Discovery Cove Trip Report – June 9th

epicureangirl

Mouseketeer

I don’t want to give you a play by play of the day but had some things I thought were worth mentioning.

I heard a tip that I should come a ½ hour before opening time and did. There was already a long line up by this time so I could have even come earlier. The earliest dolphin swim available by the time we checked in was 11:50 and it was absolutely pouring rain by then so it was delayed a bit. Apparently if you contact DC a couple of days in advance, you can request a specific dolphin swim time. I would say the earlier the better – I found the weather to be much better and more predictable in the early morning hours.

The stingray lagoon was much better than I expected. I enjoyed it even more than the snorkeling area. My 6 year old DD liked this more too – she got a kick out of the stingrays and I think she liked that it was more shallow and had a very fun time in this area.

The lazy river was tranquil and beautiful in the morning, but during the afternoon it was VERY crowded. I disagree with reviews that say there are no crowds… it had more of a resort feel than a tranquil paradise.

The bird sanctuaries were wonderful. I was surprised that I enjoyed these areas so much. The birds were spectacular looking and you could have several perched on you at a time. My daughter had a chance to pet a small deer, although it seemed very shy except at feeding time.

The meal was served cafeteria style but was delicious and the portions were good. My DD and I had the fajitas and my DH had a roast beef sandwich. The selection of desserts were good and we were pleased with the quality (and quantity). I was stumped to find coffee, but if you ask the cashier he will get a cup for you – perfect with the Oreo cheesecake!

During lunch a musician was singing and told some lame jokes which I could have done without. I rather enjoyed the peace and beauty of this place and found the singer to add a very resort-loungy feel to the place. Oh well. The staff really kept on top of cleaning the tables and were very friendly and efficient.

We didn’t find it to be a hard sell on the dolphin photos, so had no complaints there. We only bought one photo of our daughter but was surprised that we rec’d a complimentary family photo that they took when we entered the park. That photo is wonderful, even better than many of our dolphin photos. A classy touch.

Was it worth the money? My husband thinks it was worth about $100. I am really glad we did it and had a wonderful day with great memories. My daughter had a great time making sandcastles and we have some wonderful photos and video clips from our day there. No regrets at all. But now I’ve done it I don’t feel I need to do it again. I’m completely satisfied. It’s a beautiful place but I think my next search for paradise will be somewhere in the Caribbean.

I was wondering if you thought it might have been crowded because of the rain delay? I'm planning to go next summer on July 4th and made that decision because I felt of all the parks this was the only one that only allowed a certain number to enter.
Sounds like you were disappointed with Discovery Cove!

Anybody else ever go on a Holiday and if so what was your experience?

CJ

I don't think the rain contributed that much. It rained for about an hour so it didn't put too much of a crimp in everyones day (in my opinion). DC is quite small actually and I imagine if they're near their full occupancy numbers that they are crowded. Not Disney line-up for an hour kind of crowded, just not the tranquil paradise (no people near you) that other board members have described. DC was unable to tell me what the busiest or slowest day was when I booked (and I only booked about 10 days in advance) so I can't tell you how many were in the park that day. I can tell you that almost all the beach chairs I saw were spoken for. Also, the snorkelling area and stingray lagoon had lots of people in -- you did have to make sure you didn't bump into anyone.

I LOVED my day at DS but I mention the fantastic along with the could-be-improved (ie the lounge singer and crowds in the lazy river) because I think it's so expensive people should really know what it might be like if they book at a busy time (assuming it was near full occupancy). From Florida you could spend a little more and head somewhere in the Caribbean -- I might try that next time!

If I would have only been in the lazy-river in the morning I WOULD have described it as peacful, no crowds and beautiful beyond words. If I liked lounge music I would have told you the singer a lunch was fantastic too. :)

Also, I didn't do a full trip report on DS as others have done, there were many things that made that day special and much is due to whom I spent my time with there and seeing my daughter discover so many things that day.

Cheers.

Originally posted by epicureangirl

Apparently if you contact DC a couple of days in advance, you can request a specific dolphin swim time. I would say the earlier the better – I found the weather to be much better and more predictable in the early morning hours.

I e-mailed Discovery Cove to ask about this and this was the reply I got:

"Thank you for contacting Discovery Cove. Your dolphin swim time will actually be assigned at check in."

Yes, you do need to get there early. We got there before the doors even opened... and got a 10:05 swim. We were probably the 5th or 6th in line.

Maybe phoning their 1-800 number and talking to a customer service rep would be more helpful. My husband seems to think that it was on his e-mail confirmation of our reservation that said swims were on a first-come first-serve basis, but if you needed a specific time you could call a day ahead to reserve it with one of their agents. I don't know what kind of 'reason' you would have to give, but it does sound like it is possible.

Yes, early is the only way to go. I've noticed on more and more of my trips, that a huge crowd of people is at the gate 30 minutes before the park opens.
It appears that alot more people are aware of getting to the park early than you would think.
Therefore, it appears that getting there 1 hour before opening is the better idea.

we went last saturday - was fantastic - DC people told be to be there an hour early to ensure a choice of swim times - so we were an hour early and while not having carte blanche we got an early swim which is what I wanted so 1) I could avoid the afternoon rains and 2) so that if my kid liked it I could get her another dolphin swim before the day was out.

I didn't find the place crowded at all - I mean I have had an entire cove, bay or inlet to myself before and while DC was certainly not some secluded private place with a cabana girl serving mai tai's - I didn't find the head count a problem - in fact it was so little of a problem that I was able to book my girl a second dolphin swim before the end of the day - and it was well worth the money - the original swim for my kid was 229 - the add on was another 100 - and frankly just to spoil the heebee geebies out of my daughter and see her smiling ear to ear all day relaxed out of her gourd... I'd have paid twice that amount - it was for her a very special day - for me I am always trip planner and plan executer so I am more caught up in making sure my daughter is in oblivion as consistently as possible - with the crowds at the MK sometimes that is dificult to achieve - the best thing to do sometimes at MK is just leave and go hang at the contemporary pool - but at DC that is totally different - I didn't find it in the least bit difficult to make sure my daughter felt special, that her time was meaningfully occupied and that she experienced a special day - we spent so long just snorkeling in the ray pool, and tropical fish pool that we never even finished seeing the rest of the place like the river or the aviary - we will be making DC a part of all our Disworld trips from now on - easily worth the money - bought the tape (something like 68 bucks) and another 100 bucks of pictures - memorabilia (maybe another 50 - 60) - a slew of liquids, waters, a margarita or two, cokes in kids pretend coconut shells - smoothies etc...

I have e-mailed DC cust. service a couple of times since starting to plan our day there. I have always received an email response within an hour or so of sending my ?? to them. Weird ??'s such as "can you snorkel with braces" "can you snorkel with glasses?" Yes to the first and they have a solution for the second. I am looking forward to this day even more after reading the trip reports here! (didn't know a 2nd dolphin swim might be possible-neat!) I booked one of those pkg. trips from US and on the DC voucher it says that they start taking dolphin swim res. at 8 am! wow...looks like that might be the only day I make sure we're up and out early!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter