Disney has priced us out.

Oh it completely depends on the child. My little autistic kindergartner was a wreck for a month after missing toe weeks. Messed him up. Meltdowns. Poor thing. I'd love to take him out again but it seems unfair to put him through that just for vacation. And it happens every vacation due to change in routine. Just worse even he misses school and feels out of sorts when he comes back.

Oh it completely depends on the child. My little autistic kindergartner was a wreck for a month after missing toe weeks. Messed him up. Meltdowns. Poor thing. I'd love to take him out again but it seems unfair to put him through that just for vacation. And it happens every vacation due to change in routine. Just worse even he misses school and feels out of sorts when he comes back.

Thank you for giving a different point of view.

Sent from my IPad using DisBoards.

Yes high school teacher here. Pulling a student out of high school for several days/week is extremely stressful for all involved. How does it end? With the teacher (me last week after Canadian March break) reteaching entire lessons after school...

Especially if a student is in an advance, signature or IB program... Missing one day is like missing a week. Missing a week is almost like missing a month - it moves so fast.

We are are almost paying for a 4 day what we paid for a 7 day 5 years ago. We have decided this will be our last cruise for awhile. I understand the rising cost but it is just getting out of out budget. I just wish we could continue paying the prices.

I think Disney has spoiled us. I personally am not a fan of Carnival and Royal Caribbean just has ships too large for us. Disney seems like the perfect cruise for our family.

Kindergarten? My son is in High School and missed a week for our Fantasy cruise last Dec. He is an honor roll student and handled it well, but I would NOT recommend that for most people. But, there is no way that I would let Kindergarten stop me from saving $1000's on a cruise. Just my opinion. Sent from my IPad using DisBoards.

If you live in Texas, there are actually truancy laws that prevent you from taking a certain number of days out of public school each year.

If you live in Texas, there are actually truancy laws that prevent you from taking a certain number of days out of public school each year.

Same thing for my county in Maryland. A zeros for every missed assignment and test is almost impossible to recover from.

Same thing for my county in Maryland. A zeros for every missed assignment and test is almost impossible to recover from.

Sometimes you can get teachers to work with you with enough notice. They should be able to put a 'z' into edline if you work it out with them. But they're not required to do so.

We are are almost paying for a 4 day what we paid for a 7 day 5 years ago. We have decided this will be our last cruise for awhile. I understand the rising cost but it is just getting out of out budget. I just wish we could continue paying the prices.

I think Disney has spoiled us. I personally am not a fan of Carnival and Royal Caribbean just has ships too large for us. Disney seems like the perfect cruise for our family.

Royal Caribbean has ships of all sizes. Some are smaller than the Magic and Wonder. Some are just slightly (about 6%) larger.

I had a dummy date booked that I changed to a Western on the Fantasy. I went ahead and paid the deposit and will hold onto it for a while, but will most likely end up letting it go because the price was nearly $2000 more than what I paid for our Eastern last summer in the same month/room category. My boys will be just as happy on RCCL, I will be the one who misses the Disney magic!

I did the same thing and almost had a heart attack when I saw the quote. We went on the Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy in Dec 2012; the dummy date that I changed to June 2015 is DOUBLE the amount of what we paid for the Eastern on the Fantasy. Same room category. Same amount of people. How can that be possible? Doubt we will keep the booking. :(

I currently have Spring Break 2015 booked on the Fantasy (which I changed from NYE this year and it was slightly more!). But I have to change that one because DH said if we goto WDW during Thanksgiving then no Spring Break cruise in 2015. I started checking the summer rates and almost had a heart attack! I would love to do a 7 day on the Fantasy (the only ship we have not been on) but I can't justify the price since we are going to the Western Caribbean this spring break and we've done the Eastern a few times. DS and DD want a virtual porthole cabin and the Aquaduck. May have to go back on the Dream and do a double dip instead. :confused3

We haven't sailed on Disney (or any cruise for that matter) since 2011. And that was the kids sail free Mex Riv. We can't even entertain the thought of a Disney cruise plus airfare from Az for 4. Its the cost of a used car (which we need) or a years worth of tuition at our state university for dd in 2 years. Maybe if we had small kids and those things were years off but they are looming and we cannot pay $7000-$10,000 for a weeks vacation.

I guess I should add, before someone points it out, that we just got back from Aulani and that was a budget vacation costing us under $3000 for the week including airfare.

How did you get Aulani for that price? I was thinking of going there instead of a cruise at some point.

Unfortunately, when I click on your link, I don't see the chart. Do you have it in some other form or another link? I'm very interested in seeing it. Thanks!

That's weird it works for me. The link I posted is to the main "2015 Sail Dates" thread http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3093717 , page 99 post #1484. The price chart is all the way at the bottom of the post (it's not a separate link, but what looks like a JPEG scan of the original brochure?).

How did you get Aulani for that price? I was thinking of going there instead of a cruise at some point.

I'd love to know too. Just airfare alone would cost close to $3k for my family.

We have also let the hold go on the Jul 10th 12 night European cruise. We are from the UK and for a cat 11b if was £3,782 for 2 adults and we wouldn't have airfare to go on that as it was going from Dover. Sometimes it's not even about affording it, it's about justifying it and even these two hardcore Disney fans cannot justify it!

Our 2 weeks in September at Saratoga Springs and obviously airfare to get us across the Atlantic hasn't cost that. Also the next place we want to visit is Japan and we can get airfare and 15 night hotel stays for around £300 less then the cruise. It quickly became a no brainer for us!

RCL also have a 7 night Baltics cruise on Serenade of the Seas next June going from Copenhagen for £1,200 for BOTH of us. 2 return flights to Copenhagen will only cost me £150 and whilst I understand it's 5 nights less then the DCL one and there won't be the Disney difference on RCL, the price difference is huge - £2,482! This way I can do Japan, Baltics and still visit the US later in the year!

Kindergarten? My son is in High School and missed a week for our Fantasy cruise last Dec. He is an honor roll student and handled it well, but I would NOT recommend that for most people. But, there is no way that I would let Kindergarten stop me from saving $1000's on a cruise. Just my opinion.

Sent from my IPad using DisBoards.

She will already be missing a couple of weeks to visit family. Personally I don't think it's a good idea to miss school. And where we are you only get a certain amount of excused absences.

I would agree. There's no real penalty for elementary school kids who miss a week - we know plenty of families that take kids out for a month for travel to their home country. Middle school is a challenge. But as soon as they start taking graduation credit level classes (some in middle school, some wait until high school) - then you've got a real issue.

Our school district/elementary school does not allow for a month off! And all of the families I know who travel back to their home countries are winding it up this year and making other plans starting next year - either traveling during the summer (not always pleasant, depending on where you're going) or having family come here.

Yes high school teacher here. Pulling a student out of high school for several days/week is extremely stressful for all involved. How does it end? With the teacher (me last week after Canadian March break) reteaching entire lessons after school...

Thanks for a voice of reason. I don't think how well your child does in school is really the point. Guess I'm in the minority since I'm not even comfortable with having to take her out for a week (the other is a holiday week).

Our school district/elementary school does not allow for a month off! And all of the families I know who travel back to their home countries are winding it up this year and making other plans starting next year - either traveling during the summer (not always pleasant, depending on where you're going) or having family come here.

I should clarify - ours doesn't allow it either. But it happens.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter