Disboutiquers Part 28 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

I have a hand-me-down from my mom. It's a singer from the mid 60s. It works well but I would like a tune up. Any ideas where to look for repair? I do have a newer macihine but always liked the way this one worked. I'm so jealous of all the beautiful work you all do! I live in the Detroit area. I will put a picture of it up if I can figure out how. I just signed up for my 1st big give ( blankets) so I need to get busy. I did send blankets for the Haiti project but those required no sewing.

Thank you..if I cant get ti moving myself I will look for somewhere to take it :)

here she is:
th_005-2.jpg

and the problem area:
th_003-2.jpg

its the round thing that spins under the bobbin..if my goggle skills are correct..called the hook? It spins so far..then stops...i can push it past the stuck spot and it spins to get stuck in the same spot again, forwards and back. Id like to try to troubleshoot myself..because to take it somewhere would have to wait..I doubt after what i spent on fabric this weekend DH would let me spend any more on sewing stuff for a bit :p
I am wondering if that is the same machine D has. She has lots of info about fixing and restoring machines on her ptr. I'll mention for her to come over and look at your pics.

aaakkk sorry for the huge pictures! :scared:

Big pics help! The black lever lifts, and then shifts away from the bobbin assembly, which can then be lifted out to see the underside. Your machine looks like my DH's grandmothers of the same vintage. I'm going to go look at it now because I happen to have it in my possession!

Here are some items I recently did for Justin's BG that the family has received. Amy helped by buying the shirts, Heather helped by giving us all the designs, and Amy paid for the shipping. Amy's dd Allison also enclosed an AWESOME picture in the package.

Peter Pan is for Justin, Captain Hook is for Hayden and Callie naturally gets twirly Tink.

I am not thrilled with the Tink -- the greens all lined up as did the lavenders but there was no way to make it look good -- I like the Tink I did for Glo much better. I still think it's decent though and hope Callie enjoys the dress (she's modeling it in the ptr).

Boy's Shirts:
BGJustinPPCH.jpg

PP.jpg

BGJustinCH.jpg

Dress:
BGJustinTink1.jpg

BGJustinTink2.jpg

Some close ups:
BGJustinTink3.jpg

BGJustinTink4.jpg

BGJustinTink5.jpg

BGJustinTink6.jpg

Well, I was wrong, but someone in the family had one like that at some point because I remember the front looking just like that. :). I'd still try moving that lever and see if that gets you under the bobbin. I'd also google the machine, YouTube may have a fix it tute, and you might find repair instructions online. Dorine has done several restorations, she may be more help when she pops in.

TinkNH!!! I was wrong!!! Don't unscrew the black screw!!! The lever flips over it to the right to remove the assembly. I'll post pics in a min, just wanted to catch you. Hopefully I did.

I just realized I can edit here, amazing since Ive been a DIS person for years now, lol. Here's the pic of the guts of my bobbin assembly, its a differrent model, but probably of the same vintage since that part looks the same. This is with the black lever lifted over to the right, and the bobbin assembly removed. Once you move the lever, the bobbin casing kind of rotates and lifts out easily. I used a screwdriver for leverage because I don't have any nails.
d814bc36.jpg

once you do this, before you put back the bobbin casing, run the flywheel in both directions to see if you have full motion. I bet this will help you find your problem, if not fix it entirely.

Andrea-- cute ts and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the dress! Its just adorable!!

TBMom..I did slide the thing to the left and remove the bobbin casing, and cant SEE anything causing the hook (I think thats what it is called ) to stop spinning..it seems to get stuck in the one spot I cant see..of course!

oh yes D~ I just read her TR and am starting her PTR...she may be the reason I want to get this girl going..she has fueled a need in me to learn applique. Dont tell my mom..shes been trying to get me to learn to sew for over 30 years...I cant bear to tell her Disney did what she failed to do :rotfl:

Keeping in mind that I have no little kids to sew for :( What should I make next?? So far I have made a few pair of easy fits and a coin purse (currently making another one for my nephew.)

I downloaded the pattern for the rosetta bag, but I've never made ruffles before. I also bout some skirt patterns that say EASY on them, but I don't know if I feel ready for that.

Is the rosetta bag super difficult??
I think I would start with the skirt before the Rosetta bag. Then you will learn ruffling before you start the bag. My girls who are 11 and 13 made skirts last year and they were pretty easy.

morning!

My mother just stopped by..and gifted me with her old sewing machine...and I have no idea what to do with it.

This thing weighs a TON compared to my new little one. I can remember her sewing on this in the 70s when I was a kid, she says she made most of my baby clothes on it so it must be from the late 60s early 70s. It smells like basement so I am hoping ti will air out some, and that i can figure out how to use it!
Definitely take it in and get it cleaned and tuned up. An older machine has parts made out of metal and not plastic.

Andrea, LOVE the Tink dress!!! I'd wear it. :rotfl: I've been hoarding Tink fabric for years, I think I'll make something similar as a skirt for my DD. She's been asking for a new patchwork twirl.

Thanks for sharing.

TinkNH!!! I was wrong!!! Don't unscrew the black screw!!! The lever flips over it to the right to remove the assembly. I'll post pics in a min, just wanted to catch you. Hopefully I did.

I just realized I can edit here, amazing since Ive been a DIS person for years now, lol. Here's the pic of the guts of my bobbin assembly, its a differrent model, but probably of the same vintage since that part looks the same. This is with the black lever lifted over to the right, and the bobbin assembly removed. Once you move the lever, the bobbin casing kind of rotates and lifts out easily. I used a screwdriver for leverage because I don't have any nails.
d814bc36.jpg

once you do this, before you put back the bobbin casing, run the flywheel in both directions to see if you have full motion. I bet this will help you find your problem, if not fix it entirely.

gets stuck still...could i possibly use the vacuum to gently dust around in there?

ok..assuming the fly wheel is the thing on the side..I can turn that freely..the needle goes up and down..teh feed dogs move but that thing does not spin at all.

I can push it with my fingers and sometimes when it sticks i can go in the other direction ...sometimes i can push past the stuck part and continue so I am thinking there could be thread stuck under where I cant see? Is it supposed to turn when you manually turn the wheel because it does not move at all when i do that..even when it is not in the stuck spot.

well..now I can get teh hook to turn all the way in either direction..but it still does not spin when I turn the wheel or run the machine as if sewing.

I hope its not broken completely :(

well..now I can get teh hook to turn all the way in either direction..but it still does not spin when I turn the wheel or run the machine as if sewing.

I hope its not broken completely :(

It probably just needs to go to the machine Dr. The old ones have metal internal structures, and they last much longer than the newer ones that are mostly plastic, so most things are fixable. Looking at your machine I can see dust and inside it may have even more (And I KNOW mine does! :rotfl:) Its a small investment to make to have a reliable working machine. Around here it costs about $70 for a cleaning and basic tune up on the non-computerized machines.

Andrea...I keep looking at the embroidery on your dress, and I'm falling in love. I=:lovestruc I haven't done any on a patchwork before...what size did you make your squares? I've got the stuff to do a Minnie one here ready to go, I might add some embroidery to it.

I am sending some scrapbook stuff and busy bags for the plane..there are also things like t shirts with iron ons and stuff..lots of info on the thread over there :)

Cool, thanks for the info I will check it out when we get back from Disney :goodvibes

Andrea, the TINK dress is gorgeous! My DD LOVES Tink and her first comment was..."mama can you buy that for me" ......AWESOME job on all of it!

Ladies, I have a huge problem. I just discovered there is a HUGE fabric store about 2 minutes from my work!!!

I went there during my lunch break! They have a HUGE selection, but it is a little pricey. A lot of stuff was 10.99 a yard but it was so cute! And I found some really cute Wizard of Oz material on clearance for $5.99, so that is cool. The best part is they offer a lot of classes, including a four hour beginning sewing class, including how to do zippers!! And it is $35, so I might do that, just as a good refresher. The last time I sewed a zipper was in home ec, and that was in...1989? They also have a class on sewing cloth diapers and quilting.

Anyway, I'm excited about that. Do you all have any favorites for getting fabric? Do you shop at big stores mostly or from ebay? Etsy? Where can I get good prices?

Also, Tori is going to be an ambassador for the Ride for Wishes, which is a motorcycle ride to raise money for Make a Wish. I'd like to make a "Disney motorcycle" themed outfit for her to wear. Are there any cool "Tough Mickey" appliques or fabrics? I am probably going to get some "flame" kind of fabric since a lot of their bikes have that.

Ladies, I have a huge problem. I just discovered there is a HUGE fabric store about 2 minutes from my work!!!

I went there during my lunch break! They have a HUGE selection, but it is a little pricey. A lot of stuff was 10.99 a yard but it was so cute! And I found some really cute Wizard of Oz material on clearance for $5.99, so that is cool. The best part is they offer a lot of classes, including a four hour beginning sewing class, including how to do zippers!! And it is $35, so I might do that, just as a good refresher. The last time I sewed a zipper was in home ec, and that was in...1989? They also have a class on sewing cloth diapers and quilting.

Anyway, I'm excited about that. Do you all have any favorites for getting fabric? Do you shop at big stores mostly or from ebay? Etsy? Where can I get good prices?

Also, Tori is going to be an ambassador for the Ride for Wishes, which is a motorcycle ride to raise money for Make a Wish. I'd like to make a "Disney motorcycle" themed outfit for her to wear. Are there any cool "Tough Mickey" appliques or fabrics? I am probably going to get some "flame" kind of fabric since a lot of their bikes have that.

Here are some items I recently did for Justin's BG that the family has received. Amy helped by buying the shirts, Heather helped by giving us all the designs, and Amy paid for the shipping. Amy's dd Allison also enclosed an AWESOME picture in the package.

Peter Pan is for Justin, Captain Hook is for Hayden and Callie naturally gets twirly Tink.

I am not thrilled with the Tink -- the greens all lined up as did the lavenders but there was no way to make it look good -- I like the Tink I did for Glo much better. I still think it's decent though and hope Callie enjoys the dress (she's modeling it in the ptr).

Dress:
th_BGJustinTink1.jpg

th_BGJustinTink2.jpg

Some close ups:
th_BGJustinTink3.jpg

th_BGJustinTink4.jpg

th_BGJustinTink5.jpg

th_BGJustinTink6.jpg

I love this dress ? Can I ask the pattern ?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter