• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney has put us in a bit of a pickle

MamaBelle4

DIS Veteran
Well, the title really says a lot about the situation we are in. Our original plans were:
12/4- DHS
12/5 - Epcot (with extended evening hours)
12/6 - Resort day
12/7 - MK (with extended evening hours)
12/8 - AK (with a tour booked for 8 people)
12/9 - MK as our last day.

The problem is that Disney "announced" last week that on 12/4 they are closing DHS early and not showing Fantasmic for some sort of an event. If it was just my family going, bummer but I'd live even though Fantasmic is my favorite night time show on property.

But it's not. My best friend and are family are going and it's likely a one and done trip for them. I'm obviously going to talk to her about it but I already know what she's going to say: "You know what you're doing, whatever you think is best."

So what would you do? Would you switch out 12/4 and 12/9 so you can see Fantasmic or leave it as is or some other switch? I don't want to have our Resort day first, as we need a break halfway through. Both 12/4 and 12/9 are Christmas party days. We traditionally like to have MK be our last day, but I don't know which is more important, you know?

I assume that you are not getting park hopper tickets. If that is the case, then yes, switch those two days.
Yeah, we don't do park hoppers.
One thing to consider, if you can go without seeing Fantasmic, I'm guessing HS could be a lot less crowded on 12/4 as many people will rearrange their schedules to not be there on the day it closes early.
That's true. It's currently predicted to be a 7/10. My best friend has a little girl who will be turning 4 in January. I don't know if she'll love Fantasmic or be overwhelmed by everything and she might be really tired by the end of the week (who isn't!).

I’ve never seen it and I’ve been an AP holder for years. Somehow I manage. ;)

I’ve never seen it and I’ve been an AP holder for years. Somehow I manage. ;)
I didn't see it the last time we were there because it wasn't back yet.

Thank you for reading my thread. I understand it's not an essential thing, but nothing at Disney is. I'm just trying to maximize the experience for my friend. But, yeah, thanks for your reply.

I wouldn’t switch my day just for Fantasmic either. I think the show is fine, but not worth switching all your plans for. It’s so much work to get those ADR’s.

We watched it when my children were younger, but it was never a must do for our family. We always chose the Star Wars show over Fantasmic. We are still debating now whether we will watch it on our upcoming trip or ride another ride instead.

Also your week looks jam-packed full of late nights and special tours! So I don’t think it’ll be a big deal at all if they miss it. And I’m just like you and try to end my trip with Magic Kingdom. There’s just something special about once last look at the castle and walking down Main Street!

And I’m just like you and try to end my trip with Magic Kingdom. There’s just something special about once last look at the castle and walking down Main Street!
Yeah - that's definitely hard to part with!

They only reason I'm considering it at all is because the only ADR we have is on Saturday. Otherwise it would absolutely be out of the question with the size of our group, we wouldn't be able to switch any ADRs at all!

What are the ages of the kids involved?

I'm just not sure it's worthwhile re-arranging the schedule for night time entertainment when there are little kids involved (who might not even make it to EEH, to be honest). And the party day crowds on 12/9 will be awesome for the end of the trip.

What are the ages of the kids involved?

I'm just not sure it's worthwhile re-arranging the schedule for night time entertainment when there are little kids involved (who might not even make it to EEH, to be honest). And the party day crowds on 12/9 will be awesome for the end of the trip.
I'm leaving my kids out because we go every other year. Her kids are 14, 11 and almost 4. If she needs to take the little one back to the hotel, I expect the older two will stay with us. The 11 year old seems to be the most excited.

$588 - $609, it’s a $21 difference in ticket cost to add a 6th day.

For your resort day, maybe you could just pop in to HS for a few hours that evening?

Where are you staying? Could sleep in that day, maybe hit your resort pool in the afternoon, then maybe grab dinner around the Epcot resort area and then boat over to HS. A slower pace still, though not quite as relaxing as chilling at resort all day.

I might switch HS and Epcot. I've heard that for many the extended hours at Epcot aren't all that-a lot of things close. I'm sure different people have different experiences, but I'm not sure extended Epcot hours are as valuable as extended hours in other parks might be.

$588 - $609, it’s a $21 difference in ticket cost to add a 6th day.

For your resort day, maybe you could just pop in to HS for a few hours that evening?

Where are you staying? Could sleep in that day, maybe hit your resort pool in the afternoon, then maybe grab dinner around the Epcot resort area and then boat over to HS. A slower pace still, though not quite as relaxing as chilling at resort all day.
That would be a perfect solution (and I didn't even think of checking that!) but they're using the day I have down as a resort day to visit a family member they've not seen in years and are really looking forward to that.

Well, the title really says a lot about the situation we are in. Our original plans were:
12/4- DHS
12/5 - Epcot (with extended evening hours)
12/6 - Resort day
12/7 - MK (with extended evening hours)
12/8 - AK (with a tour booked for 8 people)
12/9 - MK as our last day.

The problem is that Disney "announced" last week that on 12/4 they are closing DHS early and not showing Fantasmic for some sort of an event. If it was just my family going, bummer but I'd live even though Fantasmic is my favorite night time show on property.

But it's not. My best friend and are family are going and it's likely a one and done trip for them. I'm obviously going to talk to her about it but I already know what she's going to say: "You know what you're doing, whatever you think is best."

So what would you do? Would you switch out 12/4 and 12/9 so you can see Fantasmic or leave it as is or some other switch? I don't want to have our Resort day first, as we need a break halfway through. Both 12/4 and 12/9 are Christmas party days. We traditionally like to have MK be our last day, but I don't know which is more important, you know?
If they are both party days you would leave the MK early either way. Since the other family is doing the big hurrah ... might be cool for them to finish off the trip with Fantasmic! instead of just leaving the park while others file in. Be like the dessert of the trip, especially if you combine it with a Fantasmic Dining Package.

I might switch HS and Epcot. I've heard that for many the extended hours at Epcot aren't all that-a lot of things close. I'm sure different people have different experiences, but I'm not sure extended Epcot hours are as valuable as extended hours in other parks might be.
With most of the world showcase closing, I can totally see that. It'd be nice if they'd offer it at DHS instead!

In addition to the normal MK and EP late hours, Dec 15 and 22 have HS added those weeks. I wish they’d make that permanent and start next week :laughing:

Unless you're extremely attached to the extended evening hours at Epcot (which are very hit or miss considering how tempermental ratatouille, frozen ever after and test track are), it might be worthwhile to swap the DHS and Epcot day.

I would probably rearrange the schedule, especially if the 4 year old is a big Moana fan like a lot of kids her age. We don't know much about the new segments, but as its one of the only opportunities for any Moana anywhere at the park, it may be worth it for her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter