Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

https://deadline.com/2023/07/disney-destination-d23-event-dates-schedule-panels-2023-1235431491/

Disney Announces Schedule, Panels & Dates For 2023 Destination D23 Event At Walt Disney World
By Tom Tapp
Deputy Managing Editor
July 6, 2023 6:53pm PDT

Disney has announced the dates and schedule for what it terms “the Biggest Disney Fan Event of the year,” Destination D23, which will take place from Friday, September 8 through Sunday, September 10, at Disney’s Contemporary Resort at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando.

The event, tied to the company’s 100th anniversary this year and presented to members of its D23 fan club, promises a “journey through every era of Disney, as we venture back through the last century of storytelling and look forward to a limitless future for the company.”

Among the promised highlights are:

• Presentations from Disney archivists, historians, Imagineers, cast members, animators and luminaries—including Disney Legends Bill Farmer and Don Hahn; the voice actors behind some of Disney’s most iconic characters, Bret Iwan, Kaitlyn Robrock, and Ashley Eckstein; Disney on Broadway’s own Genie, Michael James Scott from Aladdin; and many more—in two days of programming worthy of the first century of Disney—and beyond!
  • A presentation from Disney Parks, Experiences and Products Chairman Josh D’Amaro about what makes a Disney experience so magical and memorable for guests and fans around the world.
  • A conversation with Disney Legend Don Hahn and Director of the Walt Disney Archives Becky Cline and learn about Walt Disney’s Journey to join his brother Roy in California, and the earliest days of The Walt Disney Company—from the Disney Brothers Cartoon Studio to the Alice Comedies, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit and, of course, everyone’s favorite mouse.
  • A catch up with the voice actors behind fan-favorite Disney characters, including Bret Iwan (Mickey Mouse), Kaitlyn Robrock (Minnie Mouse), and Disney Legend Bill Farmer (Pluto, Goofy), and join them for a “table read” of iconic scenes from 100 years of Disney history.
  • 100 years of “weird Disney” moments from the Walt Disney Archives
  • See the “Disney you didn’t know,” as the Walt Disney Archives uncovers some of the most astonishing Disney discoveries, connections, and little-known facts that will change everything—or at least some things—you thought you knew about the Disney universe.
  • Celebrate 100 years of Walt Disney Animation Studios with legendary animators and guests, and get a sneak peek at their highly-anticipated upcoming feature film, Wish.
  • A 60 Years of Disney’s Audio-Animatronics Technology Exhibit in which The Walt Disney Archives and Walt Disney Imagineering join creative forces for a special exhibition at Destination D23 to celebrate the history of Audio-Animatronics technology. This exclusive exhibit will showcase the evolution of the art and its related technology through a diverse showcase of rare figural assets, photography, and vintage ephemera and documentation all in the name of celebrating key moments from Walt’s earliest inspirations and development to modern-day marvels.
Tickets for the event are already sold out, but some presentations will be live streamed.
We'll be there! I am hopeful there will be some Roger Rabbit merch, at least, since there doesn't seem to be a panel about it.

FYI
Hawaii & Noodles have a delayed opening of 8/15 the four new booths also have delayed openings TBD (but I assume the 15th as well)
We'll be there! I am hopeful there will be some Roger Rabbit merch, at least, since there doesn't seem to be a panel about it.
They do have a 35th anniversary ornament that got released over the weekend

Word is Moana Journey of Water walkthrough will open later this month.

The Imagination Pavillion is actually part of World Celebration - it will connect better once Communicore Plaza is complete.

View attachment 775272
Can someone who knows point out/circle where Moana Journey of Water is on this map?

And maybe put in where walls will still be up once Moana opens?
I’m just trying to picture it in my head.

Haven’t been to the parks since 2019 and not super familiar with EP, but EP will be a main focus on our next trip and I just want to know as much as possible.
Thanks!

Supposedly today or one day next week is Merida last day in the garden before moving to the Gazebo behind the Christmas Shop in Liberty Square

Can someone who knows point out/circle where Moana Journey of Water is on this map?

And maybe put in where walls will still be up once Moana opens?
I’m just trying to picture it in my head.

Haven’t been to the parks since 2019 and not super familiar with EP, but EP will be a main focus on our next trip and I just want to know as much as possible.
Thanks!
Colored in where it is based on the old map

IMG_1198.jpeg

Also here’s this image showing the full layout of the upcoming Communicore area in general

IMG_1200.jpeg

Colored in where it is based on the old map

View attachment 775951

Also here’s this image showing the full layout of the upcoming Communicore area in general

View attachment 775952
Thanks.
That’s easier to picture what to expect.

So the area around the buildings that are labeled Mickey & Friends, Communicore Hall and Communicore Plaza are what will remain walled off once Moana opens up?

I think the Moana area will be beautiful and can’t wait to see it.
It might not eat up crowds but it should be quite stunning.
And hopefully cool as well if there are mists from the water features.

I'm still not getting my hopes up for a great experience from a walk-through.
As DLP is my "local", I like a lot of their themed walk throughs as it kills time whilst entertaining you, so it doesn't make you feel like you're killing time.
Journey of Water sounds like a great themed walkthrough, with the edutainment aspact of old Epcot (it's more about the water cycle than Moana as it is inspired by Moana). Also, considering what used to be there pre-2019, Journey of Water sounds like a great improvement

As DLP is my "local", I like a lot of their themed walk throughs as it kills time whilst entertaining you, so it doesn't make you feel like you're killing time.
Journey of Water sounds like a great themed walkthrough, with the edutainment aspact of old Epcot (it's more about the water cycle than Moana as it is inspired by Moana). Also, considering what used to be there pre-2019, Journey of Water sounds like a great improvement
I am so looking forward to it. Will bring a nice nature experience to Epcot. Can't wait to see TeFiti in person.

And yes I am also excited for the walls to come down... been a couple of trips with them in place now and will be nice to have it back open.

I'm still not getting my hopes up for a great experience from a walk-through.
It can be quite good.
We though the Alice walk-through in particular was really well done, and we enjoyed it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter