for the younger ones), Dumbo, the Carousel, and Snow White (can be scary). Tomorrowland has the Speedway (the whole family might like this, but the younger set alway does, height to ride alone is 54"), Stitch's Great Escape (dark, confined spaces, 40" height limit, the Astro Orbiter (another spinner, good for the younger set), and Space Mountain (44" height limit, wild-mouse style coaster in the dark).

Currently, Main Street Electrical is the parade running at night, and you would also be able to experience Wishes, which is typically run every night.

WDW is in a slow season for part of February, and generally things start to get busy again right before President's Day weekend. Prior to that, waits will be short ... The parks will likely be chilly (to us Floridians), if not downright cold. It's a pretty decent time to visit, actually.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter