Disney Fantasy -- Mechanical Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckeye218

Gold Castaway Club Member
From Disneycruiseline blog...The Disney Fantasy is having mechanical difficulties...port engine not operational.

They are steaming directly from their last port to Port Canaveral and skipping Castaway Cay tomorrow.

Passengers getting 20% off future cruise + $200 OB credit.

We're on the sailing scheduled for Saturday.

We are preparing ourselves for disappointment and not sailing.
Depends on the issue. Could be something like a piston which would take a few hours to change out. Or could be a bearing or who knows. If its a hardware malfunction, then with any luck they can have the spare part and maintenance crew ready to go at first dock. Maybe even a delayed departure. If it is electrical it might be a bit more difficult to nail down the cause.

Maybe they could explain that the power of the dark side was too much for the ship... It is a Star Wars cruise after all. Hope you get to sail without issue!

To me the first post makes it sound like the ship will be returning to PC on Friday. That will give them an extra day to do the needed work (I Think) and be ready to go on Saturday. Maybe DCL is giving everyone a day at WDW.

Depends on the issue. Could be something like a piston which would take a few hours to change out. Or could be a bearing or who knows. If its a hardware malfunction, then with any luck they can have the spare part and maintenance crew ready to go at first dock. Maybe even a delayed departure. If it is electrical it might be a bit more difficult to nail down the cause.

Maybe they could explain that the power of the dark side was too much for the ship... It is a Star Wars cruise after all. Hope you get to sail without issue!
Thats narrows it down.

To me the first post makes it sound like the ship will be returning to PC on Friday. That will give them an extra day to do the needed work (I Think) and be ready to go on Saturday. Maybe DCL is giving everyone a day at WDW.
The Fantasy is currently off the coast of the Turks & Caicos Islands. Unlikely she would be back in PC early enough to get the passengers a port day.

The Fantasy is currently off the coast of the Turks & Caicos Islands. Unlikely she would be back in PC early enough to get the passengers a port day.
Not to mention that the Dream will also be in berth that day offloading passengers and gearing up for the three day. Based on the schedule of ships in port there will a terminal available if needed.

Agree. At best you're looking at a middle of the night arrival into PC to allow them more time to work on it.

It could be something small, and may be nothing to worry about. Or it could be something that happened to us twice, on the Celebrity Infinity Hawaii sailings. The azipod (propulsion) stopped working and she had to be dry docked for six weeks, for repair. It was so heartbreaking. It happened to a NCL Ship in October.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2015/10/articles/power-loss-1/azipod-failure-on-norwegian-star/

If I had to guess, its not the diesels. Its the electric drive motor that's having the issue. Theres 2 sets of engines on the ships. There are 5 diesel gensets which create the electricity for the ships needs. All of the power is funneled into a distribution box which is like a big circuit breaker box. Then there are 2 electric drive motors which actually turn the shafts and props. This is me, but I'm pretty sure that the port drive motor is whats causing the problem. You can take any of the 5 gensets off line for what ever reason and the ship would never know it and the guests would never know it either. The drive motors are different stories.

Except cruise contract you sign gives DCL to change itinerary or skip any port for any reason. I would be pleased with 20 % off next cruise and $ 200 OBC but yet disappointed for missing CC. I would however appreciate the extra sea day. Luck to all of you sailing Saturday, hope it is a quick repair I am sure the master mechanic on board has diagnosed the problem and they are preparing for repair.

I'm onboard now. We will be returning Saturday. My dining room server said we might be a little late into Port Canaveral on Saturday- we are not sailing at full capacity (as the captain told us earlier today). I'm totally bummed about missing CC but it happens.

Watching this! We are scheduled a week from Saturday...hope it is fixed! We missed CC last year on the Wonder...happened upon a boat with 7 Cubsn men, had to wait three hours for the coast guard and missed our weather window...seas got too rough. It happens but was really looking forward to this year!

We're scheduled to cruise on the 20th, so I'm watching those closely. Hoping for a quick resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter