**Disney After Hours - Animal Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

@GADisneyDad14 - Regarding rides during the buffer, hasn't DINOSAUR been perhaps the one troublemaker there? I was thinking we have reports of it not opening until the official start of the event, since it has been closing an hour or so before the park closes. Has that changed recently?

@GADisneyDad14 - Regarding rides during the buffer, hasn't DINOSAUR been perhaps the one troublemaker there? I was thinking we have reports of it not opening until the official start of the event, since it has been closing an hour or so before the park closes. Has that changed recently?

This was the case with us. We went on 8/19 which had a 30 minute buffer time. We decided to ride Dinosaur first, and they made us line up outside and didn't let anyone in until 9 on the dot.

We went ahead and bought tickets for our October trip. If we decide to to enter the park early, say 5 pm on our park hoppers, will we have to go back to the entrance to get our wristbands?

Some Dorian related new for 9/3's DAK DAH:
  • Disney After Hours at Disney’s Animal Kingdom has been canceled on Tuesday, Sept. 3, 2019. Guests with pre-purchased event tickets for this date are able to exchange their tickets for one of the following options:
    • Tickets to attend another Disney After Hours event in 2019.
    • Tickets to a Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party or Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party event in 2019.
    • 1-Day Flexible Date Ticket with Park Hopper Option, which can be used any day prior to December 31, 2020
    • Receive a full refund for event tickets.
To redeem these other options, guests can call (407) 939-7818 by Dec. 15 between the hours of 7 a.m. and 11 p.m., or email Ticket.Inquiries@DisneyWorld.com.

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2019/09/advisory-hurricane-dorian-to-affect.html?m=1

Thanks for your input. This sounds like quite a double edged sword to me :( Lighter crowds definitely a plus. We are from New York, and moved to South Carolina almost 3 years ago. However, I forgot about the cold and I'm not looking back! And cold+Disney just shouldn't be in the same sentence, imo! LOL. This will be our first January trip, a bit nervous!!

Can anyone tell me if these events normally sell out? How far in advance should I purchase? If I wait until end of November (2 months in advance), do you think I'll still be able to get in on it? I'm trying to wait and see if there will be EMH or EEMH announced for HS before I commit to DAK After Dark event. =/
I'm not sure what it's like crowd wise at the end of January but from our experience, it did not sell out. My DD and I did the AK DAH in 2019, second into the third week. I got the tickets in Oct. We were freezing but we just bundled up (winter coat) and still had a blast. We were in awe of how quiet it was. The weather fluctuated throughout the especially night. Some nights were 42 degrees (freezing and breezy) and others mid - high 50's? Keep checking the forecast before you go so you can pack accordingly. I think if you wait until November to get your tickets you should be ok.

Last edited:

Good question - Dino does sometimes have shorter operating hours than the park (cheap Disney)... I hadn’t followed it closely but I guess it looks like that one doesn’t open back up until DAH start.

Nope, you can get on rides with your DAH wristband during that ‘buffer’ time (if your night ends up having it). You’re all good.
Just a heads up on this - I was at the 8/26 AH (which I think was my fourth or fifth at AK?), which had a 30 minute buffer between park close and the start of AH. We found pretty much every ride closed during that 30 minutes. We started over at Dinosaur just after 8:30 - blocked by a line of CMs next to Restaurantosaurus. EE was closed due to storms in the area (and wouldn't open until the last 15-20 minutes of the event). Headed to Tough to be a Bug - rope across the entrances and the CM said they wouldn't open until 9. Then over to Pandora - lines of AH guests formed outside the turnstiles for both NRJ and FoP. We ended up lining up for FoP (not the best time as it was raining) and they let us in right at 9pm.

I asked one of the CMs later about the policy (as previous experience was that we could enter during the buffer). I was told that opening is up to the discretion of the CMs running that ride - so take that for whatever it's worth (which probably isn't much). Nevertheless - we found every ride closed during the buffer for this particular event. A bit of a shame as I was looking forward to that bonus 30 minutes.

Just a heads up on this - I was at the 8/26 AH (which I think was my fourth or fifth at AK?), which had a 30 minute buffer between park close and the start of AH. We found pretty much every ride closed during that 30 minutes. We started over at Dinosaur just after 8:30 - blocked by a line of CMs next to Restaurantosaurus. EE was closed due to storms in the area (and wouldn't open until the last 15-20 minutes of the event). Headed to Tough to be a Bug - rope across the entrances and the CM said they wouldn't open until 9. Then over to Pandora - lines of AH guests formed outside the turnstiles for both NRJ and FoP. We ended up lining up for FoP (not the best time as it was raining) and they let us in right at 9pm.

I asked one of the CMs later about the policy (as previous experience was that we could enter during the buffer). I was told that opening is up to the discretion of the CMs running that ride - so take that for whatever it's worth (which probably isn't much). Nevertheless - we found every ride closed during the buffer for this particular event. A bit of a shame as I was looking forward to that bonus 30 minutes.

Interesting, thanks for this real time update. Wonder why they are messing with things.

What are you supposed to do - just walk around the park? Not that that’s a bad thing, but still.

They need to keep Dawa Bar open if they are going to do stuff like this! :-)

Interesting, thanks for this real time update. Wonder why they are messing with things.

What are you supposed to do - just walk around the park? Not that that’s a bad thing, but still.

They need to keep Dawa Bar open if they are going to do stuff like this! :-)
I was wondering that myself - my best guess was to funnel people over to RoL, which was running during the buffer (although that doesn't make much sense with an AH-only showing) or to clear the queues of day guests. Not much to do during those 30 minutes, especially when the weather isn't great. On the plus side, FoP was only a 5 minute wait once it opened at 9pm and the queue was completely clear.

I'm hesitant to agree with you on keeping Dawa (or even Nomad) open - because it's TOO good of an idea and I might never leave for the actual AH. Reminds me how much I wish they had that small section of Harambe open with the street performers during AH for a nighttime party vibe at AK. Understand why they keep it closed, but it's not like they don't have some of the same things in other sections of the park during AH (with Thirsty River serving in Asia and the drummers over in Pandora).

Good question - Dino does sometimes have shorter operating hours than the park (cheap Disney)... I hadn’t followed it closely but I guess it looks like that one doesn’t open back up until DAH start.
About a month ago (around when they stopped giving updates on PW), Disney changed the hours for Dinosaur for all days on the calendar, it is now scheduled to run all the way until park close, every day.

Something else is happening here.

I'm going to 10/26 AK AHP. I think that day is 9 pm-close with AHP technically starting at 9, so no buffer. What is anyone's experience with no buffer time AHP?

I'm going to 10/26 AK AHP. I think that day is 9 pm-close with AHP technically starting at 9, so no buffer. What is anyone's experience with no buffer time AHP?

Most of the summer dates didn’t have a buffer and it was hardly mentioned around these parts, for whatever that is worth.

My view of things is that keeping FoP until later in the night is just about the only thing to really plan, buffer or no buffer.

We went June 3rd with no buffer and it was pretty perfect. As many have said, just head to FOP a bit later. The CM's are crazy good about getting non party guests out :) Enjoy!

I'm arriving/entering the park at 7:00 (as allowed) and got a FP+ for Safaris (6:30-7:30)--I've only done morning ones before--and Everest (7:30-8:30). I'm sure I'll have plenty of opportunities to ride EE during AHP, but it puts me on that side of the park. My plan is to get some really good night time shots (long exposure/park allowed tripod) in Pandora with as few people around as possible. So I'll head in around 10ish and stay there the rest of the evening (catching FoP and NR). I just hope the weather cooperates (no rain/thunderstorms).

Is there a list of who's attending when?
I'm considering going on 10/5 but I'd be alone. The rest of my party won't arrive till the 6th and 7th.
Wondering if anyone else around these parts will be there and alone that night

Is there a list of who's attending when?
I'm considering going on 10/5 but I'd be alone. The rest of my party won't arrive till the 6th and 7th.
Wondering if anyone else around these parts will be there and alone that night

I haven’t been keeping guest lists for the DAHs these days. It was cute/easier to handle in the infancy of DAH when they were limited to a handful of dates and it was more of a niche / seasonal offering, but proved too burdensome as they expanded parks and dates to close to year-round these days.

I like being on the DIS, but not that much. ;)

I did Animal Kingdom AH last night (9/9). I got there at 6p (I think this is before you're allowed in if you only have the AH ticket) and went right to Kilamanjaro Safari, which I had a 6:05 fast pass for. It wouldn't have mattered, the wait was only 10 minutes. From there I did Expedition Everest with very little wait, still before the event, then tough to be a bug with no wait, got some food, and headed toward Pandora. On my way to Pandora I was able to pick up my wrist band. It was around 7:30p at this point. I spent a good deal of time just starring at everything in Pandora, as it was my first time there.

I did Na'vi River, as a walk on (still before event start). This gives you an idea that crowds were hardly heavy before the event. After that, FoP was posted as 60 min. I got in line, still with day guests, and rode within 10 minutes. After FoP the event was finally underway. I got an ice cream bar and some drinks, used the rest room, then did FoP a second time. And a 3rd.

After that I headed back to the main park area where I watched the Tree of Life for a bit, got popcorn and more drinks and more ice cream. I went on Expedition Everest 2 more times. Then off to Dinosaur, which I only did once.

I walked back to Pandora and got more snacks and drinks on the way. Two more rides on FoP and the evening was through.

I left with 3 bottled drinks and two popcorns in my bag.

Total ride count between 6 and midnight:

Expedition Everest: 3
Dinosaur: 1
Tough to be a Bug: 1
Na'vi River: 2
Flight of Passage: 5
Kilamanjaro Safari: 1

Well worth it in my opinion

Forgive me if the answer is somewhere in this thread, but what are the "select beverages" that are available "complimentary?" I was under the impression you could just get bottled water. Are you also able to get bottled soda?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter