• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Budget. Am I forgetting something?

wanderingdee

Earning My Ears
We are heading to Disney next week and are on a pretty firm budget. We have the dining plan.

We have money set aside for tips, small toys on the trip, and food at the airport. Our luggage is already paid for and we aren't renting a car.

Is there anything else I'm forgetting to budget for? I've been nervous that I'm forgetting something big, so I figured I'd check here with the experts! Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Here's what I have on my list when making the budget.

Tips - airport parking, baggage handler, bellmen/ or if you store your luggage before or after check in or check out, for dinning, and adult beverage stops, and house keeping. Tips for taxi, uber, lyft...

Souvenirs you can spend a lot at Disney on these, so be prepared. Here's what we did each DD would get 50.00 on a gift card and when it was gone it was gone...when they have to spend their money they are more aware of what they are spending it on, and we would by them each a T-shirt not part of the 50.00.

Not sure now long your flight is, food and drinks on the plane...

Food - depending on which dinning plan that you have, you might need to buy a extra meal here and there, or extra snacks or drinks. Dinning plan credits are good until midnight on check out day, so plan if you will need breakfast or even lunch. Make sure to spend all your snack credits, possibly on pastry or muffins for a quick breakfast, or spend the night before for items to take home. Even if you don't normally eat a lot or the kiddos don't, with a lot of walking and excitement you will find yourself needing more food. Check out the menus and see what might be good for you to share so you can manage your entitlements to the fullest. I strongly suggest having water delivered, and bring some snacks with you to keep on hand, A lot of folks use Staples for water delivery. Garden grocer will deliver to the resort, or you might want to get a Uber over to a store for some room snacks and water.

Adult beverages - plan on around 15 to 20+ plus tip per round for 2 adults.

Poncho's, sunscreen, sun-glasses, over the counter med's - make sure to have these with you they are pricey $$$$ at the world.... Bathing suits, flip flops, are other items that needs to be in the suitcase.

I always pad the budget, so I am prepared. Anything leftover goes toward our next trip.

I would make sure you have some emergency funds available for the just in case's, whether in cash or credit cards.... access to both. My friends had to go to a walk in clinic, which was 150.00 for the visit as she forgot her insurance cards, luckily Walgreens had her insurance info for the prescription her part was under 20.00 bucks. Then the added cost of the uber ride there are back... Another friend forgot her allergy shots, and had to go to the ER, and they had to paid like 300.00 right then.

Have a magically trip, Peace, Love and Pixie Dust...

I've never had water delivered but I did make sure to have some kind of water bottle or cup. Since you are on the he dining plan you will be able to get fluids that way. Be sure to get water at cs in the parks. it really is free and plentiful.

I have never done the dining plan but I believe the credits are per night? So if you arrive early and leave late you may run out. But if you do like we did one year and leave at 4:00 am it will be different. :-)

pet sitting, airport parking? otherwise if I'm on the ddp I don't spend extra on food.... sounds good- plan for some extra just in case

Available credit....or cash.....to cover an unexpected nights hotel stay and full fare one way air fare for everyone in your party in case of a flight delay that (like weather) that the airline is required to pay for you.

We put $500 in the budget for tips and splurges. Tips when we are on DP are usually $200 for a 9 day stay. Then we have bought small things for family, hit the small boats for an hour. We also buy a couple of nice Disney picture frames while we are there. We've also take the carriage at POR.

Do you want to do anything special like a Disney special tour, show, spa treatment, boat ride, and so forth?

I always have extra cash or a credit card handy for the unexpected. I usually bring first aid supplies with me but when I came down with a cold, I had to buy medicine in the resort gift shop. Spendy, but cheaper than transportation to a less expensive store. I have also bought sweatshirts for really unexpected colder nights or ponchos when the dollar store variety were inadequate. I don't spend anything much on souvenirs. Pictures are all I need. I always make sure to have my medical insurance card and health savings account card with me. If you bring extra and don't use it, all the better.

Water. While you can refill water bottles at many locations, you'll be surprised at how quickly you can become dehydrated, especially following a flight.

And always, always, always assume that something off could happen. Make sure you have a little extra budgeted for the truly unexpected. If you don't spend it, huzzah! If you do, then you're well prepared.

Hope you have a great trip!

PS - Love the idea above about each child having a gift card to spend. That's brilliant! ;-)

Tips and airport parking are 2 biggies.
The dining plan comes with a refillable cup, so buying extra beverages isn't completely necessary. The problem arises when the room is a 1/2 mile from the nearest refill station, or if you are at a park late and get back thirsty only to find the beverage area closed at midnight.
Most dining plans offer 2 meals a day, will the kids be hungry if they don't have 3? Plan some extra $$ for food.
Other things like flu symptoms and allergies can flare. The $6 bottle of Nyquil at Walmart is $13 at Disney. These things can, and do, happen.

We go with $33 a day gift card to cover food, we hit a grocery store or have snacks/drinks delivered, and then keep $250 extra in the general fund for just in case stuff. For a 6 day trip, $200 is on the card. If you want a tshirt, eat cheaper and use the leftover $$. The kids can also save allowance and take it with them.

Great advice here.

One other item that I thought I'd mention is that despite the best made plans someone in the family may forget something needed, and buying that on vacation will be more expensive than at home. Rather than getting upset about this, I just budget for it and consider it a vacation expense. Here are some examples with my own family: We bought an Apple charger for a MacBook Pro computer in Vancouver, Canada when this was left home (did this for family member really into photography who wanted to download and edit photos each day). We had to buy my son a belt when we were staying in downtown Manhattan, NYC (It was a nice belt, but I still say ouch when I remember what we had to pay for it).

I always like to pack some Ibuprofen (generic Advil) too, as prices for things like that at tourist places are sky high. I just put some in a plastic bag in my purse.

Others have mentioned most of these next items for the most part I think: It's important to budget for airport parking, kennel if you have pets (boarding, day camp, treats, dog grooming, and tip again) - can be a big line item, tips for maids and meals for any table service, any special Disney experiences planned (if you are doing any of these) - they can be quite pricey - aren't things you need to do, but many like to do these, uber/lyft and tips if you are planning to use these services to go offsite (do any non Disney stuff while in Orlando) -- sounds like you are just doing Disney though, souvenirs -- no problem as an adult passing on these or having older children pay for their own, but I will say that they have so many adorable things for little ones I have often when mine were little spent more than I thought I would. I'm not usually one who goes for this stuff, but the Disney things are really cute. Also, kids love balloons at the parks, Mickey bar treats, glow in the dark kinds of things while waiting for night time shows, and these can add up if you say yes to these and depending on how many kid you have. I thought I was a parent who would say no to these, but did go for some of these on occasion when my kids were little. Also, I don't know the age of your kids, but stroller rental -- At places like Epcot when you do tons of walking, I'd rent a big double stroller years after my kids were out of these (till age six) and thought it was money well spent. It was great. The kids would walk when they wanted and ride when they were tired. At the other parks, I was able to pass on the stroller at a much earlier age (much less walking than at Epcot), but Epcot is so spread out and a ton of walking for little legs. I don't know what resort you are staying at, but there are things like games at the arcades, fishing pole rental, little speed boat rental that we have often spent funds on.

Also, a great little cushion for the budget is figuring that you won't be buying groceries on vacation or paying for lunches at work if you don't bring your lunch. That the padding that usually leaves us a little under budget. We budget what we think we will spend and then have that extra cushion.

Have fun and just say no for things you don't want to spend money on. But Disney marketing to kids is very good and there will be tempting extra things your little ones if you have little ones very well may ask about -- look delightful -- leaving it to you to decide whether to spend some extra or not.

I hadn't intended to buy water bottles in the parks but I think have ended up buying one almost every day. This is probably just because it's august and I'm not used to the heat enough but we will suddenly feel sick and buy water at the nearest spot which doesn't usually have the free water...

Extra snacks (just in case), beverages in the parks. a little bit of extra money in case you forgot something (like sunscreen, etc).

Water. We brought in 1-2 bottles in the AM to drink in our bags. I had purchased 3-36 packs from Garden Grocer. We still purchased 2-3 drinks a day in the park, per person. I went over budget by $300.00. That was cold drinks in the park! It's HOT!!

I should add - we don't drink tap water, only bottled water, on vacations. Because sometimes we have tummy troubles with other area's water.

Here's what I have on my list when making the budget.
'snip'

I would make sure you have some emergency funds available for the just in case's, whether in cash or credit cards.... access to both. My friends had to go to a walk in clinic, which was 150.00 for the visit as she forgot her insurance cards, luckily Walgreens had her insurance info for the prescription her part was under 20.00 bucks. Then the added cost of the uber ride there are back... Another friend forgot her allergy shots, and had to go to the ER, and they had to paid like 300.00 right then.

Have a magically trip, Peace, Love and Pixie Dust...

With regard to the UBER ride to the clinic, if you are staying at a Disney resort, a free shuttle was provided for us. Concierge or the front desk gave us a flyer with a number to call for the walk in clinic.

Also, at the clinic I had my health card and the guy says '$60' for my copay. I told him I didn't have a copay for walk in. He then asked 'what do you usually pay? Nothing. In the end, I said, how about $20? I really didn't feel up to arguing this. After I got home maybe 2 months later, I received a check for the refunded $20. Point is, the clinic may not know what to charge based on your insurance. Or they may just not want to check it out. If you know yourself what you should be paying, let them know.

Since you're on a firm budget, I'd suggest these things:

- Tell the kids you're not buying souvenirs. After only 1-2 vacations with kids, we decided we'd become a NO souvenirs family, and it worked wonderfully well for us: The kids didn't really care, and I didn't end up throwing away junk in a few weeks after it stopped being a souvenir and started being unloved clutter. The kids focused on activities not on shopping: I didn't really grasp how much difference this made until my kids were older and started going on field trips, scout trips, etc. ... and I saw that so many other kids would rush through a museum, aquarium, whatever to reach what was for them the holy grail of the trip: The gift shop. My kids traveled MUCH MORE (not just Disney, but a wide variety of places) than any of their friends, and they understood that skipping souvenirs was one thing that allowed them more trips.

- Be sure to pack necessities that you're likely to need on your vacation: Tylenol, bandaids, sunscreen, batteries, etc. These things -- so inexpensive to buy at your local Walmart -- will demand a premium price in Orlando, even more on Disney property.

- Someone mentioned water bottles. Be aware that you can ask for FREE ice water in any counter service restaurant or at any kiosk in the parks. It's cold, and you don't have to tote it yourself.

- Bring plenty of snacks -- double what you expect to need; you can always use them at home. Kids tend to eat more snacks when they're walking a lot, and a pack of pre-packaged cookies is a whole lot cheaper than a Dole Whip purchased in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter