Disney Changes Vaccination Requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
CDC guidelines for cruise passengers recommend following the same protocols as traveling on public transportation. On the public transportation page, they recommend wearing a mask in all public areas. There is a note at the top that says the page is being reviewed for updates, but those are the current guidelines, anyway. No need to spread misinformation.

Seriously! Japan is being very silly now. I had a trip all planned out for the fall of 2020 and here we are two years later and they're still closed.

Summer in Japan is rough, though. It's so hot and humid, plus the rain in June/July!

I understand their fears. I don’t blame them. We backed out of going after the tsunami/nuclear reactor leak, so I will cut them some slack. I could go if I did a tour, but no way. We will have to go in summer due to school. We are from Texas and go to Orlando in the summer all the time. I’m not too worried.

Heck even without kids we book far in advance, but that is because the types of vacations we book at present are a combo of popular place, crazy popular time, and small number of spots available. Relevant example, the only DCL cruise I have booked right now is the 8 night to Bermuda on the Fantasy next year. If we wanted that one, we had one choice. Over Christmas we're back on the Letty for another week with the Galapagos, sold out with only 20 available spots. NEXT Christmas we wanted a Danube Christmas Market cruise. Probably not sold out, but we got the week we needed in the cabin category we wanted by booking almost two years in advance. Any later and it would have been sold out like this year is. If we didn't care exactly when or what company we sailed with, I'm sure we could have thrown something together, but that's not how we choose to spend vacation dollars on the big trips.

The language says "We continue to strongly recommend unvaccinated guests wear a face covering in all indoor locations" under 'Youth Activities' here https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/why-cruise-disney/experience-updates/on-the-ship-us/. Going by this this is not a requirement, but a strong suggestion.
I just spent three weeks in Europe. I booked the cruise in April and Didn't start planning the land portion to July. The trip turned out great. I don't think it takes months, years, or even weeks to plan a great vacation. On cruises and the ABD tours you do there really isn't that much planning. Most of it is done for you. If it's something like a Galapagos tour or limited river cruise that's going to sell out I get it, but that's not the case with your basic cruise.

We aren't DVC members because we don't book anything that far in advance - we'd never get a room anywhere :rotfl: . When I get an itch to travel, I want to go now - not in a year. We booked our Sept cruise about a month ago and this 2 months seems so long - I made a couple Disney weekends to hold us over :laughing:

International trips were (pre-COVID) booked 2-3 months out, at most, and US destinations are usually 3-4 weeks out. There is nothing I love more than a last minute deal!

I don't know anyone IRL that books travel far out. Occasionally, a friend mentions they are aiming for Disney further away - like for Spring Break/Christmas/Summer - but when I ask where they are staying, they never have anything booked yet. Just plans to go. My sister in law takes 8-10 trips a year and she plans the next one when she returns from one. Some are planned 2 weeks out, others a couple months. She seems to be living her best life without advance planning!

This board naturally attracts hyper planners for sure, though.

Disney (specifically Disney World) vacations require you to plan nearly a year in advance. (Unless you are a "take what you get and don't throw a fit" family.) In May, I started planning an October trip and was shocked by how difficult it was to find accommodations. Considering this is a Disney board, I'm not at all surprised that people here are super planners for Disney vacations.

Disney (specifically Disney World) vacations require you to plan nearly a year in advance. (Unless you are a "take what you get and don't throw a fit" family.) In May, I started planning an October trip and was shocked by how difficult it was to find accommodations. Considering this is a Disney board, I'm not at all surprised that people here are super planners for Disney vacations.
The cruises aren't much better. If you want a certain type of room on a unique itinerary, then you'd better book well in advance. For example, the 1-bedroom concierge rooms on the next Panama Canal cruise sold out on Platinum day. For all cruises, activity booking windows open up to four months before departure.

You can certainly plan a last-minute cruise. I did that last February when I couldn't make my original cruise because of weather. And since I was sailing a 4+3 B2B on the Dream, I was able to book just about anything that I wanted only three days before departure. But that's not true for just about any other Disney cruise.

Disney has been a follower for well over two years. They are out of touch with reality. (See park reservations and dozens of other asinine policies)
Disney was first to require vaccines for kids under 12, though, and they did it almost immediately after CDC approval. So, they aren't always last. We'll just have to wait and see.

Just curios what type of accommodations require you to book a year in advance?

Disney has been a follower for well over two years. They are out of touch with reality. (See park reservations and dozens of other asinine policies)
People aren’t happy with Disney these days. It just hasn’t caught up with them yet. In fairness they were the first and only ones to require vaccines for under 12’s…no one followed them.

Yeah, I have never booked WDW a year or even almost a year out. I just don't plan a parks trip that far in advance. 2 - 4 months is typical for me, and I'm usually able to get the resort I want, with a discount to boot.

That said, October is the now the busiest month of the year at WDW because of the nice weather and the special events, so that might be why that PP had a hard time booking October 5 months out, especially if it was for a longer stay.

Last edited:

FYI—dvc members book 11 months out! If you want to book the hard to get resorts or the low points rooms you can get shut out even at 11 months. Food & wine (BWV & BCV) and the first two weeks of December are the hardest times to book. Getting boardwalk standard rooms are extremely difficult (along with standard at BLT and value rooms at Jambo). I often book the week before and week after for most cruises.

FYI—dvc members book 11 months out! If you want to book the hard to get resorts or the low points rooms you can get shut out even at 11 months. Food & wine (BWV & BCV) and the first two weeks of December are the hardest times to book. Getting boardwalk standard rooms are extremely difficult (along with standard at BLT and value rooms at Jambo). I often book the week before and week after for most cruises.
DVC isn't regular WDW resort booking, though. It has its own special rules and is very inflexible compared to booking regular resort rooms from WDW, which is one of the many reasons not to buy DVC imo. I don't think the PP who had difficulty booking was referring to DVC, or he wouldn't have expressed surprise at a lack of availability at 5 months.

I never book 11 months out and have always gotten rooms with my DVC membership even during busy times and desired resorts. I booked Grand Floridian at 6 months out for Thanksgiving weekend with no issues.

There year before I got Poly 2 weeks before Thanksgiving weekend on a "lets go to Disney for Thanksgiving thought". It can most certainly be done but you have to be patient and look as you piece meal a trip together and then eventually everything will fall in place.'

With that being said the value at AKL is like a unicorn as I have never seen it exist and same with Grand Cali (granted there aren't many rooms there).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter