Disney MagicMobile Service is Here!

If they are doing it via a pass that you add to your apple wallet, it sounds like you'll have to bring that up to use it each time. While that's no problem when paying for something via Apple Pay, I don't know if I want to be scrambling for that pass every time I need to do something in the parks. The magic band was just always there and if you got the puck holders that attached to your watch band, you didn't have to wear two things.

Having another option people can use will be great, but when it comes to things like this, most people will chose the option that requires the least amount of effort.

Spot on. That's what went into my mind as I read it. While the watch works okay when in the grocery or something, I have to unlock it first, and make sure the right thing is selected when charging. If I could just hold my watch up to the mickey and it turns green reliably like my MB does, then great. I'm all for it. But if I am going to have to scramble to unlock my watch, find the app, bring it up and then scan, it won't be so good.

My biggest fear though is not me, but the other 600 people in line in front of me who do not know the first thing about how to operate their watch. If I have to wait while each of these people tried to figure it out while a Disney CM is peaking over their shoulder explaining to them how to use the device, that is going to get very old, very fast.

If you have ever been to the grocery behind someone trying to use apple pay for the first time, you know what I am talking about.

My biggest fear though is not me, but the other 600 people in line in front of me who do not know the first thing about how to operate their watch. If I have to wait while each of these people tried to figure it out while a Disney CM is peaking over their shoulder explaining to them how to use the device, that is going to get very old, very fast.

If you have ever been to the grocery behind someone trying to use apple pay for the first time, you know what I am talking about.

Literally what I was thinking is the only downside to this. Immediately thought of all the folks who have Apple Watches just because “everyone” has them but who use less than 1% of the functionality on a daily basis and have no idea how it works (eg. my Mom, bless her). That’s going to be fun.

But I’ve been dying for this ever since I got one several years ago, and I hate the puck holders because I think they look dumb and take away the best part of the MB to me, which is the actual band. If only Disney started to make watch bands in the MB styles (I know ppl sell them on Etsy but...ugh, Etsy). I will still use my MB just because I love the designs but it’s nice to have options, and it’s much easier than whipping the phone out. Battery life is also not at all an issue with watches, at least if you have a 6.

I really don’t understand the complaints about drains on phone battery though. There’s Anker ones on Amazon for a song that are no bigger than a lipstick tube and will give you a full charge and then some. I have several in different sizes and never worry about battery life when I’m out in the parks.

I love the convenience of MBs. But if they can figure out something that works just as easy (very skeptical about that) then I'm all for it. For so many people, MBs became a disposable item after their vacation. So much tech and plastic waste!

Disney makes too much off MB sales to get rid of them completely. It will be nice to have the option to switch between the 2.

I might be in the minority, but I hate MBs. Don't get me wrong, I like the functionality they offer. But...I'm not comfortable wearing a MB and my Apple Watch (for obvious reasons) so then I'm using my phone way more than I'd like to when it would be much more convenient to use my watch. As a large family, we've also accumulated SO many MBs over the years which seems like such a waste. I'm excited for the option to use my Apple Watch as an alternative as long as the functionality is there and Disney IT gets the technology right.

My only concern with older children is, I'm assuming there will come a day where my almost 12 year old will want to split up and do an attraction or two on her on. This is especially true as my second oldest daughter approaches her teen years & they can head off together. I'm not certain yet whether they'll have their own cell phones at that age. So then what? This is also a concern with my 75 year old mom who often travels with us, often ventures out on her own in the parks and still has a flip phone. Hopefully, MBs will remain an option for the foreseeable future for those that are less tech savvy or not old enough to have their own smart device. For the rest of us, it will be nice to have another option.

03GirlsMom: That's what I'm talking about. Will it be set up now where the parent can tap their phone for the whole family (to get in the park or fastpass line)? That would seem to be too chaotic.

While I don't hate it (but plan on using my magic band for as long as I can), I wonder how this will work with parents of younger children, such as myself.

While I don't hate it (but plan on using my magic band for as long as I can), I wonder how this will work with parents of younger children, such as myself.
I'm sure thats one of many things they are still trying to work out.
Similar issue if they bring back FPs

So if I'm a family of 5 and my wife and I tap into the parks with our phones, what do our kids do? I assume they still need a band or card? And when fastpasses open back up the same thing?
I'm wondering the same thing

the thing I dislike about this, is that we will be traveling from Canada, I've heard wifi at Disney is very unreliable, to add a US data package to our phones for length of stay is VERY expensive (our phone plans are a joke compared to what you guys get in the states) and you get very little data, so that worries me!
Inferring from the info provided:
It doesn't sound like you need "live access" to MDX to use the features.
You would do a one-time download of a file into your device (do that at home) and that file in your device would be the key to use the WDW features.
After all, a MB does not have/require a "data package" to work.

Inferring from the info provided:
It doesn't sound like you need "live access" to MDX to use the features.
You would do a one-time download of a file into your device (do that at home) and that file in your device would be the key to use the WDW features.
After all, a MB does not have/require a "data package" to work.
yes but if I'm not mistaken you need the MDE app as well throughout the day to order food and secure boarding passes/fast passes if they ever come back, check wait times etc

yes but if I'm not mistaken you need the MDE app as well throughout the day to
order food and secure boarding passes
/fast passes if they ever come back, check wait times etc
Those are not features of MBs now, either.
I thought we were discussing the future/pending substitution of phone features in the absence of MBs.

Seems like if you don’t use your phone, you could still use the hard plastic ticket or MB.

so exactly what do we use mb's for? can we make a list actually?
room entry at resort
enter parks
dining charges
merch charges
magic express boarding and fast passes are and will be obsolete in that order..
what else can we list?

magic express boarding and fast passes are and will be obsolete in that order..
what else can we list?
I would not consider Fast Passes to be "obsolete."
They are "not currently in use" at the present time.

I don't mind enabling an app/feature on my phone while I'm on vacation, but in general I don't like ANY "big brother" influence.

If it functions as well as a magic band I'm for it. I don't like the Disney handcuff (Magic Band). It's a necessary evil that has done wonderful things but I still don't like having it on my wrist all the time.

Dan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter