DISCruise 1.0 - 8/24-8/31/2013 Royal Caribbean Cruise Oasis of the Seas

Well, DUH! No wonder the prices for quads were lower. Kids are back in school then and who pulls their kids out the first week of school? Not very well thought out date change!

Well, DUH! No wonder the prices for quads were lower. Kids are back in school then and who pulls their kids out the first week of school? Not very well thought out date change!

The issue with the earlier date is that we could get very few cabins that sleep 3 or 4 guests (wasn't about price, we just couldn't get any!). Therefore we couldn't accomodate very many families at all. This is true for most of the summer sailings.

In many areas, school actually doesn't go back until after Labour Day.

If there is one thing we have learned, there will never be the perfect date for everyone. While the end of June may have been more ideal, if we couldn't get cabins to sleep families it wouldn't have worked anyway.

Nice, get to celebrate my birthday in St. Thomas and finally get to go to a DIS event. Only problem it's over a year away. Anyone know how to modify the space time continuum?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

It does seem like a long way away, but I need the time to save some money for drinks on board...:laughing:

We will need to as well. Normally have aback that we put pocket change in and use that for extra fun money on trips. Amazing how much change adds up over a year or so.

I'm sorry if you think this was not well thought out.

We actually spent months working with RCCL on trying to get a group date that we thought would benefit the most people.

As Tracey mentioned, we had a big issue getting quad space staterooms on any sail date over the summer. So while it might have been a 'better' date for some it would have been prohibitive for familes of 3 or more to travel. They would have had to book 2 staterooms instead of one and in some cases pay a single supplement on the second stateroom.

Some dates were so expensive (double and more the pricing we have now) that even if we had the perfect date and the perfect inventory we would have shut many people out of affording to go.

The issue with the earlier date is that we could get very few cabins that sleep 3 or 4 guests (wasn't about price, we just couldn't get any!). Therefore we couldn't accomodate very many families at all. This is true for most of the summer sailings.

If there is one thing we have learned, there will never be the perfect date for everyone. While the end of June may have been more ideal, if we couldn't get cabins to sleep families it wouldn't have worked anyway.

Thanks, Tracy. When I heard Pete say the dates had changed because "we had some pricing issues and we decided to switch the dates so it would be better for people with kids" I thought that meant it was about pricing.

To those families who can go--have a great time. No way we can pull kids out of school the first week.

looking at the deck plan, it seems there are two banks of elevators - one set seems to be sort of towards the aft, and the other set between fore and midship....
anyone know if one or the other location is preferred?

i know there are cabins that have the bed by the balcony and others that have the sofa by the balcony...

i think i'd prefer having the sofa by the balcony...

is there a reason i might not like that configuration?

okie dokie - i've submitted my reservation request!!!!!

woo hoo!!!!!! i am sooooooooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!

only about 401 days to go or something like that!!

party: party: party: party: party:

bkoehl said:
Rats! We were thinking about changing our Aug 2013 Fantasy sailing to this one but with it overlapping with the start of school we are out. Bummer. :sad1:

Hi Becky!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

NWOhioAngela said:
Kids are back in school then and who pulls their kids out the first week of school?!

Not us, that's for sure! I have a friend with 5 kids; she did it last year for a family event & said it was an awful decision.....Kids has a rough time when pulling them out when school first starts.

DSNYDREAMER said:

Where is that? Whoever they are - they are lucky!! I've always been in school in August. So is DD. (Well, except when I went to Ohio State - we started at the END of September!!!)

For us, pricing is higher than what we are used to on DCL as well - We currently have 2 cruises scheduled on the Fantasy in balcony rooms (cat 5E) & each sailing is about $600 less give or take than this RCI sailing total for the 3 of us comparing a balcony cabin also, not to mention the higher OBC (over $400) we receive for each sailing (covering tips, Palo, & more....) as well.

For all of you that can go, have a great time!!! We'll still be in PCC 4.0, then again on the Fantasy on Spring Break in March, then again in Oct., then hopefully Spring Break 2014, then summer break Aug 2014......

You all enjoy - I know you will ;)

roomthreeseventeen said:
Silverfox, most of the Northeast goes back the Wednesday after Labor Day.

Lucky!!!!

Never got that lucky in Ohio & neither is DD in Florida. Always thought it was kinda dumb to to school for a few days then be off for Labor Day. Would be easier to just go back Tues or Wed after like y'all!!!

Do I have to pay for a 1 year old? Do I need a cabin for 3 or more or can we fit in a cabin for 2? Am I crazy for even thinking about bringing a 1 year old?! :) (She'll be almost 14 months actually.)

auroralark said:
Do I have to pay for a 1 year old? Do I need a cabin for 3 or more or can we fit in a cabin for 2? Am I crazy for even thinking about bringing a 1 year old?! :) (She'll be almost 14 months actually.)

Better to bring her than leave her at the pier. (podcast from 5/9 - news)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter