Disney Entitlement is transferring onto the roads now too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Atlanta, GA.

The city where the speed limit is only a suggestion and everyone drives like maniacs and think they are more important than the other folks on the road.

Oh wait - you were talking about Orlando. Sounds like it's the same way there. :rotfl:

Wait, I thought that was only how people drive in Tennessee?????

No offence intended. I love visiting Tennessee. However the people there give a whole new meaning to driving with the flow of traffic.

I am from LI and this sounds pretty typical to me! Actually I think I may have gained a couple of points of my driving test for tailgaiting effectively ;)

tourists tend to drive too slow, so it is more likely that this was someone who knew the roads well enough that he could tailgate and not miss his exit.
who knows, the guy just might have been late for his shift at WoD ;)

personally, i agree with others: i would rather move over to avoid a tailgater than expend any energy thinking about them :)

Little did I realize that on all my 20 trips to Myrtle Beach on I-95 that I was surrounded by DISers with feelings of entitlement.

Bill From PA

OMG, total off topic, but we live just miles from each other and got back 2 weeks ago today.
Hello from Route 309 South.
party:

Sounds like a normal day on I95 or the NJ turnpike . Sorry but I don't think Disney is the reason this driver was a pain.

Welcome to Atlanta, GA.

The city where the speed limit is only a suggestion and everyone drives like maniacs and think they are more important than the other folks on the road.

Oh wait - you were talking about Orlando. Sounds like it's the same way there. :rotfl:

I don't know what a jerk tailgating you has to do with Disney as people drive like idiots everywhere.One thing I've seen is that in some places some driving tendencies are more notable than in other places,for example when I've been in Atlanta I noticed that expressway traffic was moving at rush hour at about 80 mph with the highway jam packed with everyone basically tailgating each other.I'm in South Florida where you'll see every possible idiotic driving move multiple times a day.The tailgating in Atlanta did however creep me out because that doesn't go on in South Florida,our drivers are just not skilled enough to do that you have more of a combination of people doing 50 mph and staying put on the left lane and BMWs zipping past everyone at 90 mph changing lanes constantly,there's no organization people just do their own thing and you have to figure it out as you share the road.Another reason why our Florida drivers are nowhere near as good as the ones I saw in Atlanta are that we crash on ground streets constantly on grid like straight streets,Atlanta has winding roads,hills and trees all over,believe me if we moved our drivers to Atlanta it would be disaster.Orlando has similar traffic to South Florida but you add the tourists adding another danger to the regular dangerous moves people pull.Again I don't really know what an idiot tailgating has to do with Disney but I do agree if you're in the left lane and people are behind you just move over,tailgating you or not.

I so wish we had the traffic that Orlando has in Washington state between Olympia and Seattle (actually Canada). I feel like driving in orlando is like driving on a country road compared to I-5 and I've done close to 15 trips with drives between Tampa and Cocoa Beach.

I so wish we had the traffic that Orlando has in Washington state between Olympia and Seattle (actually Canada). I feel like driving in orlando is like driving on a country road compared to I-5 and I've done close to 15 trips with drives between Tampa and Cocoa Beach.
I hear ya. I will never, ever forget all my drives betweeen Snohomish and Seattle...OMG!! Who knew there was traffic like that out there???

Never tap your brakes, it is too dangerous. Just hit your emergency flashers. Does the same thing without endangering you and your family.

Never tap your brakes, it is too dangerous. Just hit your emergency flashers. Does the same thing without endangering you and your family.

Doesn't that just indicate that you have a problem with your car? Which means you should be in the far *right* lane, or perhaps not on the highway at all, of course.

I think everyone is being a bit too touchy the Disney was brought into the conversation. The fact is that with the OP's intentions, the tailgater was out of line. The OP was moving out to the left to avoid slower traffic that was anticipated ahead due to the Disney exits. Sure, the tailgater didn't know the OP's intentions, but they should have relaxed and not tailgated so close that they could have killed someone.

Road Rage is so common these days and you can see that type of behavior everywhere, including Disney.

Everyone have a nice day! Life is too precious to get all worked up about someone like the SUV driver......

Look at me.... I am feeling a warm and fuzzy today....... lol

Duds

I think everyone is being a bit too touchy the Disney was brought into the conversation.

I think people are saying it is a s-t-r-e-t-c-h to try and tie this incident of bad driving (which can happen anywhere in the country) with what some people have termed "The Disney Entitlement" - - -

People are saying this has nothing to do with Disney and are questioning the OP trying to tie it to WDW.

I think people are saying it is a s-t-r-e-t-c-h to try and tie this incident of bad driving (which can happen anywhere in the country) with what some people have termed "The Disney Entitlement" - - -

People are saying this has nothing to do with Disney and are questioning the OP trying to tie it to WDW.

I totally understand that....... this is a Disney board so OP is equating it to Disney..... no big deal in the end either way.....

Agreed it happens everywhere and is equally annoying in Minnesota or Florida....

Ok, how about we phrase it this way??? The OP was there, in the area of that most happiest of places in the world, when someone came along and ruined the magic for him. Hah!!! Made it about Disney.

Any way.....perhaps, just perhaps, the OP didn't have as much room as he thought he had when he moved in front of that SUV. Maybe, just maybe, the SUV driver was surprised since maybe, just maybe, he had been adjusting his AC, so didn't notice the OP moving in front of him...and he got annoyed. So, maybe he figured he would 'show' the OP....jumped behind him and tailgated. Yep, that sure showed 'im didn't it??!!!

All in all...the OP should have just moved over, back into the middle lane. He said, in the original post, that there were no cars in front of the SUV, in that middle lane, so the SUV had no need to move over and tailgate. So, why couldn't he, the OP, have just moved over into the empty lane??? Or, if it was so empty, why didn't he wait until the SUV had passed him and then moved into that lane behind him???
Ah!! See...many different scenarios that I can imagine. There is fault all around.
Have a magical day!!!

Doesn't that just indicate that you have a problem with your car? Which means you should be in the far *right* lane, or perhaps not on the highway at all, of course.
HA! I did not make myself clear, I did not mean leave them on, just hit them for a second and turn off. Lights up your brake lights just like hitting the brakes only safer.

HA! I did not make myself clear, I did not mean leave them on, just hit them for a second and turn off. Lights up your brake lights just like hitting the brakes only safer.

Aha. That makes more sense.

Though I know that for myself, if I'm being followed closely at a high rate of speed, the last thing I want to do is make things complicated in my car by finding the rarely used flashers and clicking them on and off! But that's just me, and I almost never get in the passing lane anyway.

I think it's a real stretch to say they feel entitled to drive this way because of their Disney ticket. I would have just moved to another lane and let them pass. I drive home from work on a 2 lane road. I generally get in the left lane, it's 35 mph but most people drive 50. Many times people think I'm driving too slow at 50 and jump over into the right lane and then back in front of me. There was an SUV the other night that kept jumping between the lanes trying to get ahead of everyone. When we got to the light where I turn left, he was in front of me. So all that jumping around didn't do him much good.

Now this is scary since a two lane road only has one lane for each direction.:scared1:

:laughing:

Sort of off topic, but I drive a smaller car with a small engine. Although my engine is small I tend to drive "quickly" when in the fast lane. Please keep right if you are not going fast! I will never understand why someone in a large V8 engine, sports car will drive in the fast lane going the speed limit?

FYI - I do not tailgate, that is just stupid. If I am being tailgated I move to the right as far as possible and slow down. The tailgater will move on!

How is this "entitlement"? How is this related to Disney?

You were in the left lane, and NOT going faster than the person behind you. This happens all the time, when someone is in the left lane but going slower than the person behind them.

Since one isn't supposed to pass on the right, it's generally up to the slower person to move out of the left lane, let the speed demon pass, and then move back into the left lane.

By not moving out of that lane, YOU were putting yourself into far more danger than you could have been in. Both of you guys, IMO, were responsible. There's no chance in heck I'd let someone tailgate me at 70. I would move OUT of his way.
just got around to coming back to this thread.. did you not read my thread.. he came behind me and was riding my bumper. He didn't go into the left lane to pass anyone, there was no one to pass at that moment. He did it to ride my butt since I went in front of him. I can understand going in the left lane, but not on someones bumper. I was doing 70 in a 65, what do you want me to do? 75 and get a ticket to make the jerk behind me happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter