Disney dining and paying OOP for 10 y old

AZDisney2011

Earning My Ears
My 10y is special needs & very difficult to feed. We are under the dining plan w/ him as an "adult" but chances are he won't eat the offered foods - definitely more of a "kid" food eater. Would it make sense for us to just pay for the kids meal OOP and save the credits for the other adults to eat at a later time? Just trying to figure out the most cost effective way to feed everyone and keep them happy.

Any help is appreciated.

You could do that, or if he is a big eater most places will fix him something off of the menu that is plain. We had my son on the adult plan and there were some restaurants that had chicken with some kind of sauce or whatever, and we could always get the chicken or steak plain, and the side items were always flexible. We also just used his adult credits once or twice for a kids meal. For us, it was so much food that the thought of saving the credits and using them later didn't appeal to us much. We just used them for what he wanted. That was free dining though, if we had paid i'm sure I would not have used adult credits for a kids meal.

Call Disney and double check that I think I have read that everyone in the room has to be on the DDP ...I found this old thread (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2191638)

the OP IS getting the DP for everyone. OP is just wanting to use the credits for others in the party and pay OOP for her child's food.

OP, I do not see an issue with this. Disney will be getting more of your money by doing this, so I don't think they will have an issue with it. Have a great trip!:thumbsup2

Someone else may be able to confirm this, but I believe you can also order off the kids menu and they'll give you adult portions. Best bet is to call Disney and get some options from them.

I wouldn't count on WDW-DINE being able to tell you any useable options. They are just a reservation service and don't have any idea what goes on in the restaurants themselves.

At fixed price restaurants you'll be charged an adult credit no matter what he eats. Luckily he'll be free to choose kids offerings at these restaurants.

At Disney owned restaurants that aren't fixed price, if he won't eat much then yes you should be able to order a kids' meal and pay OOP for it, keeping the adult credit for other meals. If he'll eat adult portions then ask for kids foods in adult portions and pay using the adult credits.

At restaurants not owned by Disney, you may have more difficulty and inconsistency.

Thanks for the input - this is our first trip and it was recommended that we use the dining plan for ease. All the other kids (we have 4) are super easy, but my 10y is very routine in what he will eat.

I appreciate the help. It would be great if we could order kids meals w/ adults portions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter