Discontinuing production of your favorite products

bballmom56

DIS Veteran
Lately it seems that all the products that work for me have been taken off the market by the companies that produce them. I guess they are no longer profitable for the company, but jeez, I am having such trouble finding suitable replacements. So far, the list of items includes, Drixoral - the only allergy med. that really worked for my son's allergies, Pacquin's hand cream - used by my mother ever since I was little, so I used it too and have had trouble finding a replacement that worked on my skin as well, Sensitive Eyes contact lens cleaner and solution for hard contact lenses (they keep telling me to use the Boston products, but they irritate my eyes), and now the only blow dryer I have found that works well on my fine, thin difficult hair, the Conair 1600. I can only find it in multi-packs for sale to hotels, etc. I have three other blow dryers here that I have tried and they don't get hot enough on the low setting and the high setting just puts my hair in knots and leaves it looking awful.

I was never high maintenance before. Anyone else have this problem of companies discontinuing the products that work for you?

YES!!! All the time....

For me, I can usually attribute it to the fact that I am willing to spend a bit more for what I feel are higher quality products. There are always TONS of what I call 'serve-n-save bologna' products, but the really good one that I liked disappears!

Right now I am wondering just what I am going to do when my last bottle of my favorite Downy fabric softener runs out. A few years ago they discontinued the great Ulta Downy... I finally found another Downy product that I like, that does not smell hideous and immediately give me a sinus reaction.... (Olfactory assault!!! :rotfl2:) And, now that has just disappeared.

Happens to me ALL the time.

PS: I too have hair and hair-dryer issues..... the same issue you describe.
The ones off the shelf in the regular retailers are just cheap and awful.
I need one with controls for both the heat and the blower, so I can use high heat with low fan....
I went to a good beauty supply and spent a FORTUNE on a great hair dryer. (have you tried checking a good supply store?)
It is now starting to show it's age.... I am hoping against all hope that I am able to find this again, or one like it.

So far, the list of items includes, Drixoral - the only allergy med. that really worked for my son's allergies

I hated it when they discontinued that too. That worked better than anything else.

:thumbsup2 All the time! I find it's mostly beauty products, and specifically hair-care products. Fortunately, I have come up with a few solutions:

1) Look for the product in the US (we're in Canada, about an hour's drive from the border)

2) Look online

3) Check the packaging; sometimes they rename or simply put the exact same product in a differently colored/shaped package (e.g. Electrasol dish detergent became Finish, Dove shampoo bottles completely changed, but it's the exact same shampoo inside, which isn't very obvious).

If any of my US friends REALLY miss something that's been discontinued "down there", I'll look for it "up here"! Feel free to PM me :).

I'm still bummed they got rid of jello pudding pops and those ice cream sandwiches made with brownies for the outside. The Jello Pudding pops cut me deep man....

Oh, oh, oh! Can I get in on this discussion? In fact, my family is tired of me complaining...

In the last 6 years, I've been through at least three types of deodorant. Everytime I find one I like, within a year or so, the company decides it's not what their customers want anymore. I've been through Arrid Extra Gel, Degree Soft Solid, and Secret Soft Solid. I've got another type of Secret I use now that's similar to the last one, and I'm hoping they don't quit marketing it.

My toothbrush...ugh... I prefer to use one with a small head...that's become obsolete, apparently...

I used a L'Oreal kids shampoo for my DD that was discontinued. No one in the area seems to carry any sort of L'Oreal for kids anymore.

Recently, PurinaOne changed their formula. One of our dogs would only eat the Lamb & Rice formula...now he won't touch it! That's the only dog food he would eat...so now we're stuck trying to figure out what he's going to eat.

My biggest current gripe, though (and probably my biggest gripe because it's not my dog and he will eat something if he's hungry enough...he just doesn't like it) is my shampoo. Less than two years ago, I tried a sample of Sunsilk Hydra TLC. I LOVED it. A couple of months ago, it was listed as "deleted", meaning "It's gone and we're not getting any more." I pathetically carried my empty shampoo and conditioner bottles into Walmart to beg a manager to order a case of each -- I'd buy them all. When scanned...why...there's already a case on the way! When they arrived, the packaging had changed, there was a designer stylist's name on it, and the price went up almost $2 per bottle. :scared1:

I bought a bottle of the shampoo... I still had conditioner. I went into Family Dollar and found 6 bottles of the old formula conditioner (and one bottle of shampoo) marked down. I bought every bottle they had (except one...which was way out of reach. I told the lady that I'd buy it, too, but she was completely disinterested in my hair care plight.)

Now? They have decided to stop selling the new and "improved" version of Sunsilk. No Walmart in a 100 mile radius has it...and if you ask Sunsilk, they tell you to try Walmart OR order it for $6/bottle + S&H from drugstoreonline.com. When you're used to buying it for roughly $2.50 per bottle...uh...no thanks.

So, now...I'm using Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Creme (plus the Sunsilk conditioner until I run out of that.) I like the Fructis...but I still looked at Mom when I bought the most recent bottle and speculated stock-piling it for when they decide to discontinue it.

Yep...if there's something (esp. hair care wise) that you think shouldn't be sold anymore...tell me so I can start buying it. That ought to guarantee it gets pulled from the shelf...

Nothing's like the betrayal of loving a product and then having it discontinued...I always feel like, "Huh? Am I the *only* consumer who loved this?" I feel your pain! I'm still mourning the Marathon Bar...

I feel like it happens to me all the time.

My most recent discontinuation was some hair molding gel called Catfight (made by Tigi). I've probably spent hundreds trying to find a replacement that is just right and it hasn't happened yet.

Many years ago I used L'Oreal's Hydra something shampoo. The changed the packaging and the formula so I had to stop using that.

Grape PopTarts--more my kids' gripe but still. They now make a Wild Grape but it's not the same.

Haagen Dazs Rasperry Creme Sorbet Bars. They were lo-cal, creamy, and best yet they tasted "real." They are gone.

So, what was the active ingredient in Drixoral. It's hard to believe that there isn't another OTC med that is using it.

My most recent example is a high-quality, but relatively low-quality artisan-style bread at Stop & Shop. They have loads of fresh-baked white breads (I include Ciabatta and bagettes in that, since they aren't whole-grain breads), but the healthiest of the better breads, fugettaboutit.

There was a specific variety of Reddenbacher popcorn we liked, Natural Light. Still junk food but less junky than most of their other varieties. We've had to switch to Natural Butter - bleh.

It sucks liking something that too few other people like enough. :(

My husband and I pretty much guarantee if we like a particular food product, it'll go off the shelves.

Off the top of my head I can think of three things I'm missing right now, but I can probably come up with a much larger list later -- Quaker oats premium banana nut bread, Kraft pasta salad ranch and bacon, and vanilla diet pepsi OR coke, but preferably pepsi. I've tried making my own diet vanilla, but it's not even close to the same. :sad2:

I HATE when they do this. I have this lip thing that turns lipstick orange. After YEARS of trying lipstick I finally found one that worked from Aveda. They discontinued it and I haven't found anything since :mad:

Bras--this has to be the WORST. You find a bra you like and when you need to get more, they have been discontinued. I hate bra shopping.

Oil of Olay used to have a REALLY nice line of cosmetics. I LOVED their products, all discontinued.

Target's brand, Archer Farms, used to have a White Chocolate Raspberry cereal that was really good, discontinued.

Schwan's used to have a caramel apple popcicle that was to die for, no idea why they discontinued that, it was the most popular thing on the truck.

Bath and Body Works Toasted Hazelnut. :sad1:

BAth and Body works juniper breeze.

Well at least in stores. They carry the old school stuff online or once a year at the huge sales. I LOAD up when I get gift cards at xmas from online. Sometimes I can catch in outlets.

PS: I too have hair and hair-dryer issues..... the same issue you describe.
The ones off the shelf in the regular retailers are just cheap and awful.
I need one with controls for both the heat and the blower, so I can use high heat with low fan....
I went to a good beauty supply and spent a FORTUNE on a great hair dryer. (have you tried checking a good supply store?)
It is now starting to show it's age.... I am hoping against all hope that I am able to find this again, or one like it.

Yes, yes, yes - higher heat, low fan!! So far, I have only looked online, but will try your suggestion. Otherwise I will just bite the bullet and buy the 4-pack for $60.00+ of my Conair 1600.

:thumbsup2 All the time! I find it's mostly beauty products, and specifically hair-care products. Fortunately, I have come up with a few solutions:

1) Look for the product in the US (we're in Canada, about an hour's drive from the border)

I've done that online. Got a replica of the Drixoral from a Canadian online pharmacy for an obscene amount of money.

2) Look online

BTDT

3) Check the packaging; sometimes they rename or simply put the exact same product in a differently colored/shaped package

I've done that by searching for products with the ingredients of the product I've lost. I actually found a replacement hand cream by searching the main ingredients of the Pacquin's and came up with a pretty good replacement called Plexo. But since it doesn't seem to be that big, it will probably be gone soon, too. Guess I should stock up now.

If any of my US friends REALLY miss something that's been discontinued "down there", I'll look for it "up here"! Feel free to PM me :).

Thanks!

I went into Family Dollar and found 6 bottles of the old formula conditioner (and one bottle of shampoo) marked down. I bought every bottle they had (except one...which was way out of reach. I told the lady that I'd buy it, too, but she was completely disinterested in my hair care plight.)
:lmao: I hear ya!

So, what was the active ingredient in Drixoral. It's hard to believe that there isn't another OTC med that is using it.

dexbrompheniramine maleate

Kraft pasta salad ranch and bacon

oooo, I remember that. It was really good so of course they discontinue it :confused3

Bras--this has to be the WORST. You find a bra you like and when you need to get more, they have been discontinued. I hate bra shopping.

Ah, yes. Also like finding jeans that fit you well, but forget going back to get the same size and style again. It doesn't exist any longer.

Sigh, at least I know I'm not alone

I'm still mourning the Marathon Bar...
My wife asked me just last night if I ever see Mars Bars anymore. It turned into a candy bar discussion and I asked her if she ever ate a Marathon Bar. I haven't seen one of those since I was a kid in the 80's.

I work for a manufacturer and I can't even keep up with all the changes. Not only do the products come and go, the manufacturers also buy and sell the lines all the time.

Oh, oh, oh! Can I get in on this discussion? In fact, my family is tired of me complaining...

In the last 6 years, I've been through at least three types of deodorant. Everytime I find one I like, within a year or so, the company decides it's not what their customers want anymore. I've been through Arrid Extra Gel, Degree Soft Solid, and Secret Soft Solid. I've got another type of Secret I use now that's similar to the last one, and I'm hoping they don't quit marketing it.

My toothbrush...ugh... I prefer to use one with a small head...that's become obsolete, apparently...

I used a L'Oreal kids shampoo for my DD that was discontinued. No one in the area seems to carry any sort of L'Oreal for kids anymore.

Recently, PurinaOne changed their formula. One of our dogs would only eat the Lamb & Rice formula...now he won't touch it! That's the only dog food he would eat...so now we're stuck trying to figure out what he's going to eat.

My biggest current gripe, though (and probably my biggest gripe because it's not my dog and he will eat something if he's hungry enough...he just doesn't like it) is my shampoo. Less than two years ago, I tried a sample of Sunsilk Hydra TLC. I LOVED it. A couple of months ago, it was listed as "deleted", meaning "It's gone and we're not getting any more." I pathetically carried my empty shampoo and conditioner bottles into Walmart to beg a manager to order a case of each -- I'd buy them all. When scanned...why...there's already a case on the way! When they arrived, the packaging had changed, there was a designer stylist's name on it, and the price went up almost $2 per bottle. :scared1:

I bought a bottle of the shampoo... I still had conditioner. I went into Family Dollar and found 6 bottles of the old formula conditioner (and one bottle of shampoo) marked down. I bought every bottle they had (except one...which was way out of reach. I told the lady that I'd buy it, too, but she was completely disinterested in my hair care plight.)

Now? They have decided to stop selling the new and "improved" version of Sunsilk. No Walmart in a 100 mile radius has it...and if you ask Sunsilk, they tell you to try Walmart OR order it for $6/bottle + S&H from drugstoreonline.com. When you're used to buying it for roughly $2.50 per bottle...uh...no thanks.

So, now...I'm using Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Creme (plus the Sunsilk conditioner until I run out of that.) I like the Fructis...but I still looked at Mom when I bought the most recent bottle and speculated stock-piling it for when they decide to discontinue it.

Yep...if there's something (esp. hair care wise) that you think shouldn't be sold anymore...tell me so I can start buying it. That ought to guarantee it gets pulled from the shelf...

Here In Jersey every store carries L'Oreal kids, but I am having a hard time finding the Toy Story ones, I have tons of coupons for them, but I just can't find them.

DD is only 33lbs and its 5 and a half and is currently seeing DRs about the issue, the best I could do is try to fatten her up. She really loved the Chips A Hoy cookies that were chocolate then had chocolate and white chocolate chips and were chewy. They stopped making them :headache:

I also LOVED the Dannon Le Creme raspberry yogurt, it was just heaven!!!!! Stopped making that too.

Here In Jersey every store carries L'Oreal kids, but I am having a hard time finding the Toy Story ones, I have tons of coupons for them, but I just can't find them.

Well, it's good to know that it's not completely gone. The last time I could get it, it had the Horton Hears a Who packaging. Now, the only shampoo geared towards kids and not babies is Suave. Not even a store brand or anything. Of course, I guess it's better that I was able to stock up on the L'Oreal that we liked (Mango) as I searched for a new shampoo for her, unlike the Sunsilk. I had emailed Sunsilk to ask if they were just changing the packaging, and their answer was that their product could be found in all major national retailers.

Same with the Purina One. Their answer was that there was no reason OUR dog shouldn't like the food since the new formula went over fabulously with the dogs that participated in the taste-test.

Well, it's good to know that it's not completely gone. The last time I could get it, it had the Horton Hears a Who packaging. Now, the only shampoo geared towards kids and not babies is Suave. Not even a store brand or anything. Of course, I guess it's better that I was able to stock up on the L'Oreal that we liked (Mango) as I searched for a new shampoo for her, unlike the Sunsilk. I had emailed Sunsilk to ask if they were just changing the packaging, and their answer was that their product could be found in all major national retailers.

Same with the Purina One. Their answer was that there was no reason OUR dog shouldn't like the food since the new formula went over fabulously with the dogs that participated in the taste-test.

That is what we like too :goodvibes, Woody's was mango scented, since we couldn't find that one we got the orange mango smoothie which smells the same.

I'm havign the same problem finding L'Oreal kids shampoos. In fact, they discontinued the one we really liked a year ago, and now I'm having trouble finding the Mango which is what we chose in substitution. I did stock up after the debacle last year, but still--what are they doing?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter