Discovery cove - questions...

asafko

Mouseketeer
We are heading back to Disney next August and like to add something different to each trip. I am considering Discovery Cover for the all day package with Dolphin swim. If you have been there or know about it...is it worth the money? We went on a cruise a few years back and were supposed to go snorkeling but they cancelled it due to weather. The kids really had looked forward to it so I was hoping to give them that experience. Also, they are very concerned about animal welfare - is this something that is actually cruel to the dolphins? They do not want to go to Seaworld due to their reputation. Thanks for any input.

FYI: SeaWorld owns Discovery Cove

They are across the street from each other.

Yeah if your kids have an issue with seaworld then probably should skip Discovery Cove. DC is owned and run by seaworld and includes a ticket to seaworld with the price of the DC ticket.

We have always enjoyed DC, but if your kids have an issue with SeaWorld, you should probably skip it.

DC covers SW and aquatic for a full week when you go there for 1 day. If you are not going to use those facilities, I would not spend that much money on DC for just one day. Think it closes at 5pm. A great day but way too much money for a family to go for just one day. Unless money is no object.

We went quite a few years ago and made a vacation of it. The ticket includes Sea World and Aquatica water park (and free parking at each). Plus it was like $25 to add on Busch Gardens. We stayed in Orlando for a few days and then visited my brother in Tampa and spent two days at BG. So we got about 6 “park days” of value out of the tickets.

As a one day add on to a Disney trip, I don’t think I would do it. But we are also the type who like to stay onsite and relax in the “Disney bubble”.

Discovery Cove is awesome. I can’t recommend it enough.
We are heading back to Disney next August and like to add something different to each trip. I am considering Discovery Cover for the all day package with Dolphin swim. If you have been there or know about it...is it worth the money? We went on a cruise a few years back and were supposed to go snorkeling but they cancelled it due to weather. The kids really had looked forward to it so I was hoping to give them that experience. Also, they are very concerned about animal welfare - is this something that is actually cruel to the dolphins? They do not want to go to Seaworld due to their reputation. Thanks for any input.
Imho DC is very much worth it. Fantastic park.

Is it cruel to the dolphins? I’m not a marine biologist or animal psychologist , I don’t know for certain. When I tried researching this before our first visit I encountered a lot of well meaning but near hysterical people who were big on empathy and heavy on the spin and distortion.

My conclusion was that in a society that relies heavily on industrially farmed animal products the SW animals are better cared for by far then the vast majority of animals we make use of. Plus Seaworlds rescue and rehabilitation program is excellent and seems irreplaceable. In practice for some people boycotting Seaworld is easy but donating to a rescue and rehab center is hard.

DC no longer includes Seaworld in the ticket, it is an add-on now.
We love DC, we don't do the dolphin swim - did it once many years ago. Now we just go for the "resort day". We book a cabana over by the aviary and spend the entire day relaxing, enjoying the water, free snacks, lunch and surroundings. It is a beautiful park.
I'm not going to get into the whole animal welfare thing, but if it wasn't for these parks most of these animals would be dead. Seaworld are the ones called when whales beach themselves and sealife needs rescuing or rehabilitation.

Hi like pp Discovery Cove is owned by SW. We did DC two years a go with the dolphin encounter. It was an amazing experience. I also am not a marine biologist but these dolphins were very happy and playful. The trainers that worked with them have a connection. It is a beautiful park and a wonderful day trip if you can fit in your budget. We are doing it again this year, we got a good deal with the other parks included. What they are doing now is you have a choice to do just DC or add on 2 or 3 parks to the package. We are going to just do the SW parks this year.

I have a cat rescue so I am very concerned about animal welfare. I believe SW made some mistakes with their Orcas in captivity. However, their marine rescue program is amazing. Without this there would be many more marine animals dead or injured for sure. I think there are good intentions just not always executed well.

You could have your children do more research on the positive things about SW's programs for marine life. There are positive things too.

DC is incredible. I firmly believe those dolphins are well loved and their care is exceptional.

You don't have to swim with them if you don't want - the resort itself is worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter