Disney on blood thinners

TikiMan0228

Mouseketeer
Hi. I just had my 2nd episode of afib in 5 years and they decided to put me on blood thinners until my 3 month follow up. Problem is I have a trip planned in 3 weeks. Dr says there are no issues but I would love to hear from fellow Dis members who may be in the same situation. I am not a super thrill junkie but I suppose rides like Star Tours with the jerking back and forth give me the most concern. Any words of advice? Thanks!!

24 days!!!!

That is so good to hear. I will know in Oct if I will be a lifer. If it can save my life then so be it. Thank you!!!
The crazy part about it, was that when they said she had to be on it forever, she was upset, but i was relieved...I guess I wasn't confident in the "you PROBABLY" will be OK answers we were getting

I went to Disney 4 days after a blood clot was discovered so I was injecting blood thinners twice a day. Had NO restrictions.

Open heart surgery (and no, not elderly) and now a pacemaker. I even had internal hemorrhaging from a blood thinner a few months after coming home from rehab. I know a bit about blood thinners. Only advice I'd offer is to not wear sandals to theme parks. Closed toe shoes would be the safest. You just never know what you could step on in a crowded environment. Have a great time!

Last edited:
I'm a lifer here, on warfarin for the last 15 years or so. The only thing I avoid is Rockin Roller Coaster because I've found with thin blood if I ride a coaster that goes upside down or otherwise has a gravitational pull it feels like blood is pooling in my legs and I get a little dizzy. Tower of Terror can give a little tingly feeling in the extremities but it's okay, no biggie. I have never done Mission Space but I think I would avoid that one just because of the gravitational effects but of course it is your call. If you're worried about bruises from getting jerked around on rides, etc., it happens. I'm usually bruised somewhere just from everyday life but nothing I've gotten at Disney has compared to the bruises on my rear from falling in my own bathroom. :)

Been on one for many years and have many trips under my belt. Never even thought about it being an issue. I bruise really easy but that is pretty normal for me and WDW does not really increase that at all. Follow your doctors advice.

Use common sense to protect your head from major blows, especially. Like, don't overdo the alcohol and get falling down drunk, be careful on slippery surfaces or diving in water, always wear your seat belt, etc. - at home or on vacation.

Yes, definitely be careful about hitting your head.

I'll be honest, I'm pooh-sized and I came home with a nice array of bruises: A huge one on my shin where I hit it on the side of the Peter Pan ride vehicle, one on my hip from hitting it on the "handle" on the ToT seat, a few on my knees where they bumped the back of the seat and across my chest from the Test Track seat belt. It's pretty par for the course for me to have bruises, home or away!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter