Discovery Cove first timer questions

TivoQueen

Mouseketeer
I booked Discovery Cove for my family of 5 for November 18th. I have been to Florida a few times during Thanksgiving and the weather has been beautiful, in the 70's and sunny. I have also been there when it hasn't been that warm. I know they offer wetsuits at DC, but I was wondering if the water there is heated? We are so excited about going and enjoying the day there, but I am really worried about the water being too cold to enjoy, especially if the weather isn't so warm. My next question is what are crowds like in November? I know they only allow so many people in the park daily, but still wondered if it would be near capacity or not. I would appreciate any tips anyone had on DC. Thanks

Let me assure you that you have nothing to worry about as far as crowds go. We were there on January 1st (New Years Day) and even on the holiday, crowds were not an issue. Tons of chairs to relax on, lots of places to sit at the restaurant.......very relaxing, very un-congested. :thumbsup2

As for the water temperature, yes...the water is heated if temperatures warrant. I can tell you that the water (lazy river, grand reef) was fabulously warm even during the winter months. The exception is the dolphin pool......it is kept cooler by design (at a temp preferable to the dolphins) but even it isn't "cold".

You will love DC....its absolutely a wonderful place.

Subscribing....we're looking at the 26th of November for Discovery Cove....

very interested myself as we are planning to be there on Nov 18th as well, haven't bought the tickets yet but that is our target date right now.

We were at DC over Veteran's Day 2011, and were comfortable. The Grand Reef with all the tropical fish and rays is cooler than the Lazy River, but even though I'm a wimp about cold water (it takes me about five minutes to get into my local pool), the wetsuit will keep you comfortable. We were there last Friday, when the temps were around 90, and we still kept our wetsuits on, since we spend so much time watching the fish.
I spent about the same amount of money for a snorkel excursion off Key West while on a cruise, and feel that Discovery Cove is better value. It's a whole day, unlimited food and beverages (including adult ones) are included, they don't reuse the snorkels, and the conditions are consistent. Yes, I know it's a fake reef, but I like not worrying about accidently brushing against the coral and killing it.
Plan on staying the full day. We like parking ourselves in a chair near the dolphin pool after we've showered at the end of the day, and watch the dolphins splashing around after they're "off duty".

We went the weekend after thanksgving last year. The crowds were not bad, rememberl, only 1000 ppl per day are let in.
The weather was kind of cool, but we just drank hot chocolate, and sat in the sun. The ;azy river was warm . I am a wimp in cool water, but I still got in the snorkel lagoon 2x. It just too a few minutes to get used to,,, and I was so entranced by all the fis, rays, etc, I was not cold.
I did snorkel at John Pennekamp in key largo as well. I liked John Pennekamp better, but for the convenience, discovery cove cant be beat.

I went in the summer when it was sold out and it did not feel crowded at all. So, I wouldn't worry about crowds. :goodvibes

We went Nov 12th last year and the water wasn't cold at all. It was a wonderful experience! We all (me DH, DD 17 and DD 14) loved it and can't wait to go back! We kept our wet suits on all day and we were never cold (mind you we do live in North West England) We loved the laid back feeling of the place, we never felt hurried or felt that the place was over crowded. My one tip would be don't wait until the very end of the day to go and have your shower! We went about 30-45 mins before and by the time we were leaving the shower area it felt a little bit over crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter