Disney+ Disney IT=Yikes

pahoben

DIS Veteran
I have the maximum internet speed available at my location. I made a bad decision and paid for a year of Disney+ thinking how happy my daughters would be watching their favorite movies. In practice they have been able to watch a frozen (frozen not Frozen) screen 90% of the time while the stream buffers. I tell them-hey lets switch to Netflix so you can watch Free Rein for the thousandth time or Pup Academy for the 2000th time. Netflix is then (as always) perfect with no buffering. It is sad that Disney never seems to get it right with IT. I would have thought that with their fine catalogue of movies they would have bothered themselves to provide near state of the streaming technology but my expectation was misguided.

Is Goofy in charge of IT?

Last edited:
I have the maximum internet speed available at my location. I made a bad decision and paid for a year of Disney+ thinking how happy my daughters would be watching their favorite movies. In practice they have been able to watch a frozen (frozen not Frozen) screen 90% of the time while the stream buffers. I tell them-hey lets switch to Netflix so you can watch Free Rein for the thousandth time or Pup Academy for the 2000th time. Netflix is then (as always) perfect with no buffering. It is sad that Disney never seems to get it right with IT. I would have thought that with their fine catalogue of movies they would have bothered themselves to provide near state of the streaming technology but my expectation was misguided.

I have the Disney+ app on our Roku device. More often than not, I have to restart my Roku in order for the D+ app to actually play a video, so I totally know what you mean. Not sure how your app is installed, but if it's a device that can be restarted, give it a shot and see if it helps.

I have the Disney+ app on our Roku device. More often than not, I have to restart my Roku in order for the D+ app to actually play a video, so I totally know what you mean. Not sure how your app is installed, but if it's a device that can be restarted, give it a shot and see if it helps.
I tried rebooting everything for a while and didnt help so now I just go straight to the Netflix recommendation. I will give it another go though.

I was going to say that we haven't had any trouble, but then I realized that we have. It is just that we don't normally watch it while it is actively streaming.

Our internet is NOT the best. I live in an exurb and 3 blocks south of me, they have no internet, so I'm grateful for what I get. Because of that we have a Home Theater PC and we use PlayOn software to record streaming stuff in the wee hours of the morning when no one else in the neighborhood is using the cable internet. If there is buffering problems, it smooths those out. But, now that you mention it, we've watched while streaming lately, and every single show has gone to a blank screen and said something like, "Out of Memory"

What are you watching it on? It has issues on some older smart TVs.

What are you watching it on? It has issues on some older smart TVs.
2017 Samsung with Firestick.

Netflix has state of the art streaming technology while Disney+ just doesn't. Netflix have used a sophisticated AI to compress their video files, they use dynamic bit rate control to match the bandwidth of the real channel between their server and your device, and they have sophisticated technology to route their streams. Disney doesn't.

For me it was like the early days of cell phone when you tried to place your phone in various positions to improve reception. I tried various things to improve Disney performance but nothing worked. I started looking at the technology employed and concluded that the difference (for my particular case) between Netflix and Disney+ performance was just do to the streaming infrastructures employed by the companies. Netflix is state of the art and Disney+ is very dated.

2017 Samsung with Firestick.

Netflix has state of the art streaming technology while Disney+ just doesn't. Netflix have used a sophisticated AI to compress their video files, they use dynamic bit rate control to match the bandwidth of the real channel between their server and your device, and they have sophisticated technology to route their streams. Disney doesn't.

For me it was like the early days of cell phone when you tried to place your phone in various positions to improve reception. I tried various things to improve Disney performance but nothing worked. I started looking at the technology employed and concluded that the difference (for my particular case) between Netflix and Disney+ performance was just do to the streaming infrastructures employed by the companies. Netflix is state of the art and Disney+ is very dated.
That's sad and annoying to hear. Just finished watching behind the attraction on Disney+ and they kept saying the same thing over and over with each ride, the technology just isn't there to do it, which is why ride openings are delayed or cancelled. Well, if the technology is there, especially for something like this, why aren't they using it? Steal someone away from Netflix and create something similar but new for your own system. Ha, anyway, it's been available for a year and a half. Hopefully they figure it out soon.

Guess what I should be saying is Disney has the ability to be leading edge in technology, yet, they seem to fail time after time, which is what's truly annoying.

Last edited:

I have Disney+ on an AppleTV ...I wouldn't say I've had "NO" issues, but nothing even moderately problematic -and those are few and far between. I will give you that Netflix is superior -but honestly, that extremely occasionally throws the audio off when jumping back a few minutes. If you're streaming through your TV software -that is probably the culprit. For several reasons I would never do that. Best of luck!

I have Disney+ on my Firestick and I don't have any issues with it except the resolution occasionally drops which I think can be blamed on the provider. I travel a lot and most of the time I am streaming on a hotel network.

Absolutely no issues here. It must be on your end. Give us more info. Internet provider, your internet speed? How do you access Disney plus? App on tv roku, fire stick? We need more info so we can help you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter