Dismeet in the Smokies 2021! Y'all Come!

Choosing a name for our upcoming trip!

• Dismeet in the Smokies 2021

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Rocky Top Dismeet 2021

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Pigeon Forge Dismeet 2021

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Dosmeet in the Mountains 2021

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dis Mountain Meet 2021

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Country Bear Vacation Hoedown 2021

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hard to follow up on tiggerdad’s post. Please know Chris and Jenn our hearts are with you.

Bert and I took Ian and Blake hiking. Today the goal was Charlie’s Bunion. It is a lookout in the AT about 4 miles out from Newfound Gap. The older adults were a bit slow thus morning so we left at 8 am. Got to the gap around 8:45 and it was socked in. Hopefully in 2 hours the clouds would clear. They did.

4037E85D-A648-454B-97B9-EA7391509922.jpeg

Ian checking out the view.

328FEFDB-6C97-454F-AEBA-9EF966781470.jpeg

Selfie

30B3CB1E-39BB-4765-B32F-A36045F05085.jpeg

Dangling my feet.

201225EB-1FF0-4A6A-9F13-51DD034946E9.jpeg

We got back around 2 and beat the rain home. Took showers and the sky opened up. We waited then had some errands. First petsmart for Mallory food (great thing since she was not eating at the start of the trip). Then went to Smokey mountain knife works. It was interesting to say the least. We did buy two things. One kitchen thing for the rv and one kitchen thing for the condo.

Next we did an impromptu stop at the apple barn winery. Bought some wine. Then finally Publix. Needed dinner protein (pork chops) and Mallory drugs (hoping this helps a lot).

Dinner then over to @Bishoparc fir s’mores and bourbon tasting curtesy of @BenitaN DH.

S’mores Night
Just before everyone came over I made Philly cheesesteaks on the Blackstone. This was something I had wanted to try for a whole and I feel like they turned out tasty.

Everyone started rolling into our site around 7:45. I think just about everyone here came over (thanks so much.) My DW made a nice spread of options for folks to make s’mores or s’mores cones. @JETS70 also brought over fudge strips cookies as well.

It actually got a little cool the later into the evening we got. We’re actually hovering around 70 degrees currently.

I think the last of the crew rolled out around 11:45 so we definitely closed down the campground tonight.

Tomorrow is another Dollywood day. Goodnight all!

Oh and I forgot to mention, huge shootout to @SouthAlabama5er for repairing the cable that goes from the camper to the truck. It had gotten pinched and severed a couple of the wires.

No problem @Bishoparc helping each other out is what campers do!

My DW and myself have had a wonderful time this week, great times with some old friends and putting some faces with some friends off the board.

We didn't have any plans and we've been just winging it this week. We have a great time with @tiggerdad and his bunch at Dollywood Sunday, the steam train is by far my favorite. Other than that we've been just staying around the Campground visiting with everyone. One of my favorite thing is getting to see and talk other's campsites and some custom ideas they have on site decorations and their campers. The thunderstorms we've had today revealed a leak around the TV antenna on the 5er, I have the stuff to fix it in the morning.

We had a awesome dinner at the Old Mill this evening that was worth the hour and a half wait. Always good food there. A shout out to @bama_ed for braving the rain and rolling our awning while we where gone.

And like @tiggerdad mention our prayers go out tonight to Chris (@PaHunter) and Jenn, we are here for anything yall need. Get well soon my friend, the next milkshake from The Yard is on me!

My prayers for Chris to get well quickly & Jenn for her strength. I know Reba is missing her Daddy. I also feel like you are my Disfamily even though I can't be with y'all right now. Enjoying the pictures & trip reports. I saw on the weather channel around your area was getting some pretty heavy rains. Be safe & careful on roads covered with water - remember turn around & not drown.

De-ja vu all over again. Left the glamper a little before 10am with full intentions of doing Dollywood but nooooooo ... traffic gridlock again ! We sat in traffic for 1.5 hours and never got to the turn off of 321 to the parking area. Well, I say we never got there because we turned around. According to the Waze, it would have us another hour and a half to travel 1.5 more miles. I ain't gonna do it.
So, we went to the Old Mill area and did some tourist stuff along with having a late lunch at The Pottery.

Who's ready for a daily update with some pictures?

giphy.gif

Awright then - off we go!

Today was Dollywood day with BishopArc and DW(s). We got there about 15 minutes after "rope drop" and it was a nice relaxing visit. It's like a regional amusement park of my youth, Geauga Lake, up in northeast Ohio. Not crowded, no FastPasses to worry about, and we weren't hung up on riding every ride either. I'll go in chronological order and that means it will have to run over multiple posts. But so be it.

But first things first - puzzle progress over at Teamubr's site this morning. I didn't contribute much of anything as I barely spent any time there but progress is being made by others.

The first thing at DW we did (and BishopArc was a WONDERFUL tour guide) was to see a bluegrass show in an outdoor theater.

Very good musicians and singers. The banjo player's schtick felt a little forced at 1030am in the morning but he could play the five string and harmonize just fine. Enjoyed that greatly.

We walked through the reproduction (right behind the bluegrass theater) of Dolly's childhood house/cabin:

then went up the hill to see where the train was and check its schedule for today.

I am a live steam locomotive guy and love riding behind them smelling the smoke, ash, cinders, and oil of that living machine. But it didn't have its first run till noon (this picture was taken after the noon run which was by then removed from the board). So we walked up the hill through the mine tunnel up into the arts/crafts area up by the Eagle Mountain Sanctuary.

The blacksmith's shop was open and interesting.

Further up the hill the Eagle Sanctuary was giving a show but they rehab injured eagles and have a large netted aviary on the side of a mountain for them to fly in within a contained environment. We saw eight eagle congregated together inside the net and there were easily others there too.

An outdoor theater was offering a bird show and while we got there late after it had started, we stood outside the seating area and watch a red tailed hawk fly into the arena and land on its trainer's arm. The lady walked around with it there telling the crowd about the bird.

Before the noon train ride there was time to ride one of the rides (more on that later). So BishopArc agreed to ride the log flume ride, Daredevil Falls, with me and the girls agreed to watch us finish at the big drop and laugh at us. It was still early, not crowded, so we had a log to ourselves and I got the front row and Arc was in the second row.

Everybody arms UP!

It was a hoot going down! I got sloshed pretty good not from our ride but from the accumulated water in the log from previous riders. It sloshed down around my feet and ankles completely soaking my socks and shoes. So I "squished" for the rest of the day. But it was fun(ny). :cool1:

Then it was back down the hill past the Cinnamon Bread Grist Mill to ride the first train run of the day.

Let's roll on to the next post.

Bama Ed

While up on the hill we had heard the locomotive's whistle as it had moved to the front of the assembled passenger cars (benches no side walls). Coming out of the mine tunnel and looking to our left, there was ol' Number 70.

The locomotive was a Consolidation model which has a 2-8-0 wheel arrangement built in 1938 by Baldwin in Philadelphia. The customer who ordered it and where it first saw service was a railroad in Alaska.

We slid into a row near the back of the first car which was PERFECT and I took some photos while we sat in the station loading other passengers.

I will say that the steam locomotive is a main draw at the main tourist destination in PF/GAT (other than GSMNP) so it does its show for tourists. As such, it produces way too much smoke on purpose because it photographs better (an efficient combustion and steam mix produces almost no smoke just heat so it's clear but that doesn't show up as well in pictures). And they play the whistle a lot which I was ready for.

The train departs and starts uphill immediately next to the Grist Mill and runs up the mountain way behind the rides/park area.

I had my mp3 app out and running to record the whistle blows and will listen to them later tonight. There were several good ones - the engineer was clearly a professional sound man (again this is for the tourists like me who love that sort of thing).

Back into the station and another picture on the way out.

I got the only souvenir I wanted in a shop nearby to add to my train pin collection on my engineer's hat at home.

Let's keep this train/post rolling in the next one....

Bama Ed

Out trip so far has been just kinda wingin' it.
Sunday was arrival and set up day.
Monday was prep and and enjoying the afternoon and company of fellow Dis'ers.
Tuesday we headed in no particular direction. Hit some malls, visited some distilleries, and then, well, it rain. A lot. Then cleared up. Evening was enjoyed at Arc & Josie's site. Wonderful evening for all.
Today went with @Teamubr and family to downtown Gatlinburg.
Later afternoon went with @Bishoparc & @Teamubr to yet another distillery (starting to see the theme here) and then it started raining, surprise.
Tonight will be spent relaxing and enjoying the evening.

We got some lunch and it was a chance to sit and chat in an air-conditioned setting (no rain yet just clouds). At this point I'd like to explain the ("more about that later") comment about rides. I saw several rides that weren't on our dance card today NO WAY NO HOW. Roller coasters mainly but others too.

Not this tall thing (names don't matter to me).

Not this rocket thing either.

Arc tried to hoodwink me onto the rapids ride but as the train came into the station I saw people getting off it and they were SOAKED. So I looked over at him and said, "nope, Nope, NOPE".

We went through the Dolly Parton Museum and attended the singing show next door featuring three of her nieces.

We did see the train come back into the station area on one of its later rides and this is a nice photo.

Arc says that DW recently concluded its "Flower and Garden" type festival and they had some cute raccoon topiaries that were still on display.

As we headed for the exits this afternoon, the area just inside the entrance has its outdoor avenue covered in umbrellas which is a neat idea.

It was a great day with great company and a fun relaxing time. Back at the rv park, we chatted with the DIS folks who were out and about but then the daily hard shower came for a few minutes pushing us inside. Dinner is next (starting to just be odds and ends of leftovers which is fine). And maybe wander around again.

Thanks for reading these long multiple posts. Tomorrow we head over the mountains into North Carolina.

Bama Ed

Hiked to Laurel Falls today and boy was it crowded. Parking was crowded and the trail was crowded. After hiking the trail, we drove into Gatlinburg and did the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail. Stopped by the Sugarlands Visitor Center to get my national parks passport book stamped but the line to get into the building was too long. This was my second try to get the book stamped there but both times have been too crowded. Crowded seems to be the theme right now. After the rain stopped this afternoon, a family of ducks cruised through my campsite and visited for a moment. 090AF1B6-A7DE-45FE-8AF9-A14CDDC85A8F.jpeg090AF1B6-A7DE-45FE-8AF9-A14CDDC85A8F.jpeg87BF7285-685E-4B59-9750-C8C985653572.jpeg

Visited with Chris today when I took Jenn back over to hospital. He seemed good spirits. Still quite weak. Workup apparently still ongoing so no clear answers at this point. Thanks for prayers and keep them coming.

Prior to that, myself, my family, and @SouthAlabama5er and his wife went for breakfast at Paula Dean's Family Kitchen. Great food. Sorry, no pics. My DDs wanted to ride the large ferris wheel. Us adults decided to let food settle. DD decided to handle pics.

That's the four adults in middle sunning...
Resized_20210609_101658.jpeg

looking back to the Smoky Mountains.
Resized_20210609_101614.jpeg

Resized_20210609_101409.jpeg

After dropping Jenn ofweat the hospital we came into the park at Townsend and rode the roadway along the river to Gatlinburg. We parked and walked the strip.

Nothing really on the strip to take pics of that you can't easily find on Gatlinburg website. We did play Gatlins golf, 36 holes of it. Along the way some of the holes had some Gatlinburg history. It was originally named White Oak Flats.

I found out, apparently, in a previous life, I must of lived in White Oak Flats.
20210609_162812.jpg

Gatlin was apparently not well liked and was run out of town.
20210609_164252.jpg

I was joined by one of my friends on the course.
20210609_170101.jpg

20210609_170111.jpg

I have one pic from the get together Monday night.

My mom really like the look of the watermelon/fruit and wanted a pic so she could try to recreate it. It is the contribution from @BenitaN.
20210607_183039[1].jpg

Yesterday was our Go-Cart day. So we went to NASCAR go-cart track. The rain came in just as we were leaving, fortunately DW stayed back at the camper and was able to pull the awning in.

Today was our Dollywood day as well and we spent it doing rides today, show and walk-throughs are tomorrow. DS and I did the River Rampage, Tennessee Tornado, Blazing Fury, Wild Eagle, Fire Chaser, Mystery Mine, Drop Line, and Thunderhead. We missed the Lightning Rod since it was 180min when we passed by (dropped to 45 later) so well pick it tomorrow, and the Barnstormer was closed.

We started the day with the River Rampage, and my shoes are still wet.

Overall I liked the Wild Eagle best, DS liked the Tennessee Tornado best. They call Blazing Fury a roller coaster, but I think that's a bit of a stretch. I has three, maybe four, small drops about like the drop in Pirates in the Magic Kingdom.

We had diner at Aunt Granny's and it was mediocre at best. Alot of food, but not great food. The hot dog at Dogs N Taters was better.

You're a good man for riding those coasters, Dave. Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter