Disney changing bell services delivery with strollers..

That article makes me think this is a more a business transaction than a policy change. I’ve never heard of that company but I just checked their website and their stroller choices are extremely limited.
Bingo. Like you I think a new contract was drawn up and Scooterbug was willing to pay more than the others. As for the 3 strollers available for rent, style wise, they seem to offer what most parents speak about wanting: lots of undercarriage space, sun shade, parent tray/cup holders and a choice of single and double. Maybe they'll buy more styles as they expand.

I can confirm that Scooterbug is the exclusive Featured ECV/wheelchair/stroller vendor for WDW and will be the only provider going forward to be able to leave items with Bell Services.
The information on the Disney World Website has been updated at this point to reflect the new arrangement. There is also information regarding grandfathered services for reservations by today from the previous a Featured Providers.
Here’s the link:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/ecv-rentals/
The Scooterbug website is also in the process of being updated; keep watching their page for new items. Just because that’s what’s on the Scooterbug website now doesn’t mean that’s all there will be.
http://scooterbugmobilityrentals.com/

That article makes me think this is a more a business transaction than a policy change. I’ve never heard of that company but I just checked their website and their stroller choices are extremely limited.
Scooterbug has actually provided wheelchairs, ECVs and strollers for all the WDW parks and Disney Springs for many years.

Bingo. Like you I think a new contract was drawn up and Scooterbug was willing to pay more than the others. As for the 3 strollers available for rent, style wise, they seem to offer what most parents speak about wanting: lots of undercarriage space, sun shade, parent tray/cup holders and a choice of single and double. Maybe they'll buy more styles as they expand.

I agree. And maybe it got to be too much to deal with multiple authorized stroller providers and not just one. I’m sure you are right and that they will expand their stroller options as they go. It sounds like they are more focused on ECVs and wheelchairs right now, which is fine because of all the comments I’ve read about the change, it sounds like people with limited mobility are the most impacted and upset. I just think it’s so interesting that it was billed as a policy change due to the high stress on bell services, and it sounds like that might not be all that is going on there.

Scooterbug has actually provided wheelchairs, ECVs and strollers for all the WDW parks and Disney Springs for many years.

Oh, I have no doubt that they are a reputable company! I just have never heard of them in the many, many posts I’ve read about stroller suggestions. The three everyone talks about are Kingdom, Magic and Orlando strollers. Although it seems from the website that their main focus is EVCs and wheelchairs which might be why it’s not a go-to for stroller rentals.

I just checked out scooterbug's website, because I have no interest in trying to pin down a time that we'll be at the resort to do a face to face to both pick up and drop off our stroller with the providers we usually use. It seems like they have a lot of different strollers, more single than double, but of course they don't have the citi mini GT double which is the one we really like. I can use the regular citi mini double, but the one time we went with it at the recommendation of one of the rental companies I didn't like it nearly as well. it seems odd to me they don't have it, since it is one of the few the previous 3 preferred companies carried. Our trip isn't until February, so I'll have time to see how this all plays out. I also made a reservation with the previous preferred companies last night, but I'll have to see how the grandfathering in works and if making a reservation at 11:00 PM on Sept 30th was early enough to qualify for that! The problem with that is out dates aren't set in stone, and I think there's a good chance I'll have to adjust, and then I kind of assume we would lose the grandfathering in to the old policy.

I feel like planning a disney trip is like hitting a moving target. We figure out how to work things the best for us, and then the rules change and we have to figure out the second best way to make everything work. Stroller rental changes, dated tickets, non expiring tickets, APs skyrocketing, DVC resale rules changing, DVC direct minimums going up, dropping hotel nights getting harder, bell service delivery rules and charges, short stay resorts rooms unavailable when the entire week is available - these are just the few things that come to the front of my mind quickly that my family has had to either adapt to after a change for the worse FOR US, or is affecting future plans (we are contemplating DVC).

I also think this is related to money, and they got more money from provider willing to pony up. Because IMO most people will go with the provider that will deliver to bell services, and total volume won't drop all that much.

edited for grammar :-). I probably still missed something :P!

I just checked out scooterbug's website, because I have no interest in trying to pin down a time that we'll be at the resort to do a face to face to both pick up and drop off our stroller with the providers we usually use. It seems like they have a lot of different strollers, more single than double, but of course they don't have the citi mini GT double which is the one we really like. I can use the regular citi mini double, but the one time we went with it at the recommendation of one of the rental companies I didn't like it nearly as well. it seems odd to me they don't have it, since it is one of the few the previous 3 preferred companies carried. Our trip isn't until February, so I'll have time to see how this all plays out. I also made a reservation with the previous preferred companies last night, but I'll have to see how the grandfathering in works and if making a reservation at 11:00 PM on Sept 30th was early enough to qualify for that! The problem with that is out dates aren't set in stone, and I think there's a good chance I'll have to adjust, and then I kind of assume we would lose the grandfathering in to the old policy.

I feel like planning a disney trip is like hitting a moving target. We figure out how to work things the best for us, and then the rules change and we have to figure out the second best way to make everything work. Stroller rental changes, dated tickets, non expiring tickets, APs skyrocketing, DVC resale rules changing, DVC direct minimums going up, dropping hotel nights getting harder, bell service delivery rules and charges, short stay resorts rooms unavailable when the entire week is available - these are just the few things that come to the front of my mind quickly that my family has had to either adapt to after a change for the worse FOR US, or is affecting future plans (we are contemplating DVC).

I also think this is related to money, and they got more money from provider willing to pony up. Because IMO most people will go with the provider that will deliver to bell services, and total volume won't drop all that much.

edited for grammar :-). I probably still missed something :P!

I totally agree with you about the City Mini GT! I should be more open to trying another type of stroller but it’s what we know and we love it so instead I just booked it with our usual provider before the change was implemented. I know, it’s really hard to keep up with all the changes. I feel like I need to check the boards every day to make sure I don’t miss anything.

According to the link posted above to the new stroller policy, Disney specifically says on their website that they will honor all the reservations made on or before September 30, so your February reservation should be fine! They listed about 10 stroller companies on there! I didn’t realize they had so many authorized providers. I can’t believe they are going from all of them to just one.

They listed about 10 stroller companies on there! I didn’t realize they had so many authorized providers.
A total of 6 vendors. Technically only 3 were “featured stroller vendors,” but at least a couple of the featured wheelchair/ECV vendors also offered strollers.
Apple Scooter, Best Price Scooters and Strollers, Buena Vista Scooter Rentals, Kingdom Strollers, Magic Strollers and Orlando Stroller Rentals.

ScooterBug has also been 1 of the 4 featured wheelchair vendors for several years and will now remain as the single exclusive vendor allowed to deliver mobility devices via Bell Services.

Enjoy your vacation!

What I liked about Kingdom was that we could rent things besides strollers. We used them in the pasat to rent a crib since the only option at our resort was a pack n play. My kids never slept well no matter how tired they were in a pack n play so it was great to be able to rent a crib and have that delivered and brought up by bell services. I honestly am having a hard time imagining taking delivery of the crib the way it's being described, and it appears that ScooterBug doesn't offer anything like that since they are strictly mobility. I'm glad this will probably be the last trip that we'll need anything like this.

Do you think that Scooterbug was selected as the official provider only because they offered to pay the largest fee for the privilege, or did Scooterbug offer a variety of non-monetary advantages as well?

Like coordinating the delivery and removal of strollers, etc. in the resort lobby so not so many are parked there at any given time?
Like providing an extra person at the resort to do some of the busywork in the lobby, handling strollers, paperwork, etc.?

Do you think that Scooterbug was selected as the official provider only because they offered to pay the largest fee for the privilege, or did Scooterbug offer a variety of non-monetary advantages as well?

Like coordinating the delivery and removal of strollers, etc. in the resort lobby so not so many are parked there at any given time?
Like providing an extra person at the resort to do some of the busywork in the lobby, handling strollers, paperwork, etc.?
I can't say I've ever seen strollers parked in the lobby...why do people do this? Are there stores that don't allow strollers?

I assume they just gave Disney the most money and/or least problems for the rights, but I tend to be cynical like that. I would love to be proven wrong and find that they offer a better service for the guests and got the contract for that reason.

I assume they just gave Disney the most money and/or least problems for the rights, but I tend to be cynical like that. I would love to be proven wrong and find that they offer a better service for the guests and got the contract for that reason.
I suspect it will be a combination of the company making more money (that's what they're in business for, right?) and centralizing the pickup and delivery of the strollers thus freeing up WDW labor, insurance, and efficiency costs. Should it work properly, it should be a win win for the companies and guests.

I suspect it will be a combination of the company making more money (that's what they're in business for, right?) and centralizing the pickup and delivery of the strollers thus freeing up WDW labor, insurance, and efficiency costs. Should it work properly, it should be a win win for the companies and guests.
I don’t think it’s a win for the customers at all. It used to be you could rent from many places and have the stroller handled by bell services, then you had to choose from 3 companies to have it handled by bell services, and now there is no choice. You use Scooterbug or you have to arrange to meet to pick up and drop off the stroller yourself. I don’t know about anyone else, but until there is no choice or we don’t need a stroller rental I’m not going to try to guess when it will be convenient to meet and drop off when I could just have it waiting for me and drop it when we leave the resort on our last day, so I’m stuck with their preferred companies until they don’t have any. When I looked at scooterbug (haven’t looked since they announced this) they didn’t have the citi mini gt double that we like, so unless they add it we will have to take a stroller we have used and like much less or have a fairly big (IMO) inconvenience, so I’m annoyed. I’ll deal, but I’m still annoyed.

I agree, it’s a win-win for Disney and Scooterbug, as Disney will save money and presumably Scooterbug will make much more. But it’s a loss for the guest.

At least they Didn’t close that door altogether, I guess.

I don’t think it’s a win for the customers at all. It used to be you could rent from many places and have the stroller handled by bell services, then you had to choose from 3 companies to have it handled by bell services, and now there is no choice. You use Scooterbug or you have to arrange to meet to pick up and drop off the stroller yourself. I don’t know about anyone else, but until there is no choice or we don’t need a stroller rental I’m not going to try to guess when it will be convenient to meet and drop off when I could just have it waiting for me and drop it when we leave the resort on our last day, so I’m stuck with their preferred companies until they don’t have any. When I looked at scooterbug (haven’t looked since they announced this) they didn’t have the citi mini gt double that we like, so unless they add it we will have to take a stroller we have used and like much less or have a fairly big (IMO) inconvenience, so I’m annoyed. I’ll deal, but I’m still annoyed.

I agree, it’s a win-win for Disney and Scooterbug, as Disney will save money and presumably Scooterbug will make much more. But it’s a loss for the guest.

At least they Didn’t close that door altogether, I guess.
Seems Scooterbug has expanded the types of strollers they carry and probably carry the type you prefer; they rent a Citi Mini Double with various accessories available now. Glad they did their research. As for the other stroller companies as long as they can successfully adapt to the new changes the strong will survive and the weak will probably sell their inventory to another company or find a new place of operation. Wouldn't be surpised if some companies lower their prices a bit to accomodate customers who don't mind/know about the former delivery system. Choices are still there just market shares will probably change.

Seems Scooterbug has expanded the types of strollers they carry and probably carry the type you prefer; they rent a Citi Mini Double with various accessories available now. Glad they did their research. As for the other stroller companies as long as they can successfully adapt to the new changes the strong will survive and the weak will probably sell their inventory to another company or find a new place of operation. Wouldn't be surpised if some companies lower their prices a bit to accomodate customers who don't mind/know about the former delivery system. Choices are still there just market shares will probably change.
I didn’t recheck, but they had the City mini double but not the city mini GT double, big difference to me.

I’m not saying I don’t understand this, I’m saying Disney did it to benefit Disney, and Scooterbug was likely the company willing to pony up the most and probably comply fully with Disney’s reqiests on how to run things as well. I don’t feel bad for the other companies, per say, and I’ve had good experiences with all of the previous preferred ones. However, I don’t care how good it was, I’m going to go with the one that can let me pick it up at Bell services when I arrive and drop it there when I leave. Convenience and time saving trumps all to me when I’m on vacation, and I would have to have a disaster with the new preferred company before I would decide to choose arranging an in person meet and drop off. Saving money wouldn’t sway me, unless it was in the 50% off range, which isn’t feasible. Maybe I would consider the airport pickup OSR started, since we would literally be there anyway, but we usually drive now so that won’t help us.

For our Feb trip I booked sept 30th so we should be ok, after that I’ll be trying Scooterbug unless something changes, or I decide I really don’t want to do the regular City mini double and they haven’t added the GT yet. Like all of the negative changes at Disney, I’ll adapt and learn the best way for my family to navigate the changes, but it doesn’t mean I have to like it or not be cynical or grumpy about “the way it used to be”!

... a win-win ...

Under the old system, the guests and the stroller etc., companies were the winners and Disney was the loser.

Perhaps under the new system, stroller companies will innovate, as opposed to just offering lower prices. If they (including Scooterbug) had to raise their prices, possibly pricing themselves out of the market, that would be indicative of dealig with the true cost of providing the service, up until now partly absorbed by Disney's bell services.

Someone mentioned airport pickup and dropoff of strollers. Would there be a procedure for a family running late and unable to wait their turn for the stroller check in rep. before racing off to the security checkpoint?[/quote]

Last edited:
Under the old system, the guests and the stroller etc., companies were the winners and Disney was the loser.
Disney wasn’t the loser haha, you sound like you think we should feel bad for them or something. Guest spend thousands and thousands of dollars to visit Disney, offering them conveniences such as length of stay strollers delivered to them helps entice them to come, stay, and spend at Disney. I guess I’m am a little surprised Disney didn’t just start a Service like this themselves, though, if they decided to start closing doors on outside vendors doing it this way,

OSR has or is starting soon a drop off and pick up at MCO option instead of meeting them at your resort, I have no idea what they plan to do if someone is running late. Hopefully they thought of that. It will be one more stressor to add to leaving from the airport, though, which I wouldn’t like. Pick up wouldn’t be too bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter