Disboutiquers Part 30 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Agreed! It is still snowing here (small town almost at the center of the state). I love Iowa but this is ridiculous! :headache:

Hello, from small town Iowa to small town Iowa! We have a blended family too! We have "yours, mine, and ours" now. Iowa IS a great state to live in. There could not be a better social structure. Nice people, fiscally responsible, forward thinking, great schools, open minds... but a freak of mother nature right now. :sad:

I thought I brought Florida back with us on April 29th. It only lasted two days...

Hello, from small town Iowa to small town Iowa!

I thought I brought Florida back with us on April 29th. It only lasted two days...

I'm also in a small Iowa town. About an hour south and west of Des Moines.

Thanks for those two days. Would you mind terribly going back and getting some more?:beach:

I miss this thread . . . but I haven't gotten to do any Disney sewing lately . . . I need to just come hang out over here so y'all can hold me accountable for the sewing I need to do (not Disney) - like the Bosco BowTie's I need to make!
We definitely like all sewing. Not just Disney sewing.;)

Again, remember I leave in 6 days. I am making Bettyann tops for all 3 girls for their trip to BBB all I have done on those is the appliques. I managed to finish 2 Nemo Bettyanns for my DD's as my niece doesn't like Nemo. My girls are both on the spectrum and typically only like to wear pillow case type tops because they are loose. I have tried other patterns to no avail. we tried the Bettyann and for the first 20 min all was well and now they bother them. I had to open the back and add longer elastic to make it looser. I still have 9-12 tops to make in these last 6 days well 4-5 really as we leave at 6:50 Am. So those last 9-12 tops will be pillow case tops as they go together so easily and quickly and won't cause meltdowns in my children LOL. Also, if I have time I am wanting to make a Vanessa top for myself (the adult version of the Bettyann). Here is what I have done so far:
946505_605370489476095_1219256323_n.jpg

941714_605376539475490_737959294_n.jpg

21327_605376576142153_2128432206_n.jpg
I love the Bettyann top. It turned out great. I hope your daughters will wear it now that you've added longer elastic. Did you manage to get all your other shirts done too? That was quite a long list and not very much time.

The tip was probably from you :) but it was SO long ago, I couldn't remember. I haven't sold the 770 yet, a couple people on FB interested but didn't get approval from the husbands. :( Going to try ebay but haven't had the energy to deal with it. :(

Good luck selling the 770 on ebay. I did super well on my Ellageo when I sold it there. But shipping was very expensive! I purposely undercharged shipping on my auction because high shipping keeps people from bidding. I figured that the bidding would go higher on an item with lower shipping charges and it did.

Love the shirt for your nephew. You are definitely the Queen of Bowling shirts! You do an excellent job on them. I always have one or two small mistakes each time I make one of those. And I dislike putting on collars.

Hello Disboutiquers!!! First time poster here. I found out about Disboutiquers through one of mom2rtk's trip reports and thought I would join in the fun!

For our first MK day, when we plan to meet Merida:

For our second MK day when we have breakfast reservations at CRT:

Welcome to the group! We're glad that you found us!
Love the dresses! I hope your daughters love the big surprise trip!

Anyone made kids capes? If so, done anything Disney theme. My DD has been wearing a bag (cloth shopping bag) around her neck and calling it her cape. I'm thinking I should buy/make them (twins) one for their birthday.
I did make capes a couple of years ago. It was a very cute reversible pattern that I found a free tutorial for on the internet. I made superman on one side and batman on the other side for the boys. For the girls I did supergirl on one side and a princess themed cape on the other side.

For my birthday I took a quilting class and came home with a barely used Bernina Artista 730 with an embroidery unit that came with it...I never thought I would really use the embroidery unit, but I took the follow up class that came with my machine and o.m.word...I love my embroidery unit and I already have hoop envy!

So I am soaking up your knowledge and dreaming of another trip to Disney so I can make some awesome shirts for the fam!
Congratulations on your new machine and welcome to the group! I have a Bernina serger that I love. Those machines are real workhorses!

Found some really cute Disney holiday fabric, got about 2 1/2 yards for $4.

I also got some good news, I think, while I was at Joann's yesterday. Our offer was countered for a house in TX and it was reasonable so I guess I have a new house ??? We still have to sign the new offer, which I thought we would have last night, but I am a bit scared and excited about the move.
Sorry that your trip to your dad's didn't go exactly as expected. We have had several vacations where they didn't work out so well and it is always very disappointing. You get so little time to get away and relax so when you do, you want it to be enjoyable.

What are you going to make with the Mickey fabric?

Good luck with the Texas house. I hope everything works out and that you love it. You will definitely be able to get in and see it when you get there. You just have to get the realtor to take you in. I hope your current house sells quickly. The real estate market has picked up quite a bit around here. In fact the house down the street from us got 12 offers the first week it was on the market.

I have to eat my words. I said in 10 years of embroidery that i've never had hoop envy(and I never have in the past) but that must be because I didn't hang around here. Now I have hoop envy! I will be buying a machine with a bigger hoop but not a 5x7, something bigger for sure.
You'll have to keep us posted on what you decide to buy. I have a Brother Innovis 4000d. I really like it. The largest hoop is a 6x10.

I have a new 770 (my husband thanks all of you ladies I am sure).

Some of the tutorials I have watched - they use and iron on stabilizer on the fabric before it is placed on to be stiched down. Does anyone do that step and is it worth it?

Kelly
Congratulations on your new 770. I am sure you will love using it.

I use cut away stabilizer for my shirts. It has always worked well for me. I have never tried the iron on stuff so I can't give you any advice about it.

I love the skirt. It turned out so well. I have never looked for tiger striped fabric but I will be keeping an eye out for it. It was very clever of you to make the skirt so that it can be worn for several years. I made my niece a couple of those twirly skirts and she loved them. I ended up making them bigger by taking off the top waistband and replacing it with a larger one. Your solution is much better! Sorry that you got snow in May. Dorine posted pictures of her yard and she had about 8 or 10 inches of snow yesterday! No way am I EVER moving north of where I am now!!!!

Hope you're staying sane and all the last details are coming together for you!

Yay for a new trip! I LOVED that timeframe last year and would go again at that time of year in a heartbeat! My last minute addition to our trip were fleece zips jackets that I bought and added appliques on felt to. They were the perfect weight for cool nights. I really need to replace the appliques with something new, but I can't bring myself to do it!

CB88D486-264F-4BA4-B3EB-389A897DB8D0-7052-000009922BB28981.jpg

I did some late night sewing for my dd on Tuesday before we went to a Tigers baseball game, but I haven't had time to upload pics yet. I will get to that and some other good news that happened today in my usual Sunday evening post. I've got to get to work tonight! Only 8 more sewing days until the craft show and 14 before our vacation! Eek!

Regards,
C.
I have a timeline of everything that have to do in the next week but I am pretty on top of things. There were a few last minute additions and changes but nothing substantial. My older dd was sick this week but she seems mostly better today and went back to school. Now I just have to pray that the rest of us don't get sick next week! I will post some pictures of the various things I made for the bat mitzvah.

I love the fleece jackets. You could definitely use them at the beach in the evenings. You are going very early in the season and the nights might be chilly. Maybe you can change out the applique to something beachy???

Good luck at the craft show!

Oh my goodness! Page 7! I hang my head in shame for not getting here before now!

The outfit is super cute! Don't forget to post that pic from ETWB!

Welcome! I hope you are able to find something cool for your badges! (whining) We never went to Disney when I was in Scouts! (We did go to the '84 World's Fair, though that was cool!)

Goodness! Lots of travel for you! I hope it all goes well!

14 per child! Whoa! That's amazing! Can't wait to see some pics! I only do half of the days we'll be there and then wash everything.

Welcome!

What a little cutie she was!

Great idea with the towels! Your shirt is cute, too! Hope you're staying sane and all the last details are coming together for you!

So much cuteness!

I have hesitated to try this, too. One of these days I may. Those onesies look great! Congrats on the new desk!

What an ordeal! How frustrating! I hope it's all repaired at their expense now!

Good luck getting it all done! The Nemo top is adorable!

Those Figment dresses are to die for!!!

Yay for a new trip! I LOVED that timeframe last year and would go again at that time of year in a heartbeat! My last minute addition to our trip were fleece zips jackets that I bought and added appliques on felt to. They were the perfect weight for cool nights. I really need to replace the appliques with something new, but I can't bring myself to do it!

CB88D486-264F-4BA4-B3EB-389A897DB8D0-7052-000009922BB28981.jpg

Welcome! Your dresses are lovely! I hope you have a wonderful time!

Welcome!

Congratulations, Grandma!! Another grand princess, how wonderful!

Welcome!

That skirt is beautiful! What a great idea to use button hole elastic! I really need to do that for my kids, too!

What are quilt clips? Sounds very useful! I still just roll and pin shirts to themselves.

I did some late night sewing for my dd on Tuesday before we went to a Tigers baseball game, but I haven't had time to upload pics yet. I will get to that and some other good news that happened today in my usual Sunday evening post. I've got to get to work tonight! Only 8 more sewing days until the craft show and 14 before our vacation! Eek!

Regards,
C.

Love the jackets!!!

Hello,

I am have lurked on the Disboutiquers thread for years but I'm a very novice seamstress, so I don't do a lot of posting. I have been given a challenge and am preparing to meet it, and I just knew you all would have ideas. We are taking my daughter to Disney for her first trip this September and we are booked in to BBB. However the only thing my girl wants is an Aurora dress - but NOT the pink one - the blue one from the movie (which she loves). I have talks to Disney and this is not a possibility anywhere in the parks. So, I'm looking at sewing it. A few years ago I ended up making my eldest daughter a Rapunzel dress because they weren't available in parks yet, and I took an existing flower girl dress and sewed an over skirt and bodice that laced over. I am wondering where to start for Aurora - I have an old Cindy dress I can start with but it isn't quite the right shape. I am worried about sewing it all from scratch, but maybe it wouldn't be too hard? Ideas?
Welcome! I will agree with the others - you can not go wrong with the Scientific Seamstress, her patterns and tutorials for making princess versions of her dresses are the best!!!

Hello everyone, I haven't checked in for a while. We leave in 6 days for a trip to WDW. we will be a large group this time as my Sister and her 2 kids are coming with us making us a group of 7. I finally got an embroidery machine and I figured I would make tops for my DDs and my niece. Easier said than done. I am a huge procrastinator and now it is nipping me in the butt.
I hope you can get everything done for your trip. I LOVE the princess appliques for the shirts and the Nemo one is beautiful. Enjoy your trip!

I'm just checking in since I haven't posted in quite a while!! The ladies on this thread (including my dear sister, teresajoy) got me sewing in 2007 and have led me to a wonderful career in digitizing embroidery designs! I'm so thankful to everyone for their encouragement through the years!! I love the Disboutiquers!

and some dancing bananas for good measure (do NOT forget the 3 banana minimum!)
:banana::banana::banana:
I think we have been slacking on the three banana minimum.

This is one project I got done this weekend, a shirt for my nephew for his 6th birthday next week. I found the fabric at the Sewing Expo and it is perfect cubs colors. I made him a Broncos one for Christmas and so I thought I would do a Cub one too, bought the fabric and 2 days later got a text from my brother that he was requesting a cubs one. Perfect timing!

I wish the logo on the back were higher, and I had some sort of total buttonhole failure so I messed up the top buttonhole, so I made a little felt patch and covered it up. It's for a 6 year old, so I think he won't care. I had my son try it on, he deemed it "too big, we should give it to Aydin." so that worked out perfectly!
Great job on the bowling shirt, that fabric is perfect. The little logo on the lapel is a nice touch and looks planned.

Teresa, this is for you.

Sept 2007 - the first thing I ever sewed.

And Jan 2013
Oh, so fun seeing the now and then pictures. Those figment dresses are great.

I was going to post something from 2007 too but I didn't want to dig for a photo that long. I think I'll see what all I can find. Not like I have any sewing to do or anything! Hope Tom doesn't read this post!

10524_311345345326_6195320_n.jpg

We'll go with JoJo, it is one of the first I saw that is kind of old but one of my favorites!

GRR! I can't find the picture I really want! I don't think I ever uploaded it to facebook yet! This one will have to do for the moment. I had a great large group picture of everyone and where you could see the kids jeans! I'll have to work on that later!

Heathersue gets credit for the LGM dress and Sawyer's shirt!
How cute. I LOVE that picture of the whole gang with Woody. The shirts and jeans you did were amazing, like usual.

Please forgive my other post. It took me a while to figure out how to update my signature. My baby will be 12 on Friday. It is hard to believe. We also had another addition for my signature. We booked a trip for Nov/Dec. We are soooooo excited.
Yeah for having a trip all planned and scheduled. That is a great time of year to see the parks and I can't wait to see what you make for your, not so little, boys.

Hello Disboutiquers!!! First time poster here. I found out about Disboutiquers through one of mom2rtk's trip reports and thought I would join in the fun!

So without further ado here are some projects I just made. We are going on our first ever family WDW trip in 2 weeks and I have made two of each of the following dresses for my twin daughters. The dresses, as well as the entire trip, is a complete surprise for them, so it has been a challenge to work on the dresses while they're at school and hide the material before they get home. :)

For our second MK day when we have breakfast reservations at CRT:

Welcome! These dresses are so pretty and I'm impressed that you are keeping your sewing and trip a secret. Have a great trip.

I have only been on this thread through two versions, but I'll say that this thread has encouraged me to buy an embroidery machine and get more serious about my sewing. Serious enough to clean my sewing room. :lmao:
:thumbsup2

Anyone made kids capes? If so, done anything Disney theme. My DD has been wearing a bag (cloth shopping bag) around her neck and calling it her cape. I'm thinking I should buy/make them (twins) one for their birthday.

Side note -- 10 days until our FIRST trip to WDW!! Can't wait! :cheer2:
:cool1: Your trip will be here before you know it. Are you doing the Star Wars weekends at DHS?

I love seeing your creations...so I am coming out of lurkdom to join the new thread. :) I had an older Brother that served me well for my little sewing tasks for 20+ years, but last fall I decided I wanted to learn to quilt.

For my birthday I took a quilting class and came home with a barely used Bernina Artista 730 with an embroidery unit that came with it...I never thought I would really use the embroidery unit, but I took the follow up class that came with my machine and o.m.word...I love my embroidery unit and I already have hoop envy!

So I am soaking up your knowledge and dreaming of another trip to Disney so I can make some awesome shirts for the fam!
Welcome! Can't wait to see what you make with your new toy.

Hopefully I can sew tomorrow, groceries today, so I can finish the hat for the outfit finally and ship her stuff to her. I hit up Goodwill yesterday and got some good buys. I got an Emerson CD/record/cassette/radio for my DH that I think he will like and picked up some fabric for a couple bucks a yard. Found some really cute Disney holiday fabric, got about 2 1/2 yards for $4.

I also got some good news, I think, while I was at Joann's yesterday. Our offer was countered for a house in TX and it was reasonable so I guess I have a new house ??? We still have to sign the new offer, which I thought we would have last night, but I am a bit scared and excited about the move. Also about paying two mortgages since our house hasn't sold yet. :worried::scared1::scared1: The house is gorgeous, I think from the pictures, but I haven't seen it in person yet. Only my Dh walked through, I still haven't been to TX yet at all. Will they let me walk through when I get there ? I arrive on the 9th of this month to "house hunt" but hopefully I can see the new house. Maybe I will try to schedule the inspection while I am there, then I know I get to go through it with them. The house is empty, bank owned, no no worries about inconveniencing homeowners.
Great score on the fabric. Good luck with the house search. Hope you can get to see the house soon. Scheduling an inspection for while you are there is probably a good idea, unless of course you don't like the house at all. Can you schedule it and then take a look at the house on your own first? I hope your house sells soon.

(First I apologize for not grabbing the quotes...but hey...I'm TIRED!)
Now, for my big news. Miss Amelia Elizabeth made her appearance in the world yesterday morning at 9:51. She weighed in at 8 lbs 2 oz and was 20 1/4 inches long. She was 3 weeks (and a few days) early.

The delivery did not go as planned, my daughter had some serious problems and they decided to do an emergency c-section. It changed, literally, within less than an hour! She will have to remain on anti-seizure meds for a couple more months, but we did have a wonderful outcome.

I felt a little sorry for my son in law. I told you he was a bit squeamish...well, I didn't get there quick enough to go into surgery with her, so he had to go in. He held up like a trooper and did a great job! I got to speak to him a few minutes before he went back and he had started to calm down a bit and he went through it with flying colors!

I'm sure there is more...but I guess I am still a bit more tired than I thought I was....

Nini
:cool1: Such great news. I am glad you were able to calm your Son IL down before he had to go into the surgery. So happy to hear that your daughter is doing well, besides the medicine, and that the baby is healthy.

Our drug of choice is awesome!
:lmao: I love that Dallas created the "mom" on your shirt. :goodvibes I didn't realize that the Rex/Cone was a last minute change. I guess working at 2 am has its rewards.

This thread makes me want to try my hand at sewing..I haven't done it since school in textiles..we did a hat. And it was quite a good looking hat, even if I say so myself.

I'm going to attempt a stuffed toy of a character from a video game I play at some point, but I have no clue where to start or the best way to go about making the pattern.
Glad to hear you want to start sewing again. Personally I think a stuffed toy might be a tough first project but I'm sure it will be cute. If you get discouraged with that I am sure you can find some other really easy projects to make.

I have a new 770 (my husband thanks all of you ladies I am sure). I did my first applique last night and it came out pretty good. I now know how closely I need to trim the fabric - wasnt sure until after the satin stitch ran.

I had some issues with thread breaking but I think I just need to get a better handle on threading - that might have been user error.

Some of the tutorials I have watched - they use and iron on stabilizer on the fabric before it is placed on to be stiched down. Does anyone do that step and is it worth it? I am using cutaway stabilizer and it seemed to work well but was curious if adding the iron on to the fabric makes the fabric stay down better and maybe not pucker when washed.

Just trying to lesson the learning curve here as we leave in about 6 weeks and I need to get busy. If only my 3 year old darlings would cooperate at naptime.

Thanks and I will be back to post some pictures soon.

Kelly
I think as long as your cut away stabilizer is tight in the hoop and the item you are sewing is tight you should be good.

Yay, I finally got the animal print twirly skirt finished. It has (I think) 14 animals embroidered on it. None of them are very big, but they took forever! Plus I always try to do doubles for future use when I'm doing things like this. I made it multi-directional so she can wear whichever animal she feels like in front. Plus I used button elastic. So it will fit her 20 inch waist now, but still be able to be worn up to about a 28 inch waist. Probably forever, she's on the scrawny side.
Now for the important part - pics!

And now for one photo I don't appreciate

Taken today - May the 2nd. Really!?! Yes, that white stuff is what you think it is. :sad2:
That skirt is amazing, so many animals!! Great idea to do the button hole elastic. Really, snow on your tulips!!! At least it looks like it will melt soon.

I have been trying to shirr on my brother cs6000i. I have read the hints online, tried stitch length, tension, hand winding the elastic thread in the bobbin, no luck. Anyone get their brother cs6000i to shirr? If so what helped?
Sorry, I can't help with this one but I hope you figure it out.

Regards,
C.
Yikes! Hope you can get all your sewing done. Only two weeks to go. :)

Ok, I know it isn't sewing but I thought I'd share a few things that I made for the bat mitzvah. Here is the girls' candle lighting board:

Then these are some of the centerpieces:

And here are more centerpieces:;

I also made 18 tablecloths and a bunch of other stuff. I made their tallitots too. I think I shared pictures of them already.

Purple ears.....love the quilt clip idea, although I have no idea what they are. But anything to keep shirts out of the way would make me happy!!!!

Lastly......help!!!!!!!
I have been trying to shirr on my brother cs6000i. I have read the hints online, tried stitch length, tension, hand winding the elastic thread in the bobbin, no luck. Anyone get their brother cs6000i to shirr? If so what helped?

These are quilt clips: http://amzn.com/B004ZKPX8A which are like small plastic clothespins that are flat on one side, so they lay flat when you're sewing. You basically use them to hold the quilt binding in place which is MUCH easier than pinning it. I have used them on a few quilts and I am very happy with how they hold everything in place, I never thought to use them on my shirts, but I will now! I always read to use binder clips or hair clips but they are so bulky they ended up being more of a problem. These are so small, like maybe 1/2 inch long. Such an awesome idea!

Do you guys resell the clothes you make for your kids after vaca? You people are amazing!!
I was just actually wondering what to do with mine when my kids are done with it. I have a ton of things I made for my kids' trip last year that is already getting too small for one kid (the other kid might be able to wear it forever at his current growth rate...) but I can't part with it, they are all my FAVORITES! Crazy sentimental attachment, I guess. My boys still LOVE to wear their outfits though, and I intend to let them until they are too small. They wore their Mickey bowling shirts to preschool yesterday for Disney day, they said none of the other kids had Mickey shirts, "only princesses and cars" they said. I do sort of wonder if the preschool thinks I made special outfits for each theme, since they have reused their Disney AK Safari vests for Jungle Safari Day and The Buzz Lightyear Bowling shirts for Space day plus they had shirts I made for Valentines, Easter and St. Patricks Day. With 2 themes a week, I am not making a special shirt each time!

We definitely like all sewing. Not just Disney sewing.;)

Good luck selling the 770 on ebay. I did super well on my Ellageo when I sold it there. But shipping was very expensive! I purposely undercharged shipping on my auction because high shipping keeps people from bidding. I figured that the bidding would go higher on an item with lower shipping charges and it did.

Love the shirt for your nephew. You are definitely the Queen of Bowling shirts! You do an excellent job on them. I always have one or two small mistakes each time I make one of those. And I dislike putting on collars.
Funny, the collars don't bother me but I mess up the sleeves nearly every time... Together we can make an awesome bowling shirt!
I have had pretty good success with selling stuff on ebay in the past but it is just a lot of time and effort I just don't have/want to expend right now. Too much going on.

In other news, today is my 180 days until our Halloween/Boys' Birthday trip so I got up early and put on a Spiderman cartoon to captivate the kids and got ALL the reservations I wanted! Time to get going on outfits! We're doing Be Our Guest on their actual birthday for dinner, and I did get breakfast at the castle with princesses at the request of my son who thinks we should go there to meet princesses (Such the ladies man.)
I also got them registered at the pirates league and got tickets to the halloween party. Now just 6 more months of waiting.

Welcome! We may be able to better help you if we knew which character you are trying to create. I usually start by studying pictures from different angles and sketching out ideas.

The character I'm making into a stuffed toy is the Sentry Turret from Portal. It's so cute! (And I have an excuse to play it now, LOL)

Glad to hear you want to start sewing again. Personally I think a stuffed toy might be a tough first project but I'm sure it will be cute. If you get discouraged with that I am sure you can find some other really easy projects to make.

Yeah, maybe it's not the best idea to attempt for a first project! With my Mum's help though, I'm sure it'll turn out fine.

Lastly......help!!!!!!!

Do you have the gathering foot? I don't have that machine, but I recently bought a gathering foot for a Husqvarna. You don't have to adjust anything, just put the foot on.

Yours says it will do slight gathering, so adding that to the elastic in the bobbin should do the trick.
http://www.brother-usa.com/homesewing/modeldetail.aspx?productid=cs6000i#.UYPohaK87oI

checking in so I can easily follow the thread when I can snatch a few minutes here and there. Life has been downright chaotic for me, but I do enjoy lurking when I can and seeing all your wonderful creations.

Diane: LOVE LOVE LOVE the centerpieces you made for the girls! their bat mitzvah (sp?) is going to be FANTASTIC!

Ninni: CONGRATS on the new granddaughter! Praying for a smooth recovery for your DD.

pryxtc: CONGRATS on the new house! hope it's just as nice as you've seen from the pics!

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Sunshine

:cool1: Your trip will be here before you know it. Are you doing the Star Wars weekends at DHS?

We're leaving on Saturday 5/18 (no park for us...long drive day) and have our last day Friday 5/17 pretty open. One ADR at Crystal Palace for lunch and we can do anything that strikes our fancy around that. DH is kind of interested in seeing the Star Wars characters, but since it is our last day we'll just have to do what the two year olds want...so perhaps! :rotfl:

Funny, the collars don't bother me but I mess up the sleeves nearly every time... Together we can make an awesome bowling shirt!

In other news, today is my 180 days until our Halloween/Boys' Birthday trip so I got up early and put on a Spiderman cartoon to captivate the kids and got ALL the reservations I wanted! Time to get going on outfits! We're doing Be Our Guest on their actual birthday for dinner, and I did get breakfast at the castle with princesses at the request of my son who thinks we should go there to meet princesses (Such the ladies man.)
I also got them registered at the pirates league and got tickets to the halloween party. Now just 6 more months of waiting.
Ok, I will do 1/2 a shirt and then mail it to you and you can do the rest. :lmao:
So glad that you got all your desired reservations! That's great. I love that your boys want to eat with the princesses. We have done breakfast at Cinderella's palace twice. To tell you the truth, I prefer the princess dinner at Akershus (sp???) more. I felt there was more and better interaction with the princesses and my kids ate much more of the food. But the Cinderella castle is an awesome experience, especially for the real little ones.

Diane: LOVE LOVE LOVE the centerpieces you made for the girls! their bat mitzvah (sp?) is going to be FANTASTIC!

Sunshine
Thanks!:blush:

I saw that there was a question about shirring with a Brother but I didn't manage to snag the quote. Anyhow, I have a Brother and the trick to getting it to shirr correctly, is to make sure that the elastic thread is in the bobbin area properly. I put my bobbin in and wind the elastic thread all the way through but then I don't use the self cutting thingy to cut it short. I hold it and bring the needle down to catch the bobbin thread. Does that make sense? There are all kinds of things on the web that suggest changing your bobbin case's tension and doing lots of other stuff. I don't do ANY of that. Just make sure you catch that elastic bobbin thread correctly and it will shirr like a dream.

Ok, I know it isn't sewing but I thought I'd share a few things that I made for the bat mitzvah. Here is the girls' candle lighting board:

I also made 18 tablecloths and a bunch of other stuff. I made their tallitots too. I think I shared pictures of them already.

Super cute centerpieces!!

Lastly......help!!!!!!!

Try IRONING with LOTS of steam after you do the shirring. It usually helps tighten up the stitching.

not specific to your machine, but see if any of the troubleshooting tips on this page help:

http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2011/11/sewing-tip-shirringsmocking-with-elastic-thread.html

Hope you get it to work!
Sunshine

I just wrestled my first tshirt on the embroidery machine. I think I am being too much a perfectionist about the tension in the hoop. I didn't get it what I consider perfect, but the machine worked just fine until she decided she liked the taste of stabilizer. It was just one letter, so for what I wanted to do (basically test it on knits) it worked okay. And I know what I did to make it better.

Nini - Your grandbaby's name just sunk in. Amelia was my maternal grandmother's name and Elizabeth is my mom's name.

Sorry to all of those who had snow.

I think I lost a bunch of quotes. But everything I saw looks amazing!

Nini... congrats on your baby girl.

I miss this thread . . . but I haven't gotten to do any Disney sewing lately . . . I need to just come hang out over here so y'all can hold me accountable for the sewing I need to do (not Disney) - like the Bosco BowTie's I need to make!

:rolleyes1 Don't you have a TR to still finish .... just sayin'

Teresa, this is for you.

Sept 2007 - the first thing I ever sewed.

I wish I was sewing back then just so I could have that fabric.

Okay, took me forever to find this. Hopefully you'll can see it!!

549600_10152322389670327_2101278993_n.jpg

Teresajoy gets credit for the Buzz dress!

What a great picture.

So without further ado here are some projects I just made. We are going on our first ever family WDW trip in 2 weeks and I have made two of each of the following dresses for my twin daughters. The dresses, as well as the entire trip, is a complete surprise for them, so it has been a challenge to work on the dresses while they're at school and hide the material before they get home. :)

Great job on the dresses.

I have to eat my words. I said in 10 years of embroidery that i've never had hoop envy(and I never have in the past) but that must be because I didn't hang around here. Now I have hoop envy! I will be buying a machine with a bigger hoop but not a 5x7, something bigger for sure.

I went from my 4x4 to 5x7 within 3 mths and then I still had hoop envy and bought my 6x10 machine this summer.

Yay, I finally got the animal print twirly skirt finished. It has (I think) 14 animals embroidered on it. None of them are very big, but they took forever! Plus I always try to do doubles for future use when I'm doing things like this. I made it multi-directional so she can wear whichever animal she feels like in front. Plus I used button elastic. So it will fit her 20 inch waist now, but still be able to be worn up to about a 28 inch waist. Probably forever, she's on the scrawny side.

Note the tiger striped waistband. I searched for a month for tiger striped cotton. I found tiger striped fleece, tiger striped silky fabric, tiger striped fur, tiger striped flannel, blue tiger stripes, green tiger stripes and even some tiger striped ribbon - but no tiger colored cotton tiger striped fabric!

Love the skirt

The outfit is super cute! Don't forget to post that pic from ETWB!
C.

Thanks.... I still need to finish up my photopass pics so I can order the CD.

Everything looks amazing. I hope you post pictures of the table clothes too. I remember when you were trying to get more fabric.:lmao:

Oh it's still around. It is in my hoard forever pile of fabric!! :rotfl:!

Well I meant that I could get ahold of!!!! Lol

Now, for my big news. Miss Amelia Elizabeth made her appearance in the world yesterday morning at 9:51. She weighed in at 8 lbs 2 oz and was 20 1/4 inches long. She was 3 weeks (and a few days) early.

The delivery did not go as planned, my daughter had some serious problems and they decided to do an emergency c-section. It changed, literally, within less than an hour! She will have to remain on anti-seizure meds for a couple more months, but we did have a wonderful outcome.

I felt a little sorry for my son in law. I told you he was a bit squeamish...well, I didn't get there quick enough to go into surgery with her, so he had to go in. He held up like a trooper and did a great job! I got to speak to him a few minutes before he went back and he had started to calm down a bit and he went through it with
Nini

Congrats on your new grand baby. :cloud9:

null_zps2d08b866.jpg
[/URL]

I also got some good news, I think, while I was at Joann's yesterday. Our offer was countered for a house in TX and it was reasonable so I guess I have a new house ??? We still have to sign the new offer, which I thought we would have last night, but I am a bit scared and excited about the move. Also about paying two mortgages since our house hasn't sold yet. :worried::scared1::scared1: The house is gorgeous, I think from the pictures, but I haven't seen it in person yet. Only my Dh walked through, I still haven't been to TX yet at all. Will they let me walk through when I get there ? I arrive on the 9th of this month to "house hunt" but hopefully I can see the new house. Maybe I will try to schedule the inspection while I am there, then I know I get to go through it with them. The house is empty, bank owned, no no worries about inconveniencing homeowners.

Love the Mickey fabric & what a great deal!!!

Note the tiger striped waistband. I searched for a month for tiger striped cotton. I found tiger striped fleece, tiger striped silky fabric, tiger striped fur, tiger striped flannel, blue tiger stripes, green tiger stripes and even some tiger striped ribbon - but no tiger colored cotton tiger striped fabric! Until two days ago when the main part of the skirt was already put together.:confused3
And now for one photo I don't appreciate

I absolutely love those skirts! How did ou make them?? Im in process of deciding on animal kingdom outfits for my kiddos.

Great centerpieces!!!

These pictures are inspiring me to explore my sewing machine's higher functions. I love all the themed clothing!

I don't know why this never occurred to me! I have tried binder clips and hair clips and they always end up in the way of the preset foot mechanism. I have a huge thing of quilt clips which are much smaller! Brilliant. Changed my life just now.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Glad to hear that I helped someone in their sewing ;)

Purple ears.....love the quilt clip idea, although I have no idea what they are. But anything to keep shirts out of the way would make me happy!!!!

Lastly......help!!!!!!!

I noticed that Jen explained what quilt clips are. I just decided to give them a whirl the other day and they made my day! They are also great for working with materials that cannot be pinned (like vinyl).

I would make sure you leave long tails of both the top thread and the elastic thread in the bobbin on each end so they don't pull out.

What are quilt clips? Sounds very useful! I still just roll and pin shirts to themselves.

Regards,
C.

I guess I am just not very good at rolling and pinning the shirts! I am sure the vacation will be a nice treat after the craft show!

Beautiful! I think you should explore a career as a party decorator!

These are quilt clips: http://amzn.com/B004ZKPX8A which are like small plastic clothespins that are flat on one side, so they lay flat when you're sewing. You basically use them to hold the quilt binding in place which is MUCH easier than pinning it. I have used them on a few quilts and I am very happy with how they hold everything in place, I never thought to use them on my shirts, but I will now! I always read to use binder clips or hair clips but they are so bulky they ended up being more of a problem. These are so small, like maybe 1/2 inch long. Such an awesome idea!

Thanks for explaining the quilt clips. I just thought they may help one day and sure enough, they did. I hope others will find that useful too!

Hooray for 180 days and getting all the reservations you wanted. I can't wait to see the outfits you will make for the trip!

The character I'm making into a stuffed toy is the Sentry Turret from Portal. It's so cute! (And I have an excuse to play it now, LOL)

Yeah, maybe it's not the best idea to attempt for a first project! With my Mum's help though, I'm sure it'll turn out fine.

I looked at a picture of Sentry Turret and it certainly doesn't look like the easiest item to make! I am sure you will get it done though :)

I saw that there was a question about shirring with a Brother but I didn't manage to snag the quote. Anyhow, I have a Brother and the trick to getting it to shirr correctly, is to make sure that the elastic thread is in the bobbin area properly. I put my bobbin in and wind the elastic thread all the way through but then I don't use the self cutting thingy to cut it short. I hold it and bring the needle down to catch the bobbin thread. Does that make sense? There are all kinds of things on the web that suggest changing your bobbin case's tension and doing lots of other stuff. I don't do ANY of that. Just make sure you catch that elastic bobbin thread correctly and it will shirr like a dream.

I totally agree with what Diane suggests!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter