Discovery Cove - rain/hurricane advice?

Raya

DIS Veteran
Despite having a clear hurricane policy that says you can cancel anytime a named storm is projected to hit near Orlando or Tampa, I was laughed at by the Discover Cove operator when I tried to cancel and/or reschedule. I'm being told they'll still be open - even if it's raining. What should I know about going in the rain and wind?

The storm path isn't clearly defined yet. The chances of a direct hit aren't good but the current forecast says 70% chance of thunderstorms. We're scheduled to get there at 7:20 in the morning, so hopefully we'll be in the water early. What else can do to prepare for the weather?

I haven't been to Discovery Cove in the rain, and it's tough to say what the weather may do that day. We were in Orlando last month when a hurricane went by off the west coast of Florida, and it was sunny most of the day and barely even rained. We're planning to be at Aquatica on Sunday and are waiting until tomorrow to make the call on what to do.

I think the worst part would be not being able to get dry in between activities. I'd also note that you are allowed to reschedule Discovery Cove once without paying anything other than the price difference, if any, for the new day, regardless of the weather.

They close everything during thunderstorms. We had a cabana but people can wait it out in the locker rooms. I’m not sure where else, maybe the gift shops?

Honestly, call back. Or email. We have always had exceptional customer service via email to switch dates.

Honestly, call back. Or email. We have always had exceptional customer service via email to switch dates.
I called back. It took 45 minutes on the phone and 3 operators to get the refund. They kept telling me that the park wasn't going to close/they were in normal operating status. I kept having to repeat that the policy says a named storm is projected to hit Tampa or Orlando, not that the park is not in operating status. It felt like a long/hard fight, but I kept referencing their "peace of mind" policy and eventually the 3rd manager processed the refund. I have to say I'm really suprised at how bad the service was. Each person I talked to made me feel like I was being crazy or unreasonable for wanting them to adhere to the published policy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter