DISMEET 2023 ?

Chris, such a rich comedy gold mine in these few posts .....

For the kids who don't know, the Saturday Night Live Cheeseburger skit originated in 1978 (again, back when SNL was funny):

It was a recurring gag for a few shows. But this original skit has John Belushi, Dan Akroyd, Bill Murray, Garret Morris, Lorraine Newman, Gilda Radner, and Jane Curtain plus the guest host for that week, Robert Klein. What talent!

ED

PS - some of us were allowed to stay up late until the SNL start time of 1030pm Saturday night when we were 14yo to watch SNL.

PPS - uh oh, okay, back to DISMeet 2023 topics.

I graduated HS in 1977, we had beer partys every Saturday night to watch these jewels, it has never be the same, "um we're from france"

Summer 2023 is allegedly our trip to Alaska. DW throwing up some red flags that being gone for 60 days could affect her at home business.

Lake Lanier may become an option.

Now that we attended our very first dismeet, my husband and I would actually like to have a go at another get together. Buford for 2023 has come up as a possible place to meet. May I ask-why Buford? Really and truly just curious. I googled Buford, and I didn't see anything much to do in the area. NOW, there is NO doubt that I could be seriously missing something. Was hoping someone could fill me in. I understand that the campground looks fabulous, but I would be up for a bit of site-seeing, too. Not trying to be a wisenheimer.

@cruising spud that is north Georgia country and close ish to Atlanta. North Georgia has hiking and wineries. It is probably an hour from downtown Atlanta. I can give you lots of things to visit in Atlanta. I can also provide plenty of hiking details. Let me know if you want more info.

Spud I suggested it as it a Margaritaville Resort and most of them tend to have an active weekend activity program . It is also on Lake Lanier a Mecca for freshwater fishermen.
It would also be a reasonable trek for most likely to attend. It was only a suggestion so if you have a good local please all suggestions accepted

FtW Mike, okay, you have my mind gearing up. First, let me say-my husband and I are retired, so we have more available travel time than a lot of people. And, travel distance is naturally important. However, I really don't know what constitutes a central location for the Southern portion of this group. So, could you give me an idea? Don't get me wrong- #1 this proposed trip is still a year away/not even sure if we can attend #2 the Margaritaville campground sounds great. Now, if there was a train near-by......🚂

Paging @bama_ed he would know about trains and atlanta. I know there is a train in Blue Ridge that goes somewhere. I know not very helpful.

I realize we are a long way off but figure we can start throwing out suggestions and time frames. We were looking at a variety of locations and have come back to MARGARITAVILLE CAMPGROUND in Buford Georgia. as to time frame By Fathers day I suspect everyone's kids will be out of school so the following weekend is likely a good choice and those that need to be someplace for 4th of July will have time to get there

For a DISMeet to be promoted (and I've promoted 1 or 2 (or 3 or 4 or 5 ....)) dates and location need to be locked in and promoted a year in advance or so. I haven't seen exact target dates or an exact location.

Paging @bama_ed he would know about trains and atlanta. I know there is a train in Blue Ridge that goes somewhere. I know not very helpful.

Blue Ridge in north GA is a diesel ride, Kris, and I don't cross the street for a diesel train ride (if I have a choice). I'm a steam guy. Give me the classic steam train ride if possible. But if you've never ridden steam, diesel is a start.

I saw Arc's Harrison Bay State Park (Chattanooga, TN area) thread and booked into that for June 2023. A couple reasons are: 1) I've camped at Harrison Bay and liked it (albeit a long time ago) and Arc says it's much nicer since I stayed there; 2) there is lots to do in the Chattanooga area (caves, mountains, Civil War history, ride the rapids, aquariums, steam train rides, steam train rides, steam train rides); 3) the Chattanooga area is not the Atlanta area.

Re: #3, I lived in Atlanta for 3 years and camped on Lake Lanier a couple times since then. Buford is far from LOTS of tourist type stuff. Stone Mountain, a Braves game, the Atlanta Aquarium, and stuff is further away than I like and more traffic involved than I like. The north GA mountains aren't far but summer there is not the fall (nicer).

ED

PS - I'll do Chattanooga in early June but further south or later in the summer is too darned hot for me to enjoy. My opinion is worth what you paid for it (zero). But can Chattanooga/Harrison Bay be an option for a DISMeet 2023 around Arc's dates?

PS - I'll do Chattanooga in early June but further south or later in the summer is too darned hot for me to enjoy. My opinion is worth what you paid for it (zero). But can Chattanooga/Harrison Bay be an option for a DISMeet 2023 around Arc's dates?
If anyone does want to do that (or just want to join for the trip, there are still (surprisingly) several sites available in campground area A (2 of them being waterfront) and lots of availability in the other portions of the park. DW and I stayed there on our way back from the Pigeon Forge meet and didn't want to leave. Only downfall is it doesn't have sewer hookups but the views were incredible. As Ed mentioned, plenty to do in Chatanooga and not too far of a drive to PF area if you wanted to do that for a day.

No sewer would work for a long weekend, but not much longer of a stay. Wife and I prefer using our own shower rather then a bath house. We have Disney RV trip in 2023 in July, but if my WFH status continues I could look at a June trip even if I work for part of it.

I am new to dismeets. Gettysburg was our first dismeet ever. I would like to make a suggestion or two about future dismeets (I'm not talking about already planned trips).

As I see it-

#1-The people on this board like Disney. Which is why, every few years, people gather at Disney.

#2-Disboarders met one another and realized that they actually liked each other.

#3-Because of this, there are additional non-Disney gatherings. Some a bit spontaneous, and others more planned.

#4-I am guessing that the spontaneous dismeets (example-someone is headed to a state park for a long weekend and puts out a group invite) mostly draw people in the more immediate area (this would make sense).

#5-The spontaneous, shorter trips are excellent ways to use only a few days of vacation time and still get to be with friends/meet new people. The longer, annual dismeets give everyone a chance to plan and get together.

#6-So, let’s just say that about every three years there is an annual dismeet in Disney World. That leaves two years between Disney meets. Perhaps one of these two meets could be in Pigeon Forge or someplace similar. I say Pigeon Forge because it has several good campgrounds, seems to be a central location for most of us, and has a lot to do. Now, the meet could be somewhere else, or rotate through a few central locations, but I hope you see what I mean.

#7-And, that leaves another in-between year for more spontaneity.

Thoughts?

I just ran across this thread ... has anyone set any dates ??? We would be good for Margaritaville in 2023. We do have reservations during the 4th of July for that year so, dates prior to or after that would be good for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter