Disney Enchantment Discussion & Reviews Thread (Premiering 9/30)

That explains the small crowd. Looking forward to see what the media thought.
I know my opinion. At best its a one and done.

Tim Tracker got an invite and said it had no moments that made him emotional, where HEA always did. Going to be interesting how other people invited thought.

It’s HEA with a worse soundtrack (significantly worse IMO). The beats are exactly the same, just different IP highlighted. HEA was a big hit for me, this fell really flat.

Also, I like Moana; it’s a good movie with some catchy songs. But you’d think Moana was Walt’s creation that spurred a media and theme park behemoth from the shine that movie is getting in these new shows.

Really sorry, but in this context, what does "IP" stand for?

I can't decide if I'm sad or happy that I seem to be the only person who likes it. I don't like that everyone's disappointed (and completely understand everyone's point of view) and wish they'd come up with something that ticked all the boxes for everyone.

On the other hand, I also feel like it might just be me, sitting on the ground in the hub, watching by myself when I'm finally able to come back and that's...not the worst thought in the world :rotfl:

I can't decide if I'm sad or happy that I seem to be the only person who likes it. I don't like that everyone's disappointed (and completely understand everyone's point of view) and wish they'd come up with something that ticked all the boxes for everyone.

On the other hand, I also feel like it might just be me, sitting on the ground in the hub, watching by myself when I'm finally able to come back and that's...not the worst thought in the world :rotfl:

Honestly--- I think the majority of people are just .... confused/shocked- I didnt like it (thought the fireworks were nice), but I am in the "shocked" category... shocked at the fact that there is absolutely no real nostalgia present. No Walt, No Mickey... no fab four... hardly any classics represented... (Via rides/movies) --- really, just baffled.

Honestly--- I think the majority of people are just .... confused/shocked- I didnt like it (thought the fireworks were nice), but I am in the "shocked" category... shocked at the fact that there is absolutely no real nostalgia present. No Walt, No Mickey... no fab four... hardly any classics represented... (Via rides/movies) --- really, just baffled.

Shocked and confused are good words for how I am feeling. I am sitting here reading everyone’s post and trying to come up with a way to express what I am feeling. I think I am shocked that I am not feeling any Disney-esque emotions. No warm fuzzies. No ready to make my Wish Come True or go grab my Happily Ever After. I didn’t even get emotional when Tink flew and I always cry when she flies. But maybe that’s because I almost missed it.

I didn’t even get emotional when Tink flew and I always cry when she flies. But maybe that’s because I almost missed it.
What appears to have happened (on the Disney Parks Blog show) is that the TV director (calling the shots in the production truck) almost missed it.
Either a camera was not framed correctly, or the correct camera simply was not punched up when Tink began her flight. We didn't get to see her until pretty late in her flight.

What appears to have happened (on the Disney Parks Blog show) is that the TV director (calling the shots in the production truck) almost missed it.
Either a camera was not framed correctly, or the correct camera simply was not punched up when Tink began her flight. We didn't get to see her until pretty late in her flight.

It's like they just throw Tink flying at a random moment, that everyone was caught off guard...

You are so spot on. I'm totally into the Disney nostalgia, and would have loved seeing it for the 50th.
But I also have young daughters, 8 and 5, and THEIR Disney is Princess and the Frog, Moana, Frozen, Coco, etc. As much as I try, the classics don't capture their hearts like they did mine.
This show is not for my generation, I would have personally preferred something different, but I'm sure my girls will LOVE Enchantment (and they wouldn't care for the nostalgia that most of us here long for).

I think it's pretty clear that Disney can't milk Gen X, Boomer, and elder Millennial nostalgia for too much longer. I once went dressed up as Annette Funicello for MNSSHP. (I'm Gen X, so it was a bit of a dip into even before MY time when I did that, and the ony people who recognized me were baby Boomers. On the business end, Disney has to work on their upcoming generation of nostalgic park goers.

I think thing to remember is that Disney's next batch of primary park goers (the people who are going to book trips) are the oldest Gen Zs and the absolute youngest millennials. For them, Frozen IS nostalgia. Princess and the Frog IS nostalgic. The kids who remember those movies as being a big part of their childhoods are the ones who in a very short time will be taking their kids. Or will they? D

I've seen quotes from Disney leadership and from Imagineers who have talked about the vision for WDW's future, and none of it is rooted in nostalgia. It's all very motion-based. Where are we going? What's NEXT? In light of the pandemic, this is the theme. I've picked up on it in both Harmonious and Enchantment. There was almost a reference to lives lost with a line about "the people you've loved along the way" that put it in a context that very much would fit the experience of a person who has been through hell since their last Disney trip (raises hand; lost 2nd brother in this pandemic.)

So I just dropped 10 grand on my first Disney trip in ages, and somehow, even the good memories are blue orbs now. (I'm referencing Inside Out here.) When I go to Oga's, it's going to be SO hard not to think of how much my brother and I were so excited to go there together, and now we never will. When I ride Small World,it is going to be SO hard to not feel wistful about the fact that my daughter has gone off to college and this is our first visit without her.

Those same Disney themes that have carried us all through the years are not going to hit the same for SO many people. So the message I picked up from Harmonious and Enchantment is: where now? What next? How far will I go? When I ask myself repeatedly, "Why am I taking this trip? This is so much money and so much has changed. How will I feel the magic????" THIS is what this show is about. I am the magic, and I am the magic long after this trip ends.

I know some of us from older generations love the nostalgia, and there is a time and place for that, and this being unprecedented times makes it difficult to be nostalgic AND hopeful. I think Disney went with eyes toward the future.

I'm not saying I love it. I'm a HUGE sucker for Disney nostalgia. MY childhood was all about being a dirt poor kid who took refuge every Sunday night in watching Wonderful World of Disney while my mom combed my hair so I could go straight to bed after because I had school in the morning. I remember seeing the Polynesian and Walt and dreaming of going there. Those old movies (Escape to Witch Mountain, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, I'm ALL about that era.

Idk, I think I would personally LOVE a fireworks show with Mary Blair projected on the castle, lol. But Idk that that translates to the upcoming generations.

It's like they just throw Tink flying at a random moment, that everyone was caught off guard...
The camera work from Disney Parks was pretty bad both last night and for Enchantment, lot of movement and screen switches. It's like they had a stop watch, ok we've been on that camera for 3 seconds switch!

You are so spot on. I'm totally into the Disney nostalgia, and would have loved seeing it for the 50th.
But I also have young daughters, 8 and 5, and THEIR Disney is Princess and the Frog, Moana, Frozen, Coco, etc. As much as I try, the classics don't capture their hearts like they did mine.
This show is not for my generation, I would have personally preferred something different, but I'm sure my girls will LOVE Enchantment (and they wouldn't care for the nostalgia that most of us here long for).
The funny thing is, they're not the ones that pay for it... :)

And I think this take is a little short sighted, my kids are 9 & 10 now, they know the classics just as well as the new movies.

To summarize in one word……MEH.
Better than harmonious, but not a really high bar.
Agree with what many pp on the boards have said. Didn’t feel any emotions from this show.
Somebody posted a link to the DL “Remember…Dreams Come True” fireworks from 2017. That was 1,000 times better. Oh well.

I think it's pretty clear that Disney can't milk Gen X, Boomer, and elder Millennial nostalgia for too much longer. I once went dressed up as Annette Funicello for MNSSHP. (I'm Gen X, so it was a bit of a dip into even before MY time when I did that, and the ony people who recognized me were baby Boomers. On the business end, Disney has to work on their upcoming generation of nostalgic park goers.

I think thing to remember is that Disney's next batch of primary park goers (the people who are going to book trips) are the oldest Gen Zs and the absolute youngest millennials. For them, Frozen IS nostalgia. Princess and the Frog IS nostalgic. The kids who remember those movies as being a big part of their childhoods are the ones who in a very short time will be taking their kids. Or will they? D

I've seen quotes from Disney leadership and from Imagineers who have talked about the vision for WDW's future, and none of it is rooted in nostalgia. It's all very motion-based. Where are we going? What's NEXT? In light of the pandemic, this is the theme. I've picked up on it in both Harmonious and Enchantment. There was almost a reference to lives lost with a line about "the people you've loved along the way" that put it in a context that very much would fit the experience of a person who has been through hell since their last Disney trip (raises hand; lost 2nd brother in this pandemic.)

So I just dropped 10 grand on my first Disney trip in ages, and somehow, even the good memories are blue orbs now. (I'm referencing Inside Out here.) When I go to Oga's, it's going to be SO hard not to think of how much my brother and I were so excited to go there together, and now we never will. When I ride Small World,it is going to be SO hard to not feel wistful about the fact that my daughter has gone off to college and this is our first visit without her.

Those same Disney themes that have carried us all through the years are not going to hit the same for SO many people. So the message I picked up from Harmonious and Enchantment is: where now? What next? How far will I go? When I ask myself repeatedly, "Why am I taking this trip? This is so much money and so much has changed. How will I feel the magic????" THIS is what this show is about. I am the magic, and I am the magic long after this trip ends.

I know some of us from older generations love the nostalgia, and there is a time and place for that, and this being unprecedented times makes it difficult to be nostalgic AND hopeful. I think Disney went with eyes toward the future.

I'm not saying I love it. I'm a HUGE sucker for Disney nostalgia. MY childhood was all about being a dirt poor kid who took refuge every Sunday night in watching Wonderful World of Disney while my mom combed my hair so I could go straight to bed after because I had school in the morning. I remember seeing the Polynesian and Walt and dreaming of going there. Those old movies (Escape to Witch Mountain, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, I'm ALL about that era.

Idk, I think I would personally LOVE a fireworks show with Mary Blair projected on the castle, lol. But Idk that that translates to the upcoming generations.
If “I am the magic”, I don’t need to go to WDW to find it then, right? It’s a ridiculously dumb approach. You want people to come to Disney because of some pull, attraction, magic it has, because of how it makes you feel, because of what you’ve experienced there with loved ones. That’s what this show should have captured- what Disney means and has meant to all of us. They missed a HUGE opportunity to take what the last year and a half has done to us to have a message of hope, unity. At the best times, at the worst times, disney unites us with that feeling of togetherness, belonging, hope, caring for our fellow man. The light after the darkness, the hope for our future. How Disney has done that for 50 years and will be there through it all for the next 50. There’s the theme.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter