Disney Genie coming to Walt Disney World planning

Status
Not open for further replies.
If/when they sell more FPs I think they will take away from the pool already there to make people buy them.

It's going to be very interesting how Disney chooses to implement paid Fastpasses.

Clearly Fastpasses will need to come from somewhere (presuming they are already maxing out availability), so would it be from the pre-selection pool or the same day availability pool? (I personally believe both existing pools will be reduced - and you thought some Fastpasses were impossible to get at 60 days now? The future may be bleak.)

We know they have been playing games with reducing capacity on various rides to save on labor costs; would they ratchet up capacity in order to increase the pool and offer more Fastpass availability?

And I'm convinced paid options will be offered through the Genie as an instant redemption, with corresponding variable pricing to boot. That $100 per instant Fastpass may not look so steep when it's the middle of the afternoon, it's hotter than hell, your two kids are crying, and you're just putting it on your credit card anyway.

I don't see this not replacing MDE. Namely because, who reasonably expects their customers to use (2) different apps to enjoy a vacation?

Secondly, if you guys thought MDE was bad before... I can't imagine Disney is going to work harder to make MDE better when ol' Genie is the next app up.

Of course, who knows. This is just thinking out loud.

I don't see this not replacing MDE. Namely because, who reasonably expects their customers to use (2) different apps to enjoy a vacation?

Secondly, if you guys thought MDE was bad before... I can't imagine Disney is going to work harder to make MDE better when ol' Genie is the next app up.

Of course, who knows. This is just thinking out loud.

Completely agreed. I can't see how they would use two separate apps...and "Genie" is better branding overall, anyway.

But hey, the Genie will be able to grant you all sorts of wishes (ahem, upsale options).

Never say never. If they want to sell more FPs, then you need more room in the day to sell more.

That's hard to do when they are already charging more for extra early entry and after hours events..... which are already squeezing the hours that "normal" guest have access.

Once there were some attractions that were always a walk on, even when the parks were busy. Last trip hall of President's had a line outside the door?

The optimistic side of me wants to believe this is the first step in developing a better app that will eventually replace MDE with improved functionality and features.

In reality I think the Genie was developed because Disney has made the planning process so complicated with ticketing, ADRs, FP+, EMH, EMM, DAH, MNSSHP, MVMCP, BBB, dessert parties, special tours, etc that inexperienced planners (and the Disney call center) will be grateful for the automated help. The Genie will also be yet another way to conveniently recommend/promote all the special ticketed events and expensive add on items🙄

I wonder if we'll ever be able to book a resort reservation through either MDE or Genie. I always mention it when we get stopped by the survey teams around property.

It won't replace it right away just because they have millions of people already used to MDE and using it. They won't want to throw a monkey wrench into that data stream. So at the start it will be a complimentary app that will link to MDE. Eventually they'll be merged. Whether that's in 2022 or 2030 who knows.

I personally would like Disney to allow me to schedule overlapping FP windows. Few weeks ago, I would rope drop an attraction or two, hit up my first fast pass (9-10am), then the second right after (10-11) and then I would be in a window of 30ish minutes before my next FP window hits assuming I got a FP from 11-12.

I'd like to layer them so I can get to refreshing faster.

Did you know after you use one you can go in and try to change the second for an earlier time?

I feel like this is less about trip planning based on an individual family’s needs and wants, and more about Disney trying to spread out and control crowds. Could be wrong.

For me it seems like disney way to help get more people onsite and fill up the onsite hotels. Going make it easier to book, allow people to put more of a personalized stamp on it, for some it will eliminate a TA but bottom line it sure looks like a way to fill up their rooms.

When I read this I felt like I was on spaceship earth at the end? Anyone else?

I just want to plan my own darn trip. I want to eat when I want. Sleep when I want and be left alone. If I can’t get a dinner reservation for a time I want I’ll eat somewhere else. I really don’t need an app to plan out my vacation for me. Now if it want to plan out the first time, one time visitors to spread out crap ads and make it easier for me to navigate. Have at it.

This is a tool aimed at the first timers, at the occasional visitor, but not at the seasoned pros we have on Disboards. We only have to adapt to the results of this.
Now that this news is released, I think we in Disneyland Paris got a bit of a test round for one of the Genie features, in the app when you select 'rides', you can filter on 'rides with less than 30 mins'. I don't think the US parks apps have this? It is basically a way to say 'you don't want to wait in line, go here', to spread the crowds better.

I wonder how much Disney will be taking from other parks. Here in NL our biggest theme park has in their app a feature to alert you when a waiting time drops down to a certain amount of minutes.

It's an interesting idea, but I doubt that we would use it. We've never been ones to use crowd calendars or touring plan apps. I might check MDE for wait times, or to see how long until dinner, but that's about it. We prefer to slow down once RD is over and our FP+ are used up. I don't think we would enjoy mapping our plans in that much detail.

This is a tool aimed at the first timers, at the occasional visitor, but not at the seasoned pros we have on Disboards. We only have to adapt to the results of this.
I think this is true. And, maybe it will work well for these folks. The unfortunate thing is that while Disney could actually do something that really improves the experience for the average person, or the majority of people, it might actually make things worse for those of us who do plan ahead. For instance, if they really did spread around everyone "well" in the park, it might make the average visitor's experience a lot better, but take away the ability of us "planners" to exploit inefficiencies that let us get shorter lines when we know where/when to go.

And, of course, if there is a way to make $ on this, Disney will find a way to do it...

I feel like this is less about trip planning based on an individual family’s needs and wants, and more about Disney trying to spread out and control crowds. Could be wrong.
The Fast Pass system was made to control crowds, and it’s awesome for us.

I’m sure this is the case here too, great for Disney, great for us.

This is a tool aimed at the first timers, at the occasional visitor, but not at the seasoned pros we have on Disboards.

Yep and I think it’s great.

We have such a better experience at the parks than those who have no idea what’s going on.

They will enjoy the parks more now, which is great for everybody.

It's worth a try. If it saves time with planning I'm for it.

I do not under any circumstances want to backtrack through the park. Even if a ride has a shorter wait it's not worth the effort of backtracking. If the Disney Genie doesn't take this into account I won't be a fan. Hopefully, you can override those circumstances and the Disney Genie will come up with other options to use that will be better.

In the end it may replace MDE. I can't see IT wanting to do both. If Disney Genie has everything MDE has and more then MDE will go bye bye after all the kinks are worked out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter