**Disney After Hours - Animal Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

I have mine booked for 2/19. I am going on a solo trip to celebrate my 40th which is 2/12. I could not get FP for FoPso this will help get my FoP fix in. I also got a FP for Safari during the day. I have to say to be under the 60day mark but more than 30 day mark I was surprised at the amount of good FP was left. 7DMT was still available on the day I booked my FP (yesterday). Happy Birthday to me1

Did they still have water somewhere?
They had bottled water at the locations where there were bottled drinks. I assume there was water available in cups where they offered drinks in cups. Is that what you wanted to know? They did not have water cups already pre-filled and ready to grab and go.

Here's my notes from Tuesday night:
-Arrived about 7:15pm. There was no one providing parking directions and I ended up where people do drop-offs, so I veered off and parked in what I think was preferred parking? Not sure but it was pretty close parking!
- Went through Discovery Island and looked to see if they were giving out drinks/treats before 8:30pm--they weren't. Stopped on bridge because ROL was finishing up so we watched for a few minutes. Went to Dinoland and saw that snack cart there was also closed.
-We did Dinosaur first and we (2 of us) got on what I believe was the last car in through Dinosaur before 8pm. There was no commentary on the ride, just the background noises, which was really strange, but kind of fun! We tried to go back and re-ride, but they closed the ride to clear everything and said they would re-open at 8:30pm. Not sure when they re-opened (saw someone else post they reopened at 8:25pm).
- Went to Triceratops Spin and rode it twice. Didn't have to get off after first ride. Got off after second time to see if snack cart was open (it wasn't). We rode it third time and could have stayed on and rode more, but got off about 8:25pm. Snack cart still not open and they told others that they wouldn't open until exactly 8:30pm and were serious because someone tried and was told they had to wait one more minute. DJ was getting ready for the dance party, which started at 8:30pm.
-Got popcorn in 16 oz drink cup and bottle of diet coke (had coke, diet, sprite, water, etc) right after 8:30pm. DS also got a mickey bar.
-Went back to Dinosaur and rode twice. Didn't have to get off ride between two rides, which was fun.
-Back to Dinoland for more popcorn and drinks
-Headed to Everest and rode it twice--had to go through FP line both times (ie couldn't stay on ride).
-Exited Everest and entered and watched 2nd half of Rivers of Light
-Rode Everest again one more time
-Got popcorn in 12 oz cups (ie smaller than in Dinoland) and a strawberry frozen treat in Asia
-Headed toward Pandora as we ate treats
-Got popcorn in 16oz cup and Diet Coke in 12 oz cup at cart in Discovery Island (we were putting some of the uneaten popcorn in a ziplock in our backpack)
-Got popcorn in box and drinks in bottle at cart just before bridge to Pandora
-Entered FOP at 9:50pm for first time with a somewhat long line. Rode ride and exited ride at 10:20pm. I looked around during ride, and it seemed that not all of the rooms were being used, but I didn't pay attention to how many. We did wait about 10 minutes in the line before moving to the pre-show.
-Entered FPO a second time at 10:27pm and rode and were off the ride at 11:00pm.
-Went to Navi and rode ride one time with no wait and only us in one boat with a few empty boats around us.
-Decided we were done. Got one more popcorn in box and drink to go at the cart just over the bridge as you exit Pandora.
My goal was to ride each ride three times, but FOP took too much time so only rode it twice. Probably could have done Navi three times before park closed but decided we were done (we'd gotten up at 4:30am that morning to catch our flight to Orlando). So probably could have rode everything except FOP 3 times in the time frame of the event. Didn't bother with Bugs Life, since it's a long show and never has a line during the day.

Overall we had a great time. I was surprised that we could only ride Triceratops and not Dinosaur before 8:30pm (we didn't try anywhere else, as we were trying to get everything done in one area before heading to another). I probably would not pay to do it again. I did the After Hours event at MK on March 8, 2018. Obviously MK has more rides to spread out people. Every location during the MK event where we got treats gave out popcorn in the regular cardboard popcorn container that you get when you purchase popcorn during regular hours, so I was surprised when they were giving it out in the smaller containers at several locations at AK. Also, MK had only bottled drinks, where AK had several locations with the 12 oz cups (ie the same size you get a free water on a regular park day). Since the wait for FOP is so long with the pre-shows, you really can't ride it too many times. I wanted to do three rides, but after two I was done since it took an hour to ride 2 times.

Not sure if the After Hours events at MK and/or HS give out popcorn in the standard container or have switched to the drink cups--I'd love to know if anyone has done the other events.

You could probably get more done at an After Hours event at HS if they don't make you watch the pre-shows (do they???). FOP was obviously the most popular ride, and I was hoping it would have gone faster than 30 minutes at the end of the night. It is one of the reasons I wouldn't do the event again--I think 30 minutes total is too long for one ride during an after hours event that only lasts 3 hours.

You know that comment about looking around and seeing empty seats riding fop reminds me of something
The comment by a CM that they only open some rooms because the crowds were too low makes even less sense. When they run the ride all rooms go at once. It wouldn't make any difference to say you are only loading some rooms because if you opened them all some bikes would be empty. All rooms running or some rooms running it's all the same. All rooms ride at once, if that makes sense. That excuse would only make sense if they run multiple theaters
If that's makes sense. Having a hard time explaining my thought

They had bottled water at the locations where there were bottled drinks. I assume there was water available in cups where they offered drinks in cups. Is that what you wanted to know? They did not have water cups already pre-filled and ready to grab and go.

Here's my notes from Tuesday night:
-Arrived about 7:15pm. There was no one providing parking directions and I ended up where people do drop-offs, so I veered off and parked in what I think was preferred parking? Not sure but it was pretty close parking!
- Went through Discovery Island and looked to see if they were giving out drinks/treats before 8:30pm--they weren't. Stopped on bridge because ROL was finishing up so we watched for a few minutes. Went to Dinoland and saw that snack cart there was also closed.
-We did Dinosaur first and we (2 of us) got on what I believe was the last car in through Dinosaur before 8pm. There was no commentary on the ride, just the background noises, which was really strange, but kind of fun! We tried to go back and re-ride, but they closed the ride to clear everything and said they would re-open at 8:30pm. Not sure when they re-opened (saw someone else post they reopened at 8:25pm).
- Went to Triceratops Spin and rode it twice. Didn't have to get off after first ride. Got off after second time to see if snack cart was open (it wasn't). We rode it third time and could have stayed on and rode more, but got off about 8:25pm. Snack cart still not open and they told others that they wouldn't open until exactly 8:30pm and were serious because someone tried and was told they had to wait one more minute. DJ was getting ready for the dance party, which started at 8:30pm.
-Got popcorn in 16 oz drink cup and bottle of diet coke (had coke, diet, sprite, water, etc) right after 8:30pm. DS also got a mickey bar.
-Went back to Dinosaur and rode twice. Didn't have to get off ride between two rides, which was fun.
-Back to Dinoland for more popcorn and drinks
-Headed to Everest and rode it twice--had to go through FP line both times (ie couldn't stay on ride).
-Exited Everest and entered and watched 2nd half of Rivers of Light
-Rode Everest again one more time
-Got popcorn in 12 oz cups (ie smaller than in Dinoland) and a strawberry frozen treat in Asia
-Headed toward Pandora as we ate treats
-Got popcorn in 16oz cup and Diet Coke in 12 oz cup at cart in Discovery Island (we were putting some of the uneaten popcorn in a ziplock in our backpack)
-Got popcorn in box and drinks in bottle at cart just before bridge to Pandora
-Entered FOP at 9:50pm for first time with a somewhat long line. Rode ride and exited ride at 10:20pm. I looked around during ride, and it seemed that not all of the rooms were being used, but I didn't pay attention to how many. We did wait about 10 minutes in the line before moving to the pre-show.
-Entered FPO a second time at 10:27pm and rode and were off the ride at 11:00pm.
-Went to Navi and rode ride one time with no wait and only us in one boat with a few empty boats around us.
-Decided we were done. Got one more popcorn in box and drink to go at the cart just over the bridge as you exit Pandora.
My goal was to ride each ride three times, but FOP took too much time so only rode it twice. Probably could have done Navi three times before park closed but decided we were done (we'd gotten up at 4:30am that morning to catch our flight to Orlando). So probably could have rode everything except FOP 3 times in the time frame of the event. Didn't bother with Bugs Life, since it's a long show and never has a line during the day.

Overall we had a great time. I was surprised that we could only ride Triceratops and not Dinosaur before 8:30pm (we didn't try anywhere else, as we were trying to get everything done in one area before heading to another). I probably would not pay to do it again. I did the After Hours event at MK on March 8, 2018. Obviously MK has more rides to spread out people. Every location during the MK event where we got treats gave out popcorn in the regular cardboard popcorn container that you get when you purchase popcorn during regular hours, so I was surprised when they were giving it out in the smaller containers at several locations at AK. Also, MK had only bottled drinks, where AK had several locations with the 12 oz cups (ie the same size you get a free water on a regular park day). Since the wait for FOP is so long with the pre-shows, you really can't ride it too many times. I wanted to do three rides, but after two I was done since it took an hour to ride 2 times.

Not sure if the After Hours events at MK and/or HS give out popcorn in the standard container or have switched to the drink cups--I'd love to know if anyone has done the other events.

You could probably get more done at an After Hours event at HS if they don't make you watch the pre-shows (do they???). FOP was obviously the most popular ride, and I was hoping it would have gone faster than 30 minutes at the end of the night. It is one of the reasons I wouldn't do the event again--I think 30 minutes total is too long for one ride during an after hours event that only lasts 3 hours.
Thanks for our review. We went ahead and bought our tickets for 1/31 because we want to at least try it ourselves. The small portions of pop and popcorn is a little upsetting. We may just ask for extras and poor them in our water bottles or something.

@AngiTN
I'm not sure what the comment was or if this is what you mean....

Each theater has the pre ride shows (rooms running) for all three levels of that specific theater. (there are 4 theaters total) It makes no sense for someone (and I didn't see the comment) to say that they only run or open some rooms when that whole theater rides together. All three levels, all three rooms, all 6 rows of bikes (8 people on each side; left and right in the same level) ride the same theater ride. So 48 people will be riding that specific ride together at the same time in the same theater. And the loading CM's make sure each pre show room is full of each set of 16 people.

The only way they may shut down levels (pre show rooms) is if they ran all the theaters and they were trying to load riders together for the sake of saving time and CM energy. So if they don't have a ton of people I could see them closing level 3 pre show room and filling 1 and 2 rather than having 8 people on level one and 11 people on level 2 and 6 people on level 3. Move the level 3 people to level 1 and close level 3.

I wonder how many theaters they run for DAH. If all 4 theaters ran around the same time, 192 would be on the ride.

We did not notice any of the sections on FOP being closed/empty. First go round we were on bottom right, so couldn't see as well. Second we were top middle. I looked left, right and down each side. Didn't notice, asked DH he said the same...not saying it's not possible. Just didn't notice that. Again, the wait was really like any regular day with FP.

I'll be traveling to the Orlando area for work on Feb 19, and I'm considering doing the DAH at AK that evening. However, I'd like to wait until the week before to decide for certain based on work schedules and the weather forecast. Do you think it will sell out a week before?

I'll be traveling to the Orlando area for work on Feb 19, and I'm considering doing the DAH at AK that evening. However, I'd like to wait until the week before to decide for certain based on work schedules and the weather forecast. Do you think it will sell out a week before?
I personally don’t think it’ll sell out but if it’s something you really want to do I wouldn’t wait to buy tickets

There have been 4 DAH AK events so far, and none have sold out. In my opinion the calendar is pretty saturated and there are some things that tell me ticket sales may be light. BUT, these events can throw curveballs so I’d hate to say “you’ll be ok” and that backfire. But I think you’ll be ok. But don’t come back and yell at me if I’m wrong! :-)

You know that comment about looking around and seeing empty seats riding fop reminds me of something
The comment by a CM that they only open some rooms because the crowds were too low makes even less sense. When they run the ride all rooms go at once. It wouldn't make any difference to say you are only loading some rooms because if you opened them all some bikes would be empty. All rooms running or some rooms running it's all the same. All rooms ride at once, if that makes sense. That excuse would only make sense if they run multiple theaters
If that's makes sense. Having a hard time explaining my thought

The only thing I can think to explain this is that you need one or two (don't know how many) CMs to be in/next to the room and maybe they don't have enough scheduled when parks are not crowded. For instance, when you are at a restaurant but you have to wait on a Tuesday and there are many tables empty but really only one/two servers so they have just a certain amount of tables each.

Don't know just guessing and trying to understand it.

We did FoP at 9:30 with posted wait of 15 mins. Start to finish I bet it was 25 mins total. Walked right through and into a pre-show room.

We started in Dinoland and made our way around to EE 2x, saw Rivers of Light at 9, then to Pandora. On bus heading back now (this was a work event for DH). Popcorn and Coke in front of EE were in tiny cups, but looked like regular sized stuff was in front of Pandora.

Walk on again to FoP. 25 minutes from entering to exit. Bottled drinks and boxed popcorn outside Pandora entrance. Cups outside Everest. Each got two ice cream bars and a box of popcorn to take back with us .Chilly enough the ice cream won't melt! They also just gave my mom a hot chocolate at the snack bar outside Everest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter