Disney+ News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh. I really don't want them to bring in that character.

My gut is saying she's just going to play a generic Skrull, as I feel the MCU may like to cast the Skrulls with British accents

EDIT: And I just realized that Ben Mendelsohn (Talos) was Australian, so I guess I'd have to say the Skrulls may go with a foreign accent (not specifically British). I think both new castings will end up being Skrull characters

Last edited:
My gut is saying she's just going to play a generic Skrull, as I feel the MCU may like to cast the Skrulls with British accents

EDIT: And I just realized that Ben Mendelsohn (Talos) was Australian, so I guess I'd have to say the Skrulls may go with a foreign accent (not specifically British). I think both new castings will end up being Skrull characters

I jsut don't like the way SWORD is used in the comics. They've never really known what to do with them and they are heavily tied to the reviled X-Men. The WandaVision version was much better!

I jsut don't like the way SWORD is used in the comics. They've never really known what to do with them and they are heavily tied to the reviled X-Men. The WandaVision version was much better!

I agree 100%. I really think Joss Whedon just had the cool concept and acronym for the SWORD idea 1st, and then filled in the blanks later. It worked for his X-Men run, but since then there hasn't been a good use or fit for the organization.

I do liken the MCU as a spiritual successor to Marvel's early 'Ultimate' stuff ... take what works from years of convoluted continuity, re-tool and modernize. If they actually bring Brand into the MCU, I have confidence that they'll re-tool the character to make sense and fit with the better MCU SWORD. I never would have though they would introduce the certain Cap/Winter Soldier cameo last week (cheesy villain in my opinion) ... but Marvel may actually have managed to gain my interest

I do get concerned that if the MCU ends up introducing comics characters just for the heck of it ... then things could end up becoming a mess just like the Ultimate comics line or many other comics that have to eventually get rebooted. So far Kevin Feige and his group have earned my trust and their plans.

For folks not familiar with the Marvel Ultimate line and their influence on the MCU, below is one of the better (and long) articles ... note I think it's got some NSFW language

https://www.vulture.com/2015/05/secret-history-of-ultimate-marvel.html

I agree 100%. I really think Joss Whedon just had the cool concept and acronym for the SWORD idea 1st, and then filled in the blanks later. It worked for his X-Men run, but since then there hasn't been a good use or fit for the organization.

I do liken the MCU as a spiritual successor to Marvel's early 'Ultimate' stuff ... take what works from years of convoluted continuity, re-tool and modernize. If they actually bring Brand into the MCU, I have confidence that they'll re-tool the character to make sense and fit with the better MCU SWORD. I never would have though they would introduce the certain Cap/Winter Soldier cameo last week (cheesy villain in my opinion) ... but Marvel may actually have managed to gain my interest

I do get concerned that if the MCU ends up introducing comics characters just for the heck of it ... then things could end up becoming a mess just like the Ultimate comics line or many other comics that have to eventually get rebooted. So far Kevin Feige and his group have earned my trust and their plans.

For folks not familiar with the Marvel Ultimate line and their influence on the MCU, below is one of the better (and long) articles ... note I think it's got some NSFW language

https://www.vulture.com/2015/05/secret-history-of-ultimate-marvel.html

Man, you are preaching about comics! I never really go into the Ultimate line, but I do agree that the MCU pretty much does a better version of, well, everything. They seem to have this way of taking what works and accentuating it to overpower what doesn't, while at the same time not forgetting the comic book roots or worrying about something being too silly or weird. I love how they embrace it!

For me, there are a lot of comics that I jsut didn't like over the past 20 years, things like Civil War for one. The comic just never made sense and was overly dark and ruined some charactes. I was very worried when the MCU did it, but they basically did everything opposite of the comic and made it so much better!

SWORD was a good idea, but it never gelled. It should have had more ties to something established - Abigail Brand was an unknown character and she was just so unlikeable! Nodoby ever really cared what happened to her, which is why they have constantly pivoted and changed SWORD in the comics over the years. It just floundered and for good reason.

I remain warily optimistic about this one, but I'm not sure yet.

Honestly, as much as people bag on the Eddie Murphy one, I watched it recently and it's really not that bad. It's not great or anything, but it's decently fun and has a lot more stuff from the ride than I remember. I don't think they should play it as such a straight comedy though. It should be more of an adventure with some comedic elements, as opposed to a comedy with some adventure.

I remain warily optimistic about this one, but I'm not sure yet.

Honestly, as much as people bag on the Eddie Murphy one, I watched it recently and it's really not that bad. It's not great or anything, but it's decently fun and has a lot more stuff from the ride than I remember. I don't think they should play it as such a straight comedy though. It should be more of an adventure with some comedic elements, as opposed to a comedy with some adventure.

I’m very curious as to what direction this movie will go. I wasn’t really interested in the Eddie Murphy version, to be honest, either. I guess we’ll know sooner or later!

I really wanted to see what Guillermo del Toro could do. He's wanted to make a Haunted Mansion movie for ages.

Oh yeah! Guillermo has like a room in his house devoted to the Haunted Mansion! He loves Disneyland too - I remember seeing where Ryan Gosling blew off some Oscar festivities to hang out with Del Toro at Disneyland - I would too! There is no doubt in my mind that he would totally "get" the Haunted Mansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter