Disney or Discovery Cove/Seaworld

arubadawn

Earning My Ears
Have the resort booked for 8/13-8/20. Now need tickets. Have been to Disney as a family 2x before. DD is 20yo and also went to Disney with friends. I went to Seaworld as a kid (not a kid for a long time!). My kids went there with their grandparents. I've always wanted to do Discovery Cove but feel like I'm going to need to make a choice between Disney or the Discovery Cove/Seaworld option. Such a tough choice as no one wants to give up Disney in spite of wanting desperately to do Discovery Cove. Has anyone made this choice before? Thoughts, tips, suggestions?

Discovery Cove. We love it, but it is an expensive day. Really depends on how often you have been to Disney or other parks and your must do's, if you take the time and money for there. The Discovery Cove tickets have options for including Sea World, Aquatica, Busch Gardens at greatly reduced rates. We've used the combo tickets and just Cove tickets.

When you consider the limited attendance, the food and drink that is included, free parking, the equipment and towels included and the beauty of the place - you feel like you are on a special island somewhere - at some certain rates the money can be totally worth it. I highly suggest if you have access to Tickets At Work or AAA you look at their rates. We have done very well via those sites. Also some great rates come up if you google for discounts and code sites send you in to Discovery Cove with discounts activated.

Given that we don't know where Disney will be with capacity, FP+, shows, fireworks etc .... may be the year to try something new without missing Disney too much.

Have the resort booked for 8/13-8/20. Now need tickets. Have been to Disney as a family 2x before. DD is 20yo and also went to Disney with friends. I went to Seaworld as a kid (not a kid for a long time!). My kids went there with their grandparents. I've always wanted to do Discovery Cove but feel like I'm going to need to make a choice between Disney or the Discovery Cove/Seaworld option. Such a tough choice as no one wants to give up Disney in spite of wanting desperately to do Discovery Cove. Has anyone made this choice before? Thoughts, tips, suggestions?

It is nearly always most cost-effective to stick with one park "family". We go to FL every couple of years and have been loosely rotating through the parks. Our last FL trip we bought the DC package tickets (on a really good black Friday sale), so we did SW and Aquatica a couple of times each, Discovery Cove, then went to the Gulf Coast for our last couple of nights and did Busch Gardens (you could also day trip to BG). It was a great trip - my kids still say that DC is their favorite of all the parks. Obviously very different type of experience overall, but given the circumstances this year, might be a good time to skip Disney and try something different!

They are both great options. Some things to consider about SeaWorld - it's a great "chill" park. Sometimes planning for Disney can be overwhelming, less so admittedly these days because of lack of FastPasses. While there is some strategy for SW, it's a lot easier just to wander around and enjoy. SW has some great and intense coasters that Disney admittedly doesn't have, so if you or your daughter are into that it's something worth considering. But what I personally love about SW is the animals and shows. The shows are nice because you can just sit in the shade and enjoy something without waiting on an hour long line. This is important especially if you are going in August. It's usually one of the busiest and hottest times in the theme parks. Lines are going to be long everywhere. But the shows are great because you can show up 15 minutes (maybe 30 minutes early that time of year) and just sit and wait, then enjoy the show. Remember it's also really rainy that time of year, so sitting under a covering is a perfect way to spend the day if you don't want to get wet!

The animals are great because you can literally just sit and watch them for as long as you like. Unlike Pirates of the Caribbean or Haunted Mansion, they will always be doing something slightly different. This is why I also like Animal Kingdom.

I say at least seriously consider SW. It's something different and you can beat the crowds a bit. If I was you, I would try to figure out the showtimes and what other rides you might be interested in and make a loose plan about what you want to do when. If you are interested in any of the coasters or water rides, try doing them first thing in the morning to beat the crowds and the weather (storms usually roll in around 2-4pm that time of year). Save some of the shows for the afternoon or later in the day, although remember they can also be affected by storms.

We just got back from Discovery Cove/Sea World/Aquatica at the end of March. We got an amazing deal at Discovery Cove. I would consider doing the Busch Gardens add on as well as the other two. It really isn't far away and then you get free parking at all the resorts.
We loved Discovery Cove for all the reasons mentioned above. We liked Sea World and Aquatica, but they were crazy busy. We had no problems doing everything we wanted at both by arriving at opening. For the first couple of hours, everything was about walk on. Seasame Street Land was a mess, but my kids didn't really miss it and yours wouldn't be interested anyway. Arrive to the shows about 45 minutes before. Doing those things made it worth it...also, eat before. Many of the food venues were closed and they really push the unlimited plan, so lines were 40+ people pretty much the whole day.
We spent 2 full days at Sea World, 3 partial days at Aquatica, and of course Discovery Cove and really enjoyed them!

Forgot to say you can also call and add an unlimited park pass for $25 total.

SeaWorld and Discovery Cove are both a lot of fun. You can book tickets for both plus Busch Gardens together and get all the parks for a good price.

I understand your pain in needing to decide. We have done lots of trips that were mostly non-Disney (love love the SeaWorld family of parks and think you would really have a nice trip with that), but even though it's not an economical cost per day option, I usually ended up forking over for one expensive one day Magic Kingdom ticket for the true Disney diehards for our last day -- too tough for them do be in Orlando and not do something Disney.

To make this a reality and stick to budget, I economized in other areas -- frequent flyer miles for some airfares, good deal on offsite accommodations, shorter trip, more basic food options, etc. And just the one Disney day allowed my Disney diehards who love SeaWorld and their family of parks also to be very satisfied with the trip and have a Disney fix.

I am an avid FL springs snorkeler so my opinion will be heavily skewed. I would choose Discovery Cove for the sheer limit in capacity and the inclusive amenities. But, I can drive there in about an hour and would not really be a planned vacation like yours.

You have enough days to do one WDW park per day and still have time left over for a day at Discovery Cove. Plus an arrival and departure “recovery” day. If any WDW park isn’t that necessary, schedule a day at Seaworld or Busch Gardens. You might not have to choose between WDW and elsewhere. Do it all!

We are doing Discovery Cove this summer for the first time. The price for DC (w/ dolphin swim), along with Sea World, Busch, and Aquatica was a great deal as we bought through the Black Friday sale.

WDW ticket prices have become astronomical (close to 3x what we paid for DC combo), and IMO aren’t worth it with the current reduced experience. I would say try something new.

My two cents...

Do both! Having been to DC a few times, one being during Covid in October, and have another day scheduled this August, I would say, yes, very much go to DC! It is like you are on a cruise and have been dropped off at their private island for the day, seriously. It is more expensive than just a regular theme park, but really only if you do the dolphin swim, that adds $$$. I have been a few times and have never done the dolphin swim and have no plans on doing the dolphin swim. It’s not needed to have an awesome day. And don’t get the extra days to SW, etc. Yes, it’s not that much of an add-on, but it IS an add-on. You don’t need it. We got the SW add-on in October and ended up not using it....We did get a cabana as a splurge because I wanted to be away from other people as much as possible with Covid lol, and that was awesome! Getting one again for August.
And don’t forget, food and beer/wine, is included...

My kids are sooooo excited to go back in August. I am also thinking about doing the boo bash, if tickets are not crazy expensive (We are family of six). We are going for two weeks end of August and just doing Universal, DC, hanging out at the rental house, and maybe the boo bash..

My suggestion....Do DC, and pick a day or two in Disney. You didn’t say which resort you are at, but you can hang out there rest of time in pools, etc.. I am over doing a park everyday, it’s too much lol.

Also, if you do decide to do DC, try to book early in your week...if there is bad weather forecasted, they allow you to change the date once no charge...

Joining the thread as I have the same conundrum. I can get (February 2022) the dolphin swim package at DC and tickets to Seaworld package for 717 (three people). Good deal? Seems pretty fair. I know I could wait for Black Friday sales, but the week we are traveling there are only 3 days on the calendar for Discovery Cove that they are open, and it is winter break, so I'm worried the dates will get booked before the sale. Thanks for any input!

Last edited:

Crazy, I am going the same week and had the same dilema. We chose the Discovery Cove package (with SeaWorld and Aquatica). Looking at Disney pricing and them not being fully operational yet, just didnt make sense. When they are 100% reopened, we will go back to Disney. We have been to both plenty of times, usually add 3 days outside of Disney for DC/SW/AQ, then spend 8 days in Disney. Even with us going so many times, it never gets boring! DC is wonderful! You wont regret it. For this trip, we will go to Animal Kingdom one day and Im really really really hoping by August they will have added MNSSHP (wishful thinking) or some other MK evening event. If not, there is plenty to do in Orlando at night!

Crazy, I am going the same week and had the same dilema. We chose the Discovery Cove package (with SeaWorld and Aquatica). Looking at Disney pricing and them not being fully operational yet, just didnt make sense. When they are 100% reopened, we will go back to Disney. We have been to both plenty of times, usually add 3 days outside of Disney for DC/SW/AQ, then spend 8 days in Disney. Even with us going so many times, it never gets boring! DC is wonderful! You wont regret it. For this trip, we will go to Animal Kingdom one day and Im really really really hoping by August they will have added MNSSHP (wishful thinking) or some other MK evening event. If not, there is plenty to do in Orlando at night!
We went and booked DC and SeaWorld for February vacation. Dd is 9 and is so excited for the dolphin swim. Sea world is also so much more laid back. Have you done infinity falls? That was closed last time we went.

Have you done infinity falls? That was closed last time we went.
YES!!! 2019! Amazing. So fun. The line was ridiculously long, so we only went on it once. This time I smartened up and bought quick queue for the rides. Since Im saving $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ by not going to Disney for the week, we are upgrading everything we can with the DC package. I got a cabana at DC and AQ and reserved the whale watch lunch at SW.

YES!!! 2019! Amazing. So fun. The line was ridiculously long, so we only went on it once. This time I smartened up and bought quick queue for the rides. Since Im saving $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ by not going to Disney for the week, we are upgrading everything we can with the DC package. I got a cabana at DC and AQ and reserved the whale watch lunch at SW.
How is the drop? The biggest drop I've done is Splash and Journey to Atlantis--I can't take much more than that!

Last February 2020 when we were there Infinity Falls was closed. I wonder what would happen if we got quick queues for it and it was closed--refund?

How is the drop? The biggest drop I've done is Splash and Journey to Atlantis--I can't take much more than that!
The drop on Infinity Falls is not that big. It isn't really even as big as your average log flume. Smaller than Journey to Atlantis. It's just not a common thing on that type of ride. The ride itself has several elements that I had never seen/rode before on a raft ride, which were really unique and enjoyable. Man, the line was long standby - we purchased one day of dirt cheap Quick Queues on Black Friday and with them we rode Infinity Falls 3x in a row midday while the standby line was about 90min in 93+ degree heat. It was great!

The add-on to SW is a great deal if you'll use it. I recently got back from a DC/SW/BG trip - did DC on Saturday (because crowds don't exist), and spread out 2 days at BG, one day Aquatica, and 4 days SW. (I snuck in a few afternoons at Universal, too :) ). Was nice not to rush getting stuff done, especially because of the blazing unrelenting sun and 90+ weather all week...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter